Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was told, Im ruining my surgery

Hotpink, just an fyi (in case no one has already told you)...protein will curb your hunger quicker than bread. Your body converts bread into sugar, which increases your insulin, which makes your blood sugar rise, which causes you to be hungry! (I think that's in the correct order.) Insulin levels tell the body to store carbohydrates as fat, they also tell it not to release any stored fat. Sooo...to reiterate what everyone else is telling you...consider your food choices. That said, one breadstick shouldn't undo the work you've already done.

Good luck!

hmmmm I completely agree with Jachnut's philosophy. Having the band does not mean you have to avoid certain foods entirely. For those of you who are on her case for eating a breadstick and a piece of pizza (oooooh, the horror!!!)....give her a break.

It doesn't mean she eats like that all the time.....she can have a breadstick or a piece of pizza if she wants!!! Yeesh! Yeah, it is a lifestyle change....but it also isn't supposed to be about total deprivation!!!!

As long as the healthier choice is made more often than not...there is no harm.

I also agree with Jachnut....it was a victory.

Hmmmmm....glass half empty or half full?!

Don't worry 'bout it bubbles!

Did you get diet guidlines from your surgeon's office? Or did you talk to a dietician there? He or she should have told you what sort of things you can and can't eat and how often. And if the occasional breadstick would make the band useless. So would reading different posts on here, I think. What did you actually say to your father after he made that comment? You seem awfully angry and upset about it. I can see how it would annoy you, but you seem more than annoyed. I think you should consider working with a therapist to help you deal with some of the emotional issues that come along with weight and weight loss.

With all due respect to your dad, the statement he made was probably made in some level of ignorance about the band, and most probably in some level of fear for your well-being. It says more about him and his emotions, than it does to sit in judgment of you. You "heard" judgement, but I will bet a nickel it was worry.

Just something to think about.

There's so many angles here.

I agree with Jachut in that "everything in moderation" was my motto until the last few months. It worked for me, then I hit a plateau and my weight loss stopped. Do what you feel is right for you and what works for you.

I agree with Mousecrazy in that your Dad probably had the best of intentions. Especially since he's seen what you've gone through to get where you are so far. Your mind set is on the defense and will be for some time.

Someone also was kind enough to mention that Proteins will keep you feeling satisfied longer. That's true as well.

My position at this point is that you had this surgery for a reason. It's only a tool. It only works as hard as YOU work IT. You must also make necessary lifestyle changes towards a healthy lifestyle. That's not to say that you can't have that pizza and breadsticks once in a while. But I wouldn't make a habit of it. IMHO, that would be defeating the band regardless of your fill and restriction level.

Whats has worked best for me is making small changes over time. The changes are easier to incorporate into my life. This from a person who really resisted exercise and now looks forward to it. I still allow myself the occasional treats, but I limit them and know that I make the best decisions I can on other occasions.

Good luck to you on your journey,

My husband hovers over me when I eat. It's annoying, but I know he's trying to be helpful.

Remember that you have no restriction yet so you may be able to eat anything and everything. The fact that you aren't, and that you are losing, is great. But you're still just practicing being a bandster until you have restriction. It will happen in time. In the meantime, you keep practivccing and keep thinking about what you want your new healthy eating lifestyle to be like, and head that way. I'm not one who believes in moderation alone...I want to become a total health nut,.... You ahve to decide how you want this thing to work.

Number one, it's sooooo not anyone else's business what you eat.

Number two, any and all foods are acceptable and allowed on the band as long as your body can tolerate them (aka: keep them down)

My one comment would be that if I eat something like a breadstick or a bagel or another carb, I will be starving, famished really, within a hour. My experience is that for the band to work, I have to center all of my meals on heavy doses of Protein in order to feel full.

If I want a breadstick I will eat maybe half of it along with a larger portion of meat, tofu, chicken, or fish. This way, I get my Protein in and am 100% more satisfied than with the carb alone.

I did an experiment one morning where I ate half a bagel for Breakfast. I was so hungry within an hour I felt faint.

The next morning I had a half cup of cottage cheese. I was satisfied until lunch, about four hours.

Same thing with Pasta, potatoes, and other carbs. When I do eat them I always pair them with protein in order to feel satisfied.

On one slice of pizza, there's maybe what, one ouce to 1.5 ounces of cheese? That's like 8 grams of protein max. I aim for 15-20 grams per meal and I am much much more full than when I have carb-rich meals.

But in any case, food choices are totally up to you, not anyone else.