Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sick and Tired of Soup!

I know this is a minor thing, and that there are other, much larger more important issues that are discussed here on this board. I also know that this is only temporary and that 'before I know it', I will be able to eat real food again, but in the mean time, by gosh, I am sick and tired of Soup and skim milk banana Protein smoothies!

I get to advance to 'soft foods' on Wednesday. Never in my life have I looked so forward to cottage cheese and apple sauce!

Somebody slap me and tell me to quit whining! Particularly since I can't even have any cheese with my whine :)

Originally posted by live2canoe

Somebody slap me and tell me to quit whining! Particularly since I can't even have any cheese with my whine :)

You are TOO funny! LOL You will survive and those soft foods will taste so delicious! How are you feeling (other than starving)? :D

Hi Marie -

I'm feeling better, thanks for asking. Last night was the first night I was able to sleep comfortably in my own bed all night long. I didn't have to get up and switch to the couch, and I could sleep on my side! It's those little things, ya know!

A couple of days post op I had a couple of coughing fits that hurt so bad they made me cry. One happened when I was driving home from the airport and it hurt so bad I had to pull the car over to the side of the highway. I was certain I had flipped my port or damaged it. I was surprised it didn't come shooting out me the way it hurt so bad. I think all of that put me behind the healing curve a bit.

Now, I'm feeling fairly normal. Coughing and sneezing still aren't any fun, but I don't cry anymore.

And yes, I'm hungry! I wanna slap those folks who say, "well, since my surgery I just ' haven't been hungry "

Please! I am obsessed with the thought of food right now.

Tell me how you all got through this!

Kim, you're very, very normal! The first few days I wasn't hungry. But then hunger came back with a vengenance! And it seemed like all the t.v. commercials were about FOOD! Aaaah! I have stopped watching so much t.v. since being banded. T.V. and snacking just go "hand in hand" for me. That's when I found out just how much my life had revolved around food. I didn't eat huge meals, but I snacked all the time (unhealthy foods of course). I went through a "grieving time" over food.

Try to find things to do that don't involve food....a nice long tub soak, nap, walk in the neighborhood, visit with someone that you've been meaning to catch up with, read a good book, etc. Do you have any hobbies that you enjoy?

Do you have a small pillow to put against your abdomen when you cough? Leatha folds a flat sheet and tapes it together to use. You can take a liquid cough suppressant, if needed (like Robitussin).

That first night of real sleep is wonderful, isn't it? It sounds like you are on the mend. Please give yourself time to heal and adjust. (Hey, I'm still working on "adjusting".) We can't just undo our food habits overnight. But we can improve day by day! And in the process, regain our health and our quality of life! Come here and talk to others who really understand what you're talking about.

You're a bandster!!!!:)

Sorry to hear your having a tough time.:think I think all is this relatively normal. Do make yourself a 'cough' pillow/tummy splint for those bouts of coughing/sneezing. Question : do you notice that these bouts of coughing and sneezing are associated with drinking/eating? I had the strangest bouts of coughing when I drank sitting down. I haven't heard many others complain of this, but mine were definitely associated with drinking in the sitting position. They were uncontrollable - like a bad itchy cough and very suddenly onset. If I stood, it was relieved. I think (I know) I have a very very sensitive vagal nerve and I think that had something to do with these crazy bouts of coughing. Try to think back or pay attention to when this happens going forward. It might help you to make adjustments to avoid it.

About the hunger. There really is no limit to what you can take in during liquid phases. I spaced my drinks out over the day and seemed like I was consistently putting something in my mouth. Protein Drinks from Atkins, SoupAtHand, yogurt, sugar free popsicles, Jello, broth. I would use the heavier stuff for 'meal' times and fill in with the other things throughout the day. Yogurt and puddings, instant mashed potatoes, refried Beans with V8 and cheese. Those all got me through the soft foods.

It's tough, but we all made it through. Certainly gives you a new respect for foods we've always taken for granted. lol.

You'll make it!

Marie and Letha -

Thanks so much for listening to me and taking my (minor) ailments to heart.

I don't have a specific tummy splint, but I am aware of the method from previous abdominal surgeries I've had. I use a pillow or a couch cushion, if they are available - but it still hurts like heck!

My coughing and sneezing are most likely allergy related, I'm not eating or drinking anything when a bout hits. I have been avoiding OTC allergy medicine, trying not inflame my new pouch. And truthfully, the sneezing and coughing has reduced quite a bit. I guess the pollen count has gone down with all the rain we've had lately.

It is amazing how much TV advertising revolves around food, isn't it? What I've noticed is how much my social life revolves around food! It's football Sunday - a big day here in Denver. Any other Sunday I'd be at the local sports bar with my friends having some wings and a couple of beers watching the game (guess why I need the band!). Since I can't eat or drink, I'm staying home. Friends went out to dinner Friday night - I stayed home. Mom's birthday - you guessed it - dinner out - I took a rain check.

I know this 'liquids only' phase is only temporary. I'll be glad when I can at least eat soft foods. Then I feel like I can go out and find something I can have. In the meantime, I'm feeling a bit 'shut-in'.

One other thing, only three people know I had the surgery. I didn't want to be watched or have people asking me how much weight I've lost (or waiting for me to fail as I have on so many other occasions). Since I've chosen to do this privately, I guess I've created my own situation.

October 13th (4 weeks from banding) can't come soon enough!

Originally posted by New Hope

Kim, you're very, very normal! That's when I found out just how much my life had revolved around food. I didn't eat huge meals, but I snacked all the time (unhealthy foods of course). I went through a "grieving time" over food.

Marie -

You sound like me - I'm a constant grazer, not a binger. I was worried that the band may not work for someone with a bad habit like mine. Your success has inspired me!

I expect to grieve, too. Thanksgiving is going to be a tough time. That's our big family holiday. We turn it into a whole weekend. It is always so much fun - great food and wine.

Listen to me - like I won't have fun if I don't stuff my face until I'm miserable and drink a bottle of wine by myself.

Wow - do I have some 'head' work to do!

Thank goodness for the band to help me with the rest of my 'issues'

Once you can start eating real foods again, that will really help. Plus you'll realise that you can still eat just about anything you want, just not as much as prebanding. It's also amazing (how most of the time) you'll choose to make healthy choices. I would have never thought that I would prefer eating tuna salad over a Snickers (because now I know that it will keep me "full" feeling longer.)

I'm a "Closet Bandster" also. I just spent a weekend with another couple and was worried about it. But I guess people really don't pay as much attention to us as we think they do.

If you're having a major problem with allergies, you can take liquid benadryl. It will also help you sleep. Tylenol PM is just tylenol and benadryl.

Work on getting that Water load in (but not with meals). That helps fill you up too.

Hey, we all have "Head work" to do! Every day.:)

Hey Kim, check out the "Food" section under "Main Lap-Band Forums" for some advice and commiseration. I know what you mean -- I was never so excited by hummus as I was on my first "mushy" day. Good luck!