Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bye-Bye Band

Ok so I am a few days out and feeling weird about all of this. I miss my band, but not the drama that I had at the end. I am sooooo scared abiut gaining weight and more so about what should be my next step. My new insurance covers this so I could have it done again, but do I want to? Those of you who had it out- where are you on this issue? Would you go throught this again if you had so much trouble with it the first time around???:help:

absolutely!!! I definitely want my band back in. I've gained enough back and can't wait to get it back. I think that after having it put back, both me and the doc will be watching pretty closely to avoid having this happen again. But, i dont have any question in my mind that i want it back.

Good luck to you! My prayers are with you.

I wonder what is going on with me too. Sounds like you have had it rough. I lost my insurance and havent been able to get help with my problems in over a year. I vomit so much, food, liquids, phelgm, acid liquid. I am so tired. If I go to the er, I dont know what they will do. Depression has taken over. My Dr. left dallas. Dr. Dirk Rodriquez. Dont know what to do. I wake up every night choking. The coughing is as if I have the flu every morning, waking me up continually during the night. What I would give for a full nights sleep....

you have got to find a doctor. I am pretty sure the coughing at night is from acid reflux. when you are lying down the Fluid creeps it way back up and stimulates your cough reflex. that happened to me when my band was too tight. Are you able to eat? Are you eating or drinking too close to bedtime. I have started taking prilosec. If you can't get to the doctor, try to get something over the counter for acid reflux and give it a try...if you can get it down. It is miserable.. I know! DO SOMETHING THOUGH!

you sound just like i did before i ended up in the hospital. I had to sleep in the recliner at night to get any rest, which wasnt much. are you throwing up what looks like coffee grounds? you really need to find someone now and get this taken care of. believe me, if you do lose your band, overall you will feel better physically, and if needed you can get it put back in if you want to do that. but, please, get some help!!!

As i read Silviah statement I can so vividly go bak to two weeks ago and being int he same boat! I was so miserable, but so determined to make this band work. If you have flu like symptoms isnt that the sound of erosion- the extreme reflux sounds like a slip. Sorry! You know yesterday I was miserable wanting to eat everything in sight and wanting to cry (OK I CRIED) about this head hunger! It was horrible. Today I could barely eat - and this is without a band! Am I the only one going through this??? I think a bunch of this is fear- I really dont want heartburn or reflux or anything!! Let meknow what you all think!:)

I worry a lot when I read all these posts about people having their slipped bands removed. I agree with removal of the band, but you should strongly consider having a same-time conversion to either RNY or vertical sleeve gastrectomy. If you needed the band in the first place, you will eventually regain your weight and need bariatric surgery again.

Mark Pleatman MD

Index

Dr Pleatman- believe me I did not want it out, nor did I want to leave without another procedure, but my circumstances did not allow for that. We put in the request and the insurance did not respond fast enough and by the time I went into emergency surgery they still had not responded and there was no approval to reband, or doing anything except take it out.

Now here I am two months out and trying like crazy to get approval with every barrier including my husband who now after going through all of this is against me going through this again!:girl_hug:

Slipped bands don't need to be permanently removed; they can be fixed, generally by taking them off and replacing them in a better position.

For me the better option is to remove them and convert to sleeve gastrectomy.

Regarding symptoms of acid reflux... if you have a band, and you have symptoms of reflux, your band is either too tight or slipped. Taking Nexium is NOT the answer.

Mark Pleatman MD

Index

Dr. Pleatman,

How can you tell if it is slipped. In the past week I have had reflux a few times but this happens every once in a while with me and then I'm fine again. I do think it's been from eating to late lately.

Thanks

Dr Pleatman-

My original band slipped and my surgeon went in and replaced it with a new band and re-positioned it on my stomach and I am doing much better this time around.

Slipped bands suddenly become very tight, with symptoms of acid reflux, nausea, and vomiting. A simple X-ray shows a typical change in orientation of the band. The diagnosis is confirmed with an upper GI series, where you drink some barium liquid as they take x-ray pictures.

Mark Pleatman MD

Index

Dr. Pleatman,

Would someone who had virtually lost all they wanted to lose with the band, and needs to have it removed be the kind of candidate for an RNY or VSG you're talking about, or would that be for someone with still a ways to go?

If you'd still do an RNY or VSG on someone at, say, 150lbs, who should ideally be 130 lbs, how would they be prevented from losing too much?

I have always had GERD since putting on weight, and so still having it, having reflux symptoms doesn't tell me too much. I do have more restriction now for some reason.

I'll be honest and the stories here, especially being on life support, scares me and I wish I never had this put in.