Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

That was a painful lesson... Don't try it at home...

As of tomorrow, I will be a month out of surgery.

This morning, for lunch, I packed a cup of Trader Joe's Black Bean Soup (really yummy if you're in the mood for it)..

Somewhere though between Breakfast and lunch, I decided I'd rather have tuna salad. So, I thought I'd just buy a tuna wrap from the cafeteria downstairs, then slowly scrape out the tuna inside and call it even, even if I had to throw away 3/4 of the actual sandwich. After all, I've been doing great mixing in and out of the mushy/soft foods phase. No problems at all really.

I got upstairs to the break room, unwrapped it from the aluminum foil, then (what I thought was) *slowly* took two small bites. Within 30 seconds, I my chest felt like it was going to burst, I was going to explosively vomit, and that I was just going to keel over dead on the break room floor. Apparently, too much, too fast...

My point, my friends, is that if you're "just" out of surgery like me, you may think you're doing better than you actually are. Don't make the same mistake I did. I hate to think of the damage my stupidity might have caused -- especially the potential of stretching my pouch -- but all I can say is "lesson learned, I won't be making that one again" and hope that I can help others to avoid my brand of stupidity...

Wayne

After surgery, some items can taste dramatically different. I remember when I had a little ketchup for the first time. It tasted like hot sauce. I wonder if it was the two small bites that did you in or if it was a reaction to something in the tuna wrap. Anyways, the early periods after surgery are a time of change. Keep trying things and experimenting. Many times bad reactions to some types of food will disappear as time goes on.

I can appreciate that James, but this was unmistakably a size and quantity issue... Too big bites of too much, too fast... Lodged in the pouch...

Strangely for me though, sweets make me nauseated, digging the heck out of the spicy.. Weird

Wayne

It is a right of passage I think with this surgery. A week post op I wanted eggs. Oh my goodness did I want eggs. I figured hey I got this down no worries. I feel great!

It took me almost a year to eggs again. Two bites of them and I was throwing up for about 10 minutes.

You would think I would have learned my lesson from that, but a week later I thought hey I want some ham. Again two bites and I was throwing up.

Thankfully I did not do any damage! However I learned a lot about myself and my new stomach. It was the boss now not my brain!

i have had some similar experiences. I tried to eat yogurt and can't hold it down. that was soon after surgery. i don't tolerate sweet tastes. that's a blessing to me because sweets have always been my problem. i would have eaten a candy bar over a steak in my former life. now….i'll stick to Protein and a few veggies. It's really weird to me the way the sleeve changes our taste. I mean it's the same stomach we've always had…just a baby version. It's strange to me.

Happy Losing,

Mississippi Girl

It might not have just been the taste, but I have found fist to be an E.X.T.R.E.M.E.L.Y. dense Protein. Ten years out and I still have to be very careful with how quickly I eat fish. While salmon or tuna taste fantastic, I can only have a bite or two before I have to stop. No more salmon cakes for me. Tuna salad is measured to 1/4 cup and I slowly pick at it with my fork one bite at a time making sure to place my fork down each time and chewing thoroughly. *smiles* Oy, sometimes I still have a problem. I know right away if my nose starts to run I've pushed too far and it's not going to stay put. It's a learning process. You'll find out others as you move further out from surgery. Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

As of tomorrow, I will be a month out of surgery.

This morning, for lunch, I packed a cup of Trader Joe's Black Bean Soup (really yummy if you're in the mood for it)..

Somewhere though between breakfast and lunch, I decided I'd rather have tuna salad. So, I thought I'd just buy a tuna wrap from the cafeteria downstairs, then slowly scrape out the tuna inside and call it even, even if I had to throw away 3/4 of the actual sandwich. After all, I've been doing great mixing in and out of the mushy/soft foods phase. No problems at all really.

I got upstairs to the break room, unwrapped it from the aluminum foil, then (what I thought was) *slowly* took two small bites. Within 30 seconds, I my chest felt like it was going to burst, I was going to explosively vomit, and that I was just going to keel over dead on the break room floor. Apparently, too much, too fast...

My point, my friends, is that if you're "just" out of surgery like me, you may think you're doing better than you actually are. Don't make the same mistake I did. I hate to think of the damage my stupidity might have caused -- especially the potential of stretching my pouch -- but all I can say is "lesson learned, I won't be making that one again" and hope that I can help others to avoid my brand of stupidity...

Wayne

I had a similar experience with tuna about a month after my rny. I wasn't afraid of damage but being sick for 2-3 hours while at work was pretty bad. I'm a year out - tuna and chicken are still my kryptonite. They till make me sick every...darn...time!!!

Hi Wayne! I am 11 months out from surgery. Although you could have ate too much- be careful with the mayo on things you do not prepare yourself especially tuna/chicken salad. The amount of fat in real mayo is really high. Could have bothered you as well.

This is a great example of who different we are all. I was allowed to eat canned tuna or salmon starting week 2. So for 2 meals a day that's all I have had this past week. I've worked my way up to 2-3 TBSP. I used a little light mayo. Salt/Pepper on the tuna and Old Bay on the salmon.

Wayne I wonder if the issue was the mayo. It was probably full fat. And there may have been onions, relish, peppers etc. Tuna salad comes made in so many ways.

Hi Amy,

It wasn't the tuna, or the mayo. It was the bite size and quantity which "clogged" at the pouch causing intense pain. So far, stupid mistakes aside, I seem to have no problems with tuna or chicken (well ground), or light mayo.

I can presume that the cafeteria-bought tuna salad used full mayo, but my stupidity was compounded by taking what I thought was 2 "small" (apparently not small enough) bites too quickly with the spinach wrap included and not chewing up the wrap as well as I had thought (apparently)...

Within about 20-30 seconds, I felt like my chest was bursting. Coughing, wheezing, clutching the chest, the whole 9 yards.

The original point behind this thread was simply that I hoped my foolish error might help others to avoid it.

Eat Small. Eat Slow. Stick to the plan... That's the new motto..

BTW, separate subject... Needing to get out of the house, and tired of the choices for food I had, I dropped by my favorite fish shop last Saturday and fell in love with their smoked salmon and mashed potatoes plate.

It's *REALLY* weird for me to have now made four separate meals out of one entree that I would have easily demolished pre-surgery.. :)

Hi Amy,

It wasn't the tuna, or the mayo. It was the bite size and quantity which "clogged" at the pouch causing intense pain. So far, stupid mistakes aside, I seem to have no problems with tuna or chicken (well ground), or light mayo.

I can presume that the cafeteria-bought tuna salad used full mayo, but my stupidity was compounded by taking what I thought was 2 "small" (apparently not small enough) bites too quickly with the spinach wrap included and not chewing up the wrap as well as I had thought (apparently)...

Within about 20-30 seconds, I felt like my chest was bursting. Coughing, wheezing, clutching the chest, the whole 9 yards.

The original point behind this thread was simply that I hoped my foolish error might help others to avoid it.

BTW, separate subject... Needing to get out of the house, and tired of the choices for food I had, I dropped by my favorite fish shop last Saturday and fell in love with their smoked salmon and mashed potatoes plate.

It's *REALLY* weird for me to have now made four separate meals out of one entree that I would have easily demolished pre-surgery.. :)

I had the chest burning experience last night. Unbelievable! You do not want to experience this

Hi Amy,

I had the chest burning experience last night. Unbelievable! You do not want to experience this