Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

OreoKitty - the pain getting up and down will ease. I had my surgery a week ago and that was the only pain I had, it is all gone now.

BigSexy - PLEASE don't get cold feet. You don't have to be on liquids the rest of your life. You will get to eat real food again - just a lot less! Don't worry about the roommate - the nurses will be waking you up anyway and it is just for one night! If someone else is be banded the same day, maybe they can be your roommate and you will make a new band friend ;-).

Pamela - The gas is the same, CO2 - but it can be heated and humidified, there is some thought that it helps with pain. I also think it depends on the position they use during surgery. Our surgeon does the procedure in modified Beach Chair - legs in lithotomy and the back of bed up. Neither my husband or I had any issues with the shoulder pain from the gas.

FaithMD - GOOD LUCK today - I assume you are getting you AP band, since you are proceeding?

Janine - it was Khaliah's sister, Layla that was on dancing with the stars.

have a great day!

it isnt the liquid diet thing - in fact i have found that quite easy - although i was seriously tempted to stop at mcdonalds last night on the way home from work, but i just kept driving. There are two reasons i am getting cold feet.

1. I don't want to leave my son without a father (i know the risk of death is really low) but if i never had him i wouldn't think twice about having surgery. Last thing i want is for my wife to have to tell him when he is old enough to understand that his daddy died due to an elective procedure.

2. I am not sure i am ready to give up food yet. I love food and obviously have a food addiction. Otherwise I wouldnt be in the state i am now.

The food is really more of a secondary thought but still has enough presence to bother me.

bigsexy, I am a single mother of a 7 year old and had the same exact thoughts as you. You sort of have to look at it from the airplane perspective, though. How many people a day have surgery? Ask around, I bet everyone you know has had surgery. And the cameras make it very noninvasive so it's not NEARLY as risky as some things. Plus at our weights isn't it more likely we'll die at home, etc than in a controlled medical environment?

As for the food addiction, I completely relate (I think we all do). What I've been telling myself as I get sad because I can't have this or that (yet), is that the "sick" part of me is the one that's sad and grieving, because the healthy part of me is having a BLAST right now. Just knowing I"ll never go to McDonalds and order 2 extra-large meals again and have that horrible GUILT is awesome. That guilt is worse than anything, I swear!

Hang in there. Just one more week of self-torture before you're on your way to a new life!

HI ALL IM A JUNE BANDSTERS...JUNE 28TH....I CANT BELIEVE ITS HERE....ON liquids STARTED TODAY AND NOW THERE NO TURNING BACK....:omg:

Hey all - I rarely post here but I am less than a week out from my surgery. I am starting to get a really bad case of cold feet. I am on my liquid diet and doing quite well - already down 16lbs but thoughts like "can I really live with this for the next 40+ years of my life" are really weighing me down. I also just found out that my insurance only allows for semi private rooms. The last thing i want is to be in a room with some stranger after surgery keeping me up all night. Anyone experience these feelings?

Hi bigsexy :wave: First, I think Nina gave you some GREAT advice on the page before this. Secondly, I think most of us parents have those feelings. I actually had a little scare after surgery (I was FINE) but I began to cry thinking "my little girls need their mommy!" Of course, here I am, three weeks out and doing fine. But I think it's natural to feel the way you're feeling.

My surgeon came to see me in the prep area, right before surgery, and asked me "still want to go through with it?" I said, "Of course! Why do you ask?" He said he asks all his patients that and that he even had one that changed her mind IN PRE-OP, got dressed, went home, and had the surgery a year later when she was more mentally prepared. He said she's doing great now too!

I agree with Nina. Remember all the reasons you committed to the band in the first place. I looked at it this way...I would have most likely died a premature death, possibly a very painful one, if I DIDN'T do something. So, after weighing all the pro's, con's, risks, & benefits, I opted to see it through.

Hang in there and keep us posted on how you're feeling.

Hi KT, My surgery isn't in June but I'll be banded 1 year June 8th. Good luck to you. You will love being banded. Julie

Hi Julie! Well...we are band buddies, but one year apart. I just got banded this year on June 8th. I have lost 18 pounds so far. I haven't started solid food, yet, and am a little apprehensive about it. I had a few days right after surgery where I was sooooo hungry. But, I am really doing ok, now. The boredom, emotional hunger is the worst part. I also find that I forget to drink all day.

Can you give me any helpful hints on eating solid food? Have you found any really good menu ideas??

Well, continued success to you....and thanks for talking to me!!

Vicky

<p><p>BigSexy - I think our advice is pretty much covered, but I will add one more thing. Doesn't the improved quality of life you will have, thus be able to pass on to your son, outweigh the minimal surgical risk? If you write down the pros and cons, I am sure the band makes the most sense. If it helps, I am an OR nurse by back ground - I spent 15 years in the OR. I never lost a laparoscopic patient due to surgical complications. I am not saying that complications don't happen, because they certainly do, but the airplane analysis is a good one. Do you hear about the thousands of surgical cases done that go exactly as planned - no you only hear about the complications, just like you only hear about the airline crashes. That is what makes it so terrifying. My husband and I have 2 kids, so I completely understand your fear, but we felt we both needed help that the band could provide, so we both took the risk. Good Luck with your decision.</p>

Add me to the other parents who are having "slight" second thoughts because of their kids here! I have two young ones, ages 3 and 6. But I have to keep reminding myself of the rewards -- I will be able to go out and be active with them, I will be able to be the cool mom and run around the park with them and go bike riding and swimming, I will be able to take them for a hike and play basketball with them. I want to be that mom. So that is why I have to do this for me.

Pamela - The gas is the same, CO2 - but it can be heated and humidified, there is some thought that it helps with pain. I also think it depends on the position they use during surgery. Our surgeon does the procedure in modified Beach Chair - legs in lithotomy and the back of bed up. Neither my husband or I had any issues with the shoulder pain from the gas.

Thank you!

Hey there! I have survived so far! I have been having ALLOT of nausea!! UGH No vomiting just feeling icky! My incisions (all SIX of them) are really sore and yes it's horrible pain when standing up!! UGH I am doing pretty good though all in all! The rumbling gassy tummy is annoying too! Thanks again to all of you!

Add me to the other parents who are having "slight" second thoughts because of their kids here! I have two young ones, ages 3 and 6. But I have to keep reminding myself of the rewards -- I will be able to go out and be active with them, I will be able to be the cool mom and run around the park with them and go bike riding and swimming, I will be able to take them for a hike and play basketball with them. I want to be that mom. So that is why I have to do this for me.

You got the right idea Minty!!! You go girl!! You're kids are gonna love the new and improved mom...mine already love my increased energy!

Hello out there! I am getting banded tomorrow and am nervous about the ability to change habits after the surgery, the recovery time, etc. For those of you who were banded early in the month, how long until you wanted to be out with friends or out and about?

OMGoooooodness.

I went back to work today (6 days post op) and I'm in horrible pain. All throughout my abdomen, some sharp pains, some dull pains. Some I know are gas, others feel like... I dunno. My port site is more swollen now than it has been, and I have another incision site that is swollen tonight as well. In case you're wondering - I'm a nurse on an oncology ward. I didn't lift much, but more than I'm supposed to... I didn't bend much, but more than I should have. Wahh. I still have some of my Lortab Elixor, I might go take some and camp in the recliner for the night. (Thats another thing - I STILL can't lay down! Tonight will be my 7th night in that dang chair!) I have a doc appt tomorrow and I'm going to ask him what he did to me! Haha.

I hope you all had a better day than I did!

PS. Is anyone else experiencing sweating?? I won't even be hot and will just start sweating! I never sweated before unless I was really working out at the gym!!!

Today was my post-op appt. He told me that everything was fine. I can now eat soft foods. I will be having my first fill on July 9th. I have no restriction now, so I cannot wait until my first fill. He also told me not to obsess about losing weight. He said it is going to be very slow, and do not get disappointed.

Suzzie I agree, that if you stayed over night it is only a deductable and it is covered. Lets see what the bills say.. we better be right!

Danielle/Oreo Hang in there one day at a time. I was able to have broth, popsicles and Jello. See if you can have those?

cmp I am sure the doctor told you to walk and get out to do that. I did not go anywhere except that until three days. Some folks on the thread ventured sooner and some later. Everyone is different. Go with how you feel!

Vicky I was banded on June 7. I was able to eat mushies a week later. however the list of foods was overwhelming and I had difficulty getting all the food groups in. My nurst told me to focus on 60g Protein and 64 oz of Water, then if I can add some vegies and fruit. I am less worried now. I have had cottage cheese w/ pinapple and cantelope, Soups, chicken salad, fish, tuna, yogurt. Does that help?

Missy thanks for the clarification, she must be pretty too!

Pippz WOW