Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

I was using a soft pillow (made by volunteers at the hospital)

I don't know if I mentioned it, but I also got a smallish volunteer-made pillow. I LOVE it. It's so pretty and perfectly thick for my needs. It's to me what my daughter's hospital blanket was when she was born (she still has it). I think I'm going to keep it for a loooong time!

Okay so strange news (good news I think!) out of my post-op today. I'm 1 1/2 weeks out and my doc said to come back in 2 1/2 weeks for my first fill! Well due to scheduling reasons I'm actually going back 2 weeks from today. I'll be 3 1/2 weeks out and with a fill.... anyone else think this is strange?! I'm completely happy but at the same time very nervous about getting a fill before ever having food without it. I'm sure it's for the best but wow anxiety like whoa today!

Speaking of anxiety, I notice I'm much more stressed out/anxious this week. Maybe I'm just still recuperating after surgery?

Okay last thought before I get back to work. I asked my doctor about swimming. He said I should only go swimming once the wounds are almost totally healed (with no chance of more bleeding), ESPECIALLY going to a pool with kids and other adults. He said it's more likely to spread infection/etc going in with wounds like that. So, to my dismay I will be skipping the pool this weekend, to lay indoors bare-bellied with neosporin on my wounds and praying for fast healing. hahaha I can't wait to start swimming. It's the only exercise I actually enjoy.

Okay, off to work I go!

Michele

I went for my 2 week post-op yesterday and my doc has already cut my B/P pill in half! I'm so happy! I was dizzy and having b/p's of 90/52 and so on. He also cleared me to swim and do Water aerobics.

Just got back from my post op appointment, apparently all is well. The nurse practitioner pulled off my steri strips, then put new ones on my port incision. She assured me that the pain my my left side will pass, haha. I whined a bit about it.

Got my appointment for my fill set up for 7/20, I'm excited about that!

Hope everyone here had a great day... I'm gonna go lounge in my jammies for another exciting Friday night!

I was wondering how everyone deals with their sleep. I was told it will be hard to sleep in a norm bed because of being flat on the bed. I do not own a lazy boy but some people tell me to go buy one. What does everyone think?

captain danbo - I'm 7 days post op and STILL sleeping in my recliner. I can lay in bed, on my back...but I can't sleep that way. It's incredibly painful to sleep on my sides, even with pillows for support.

captain danbo, I have been sleeping in my bed since the night i came home from the hospital. It was a little hard to get out of bed though. I either had by dh or ds help me get out of bed. I am also a right side sleeper and that is the side of the port, I can sleep on that side but it is uncomfortable. i do have a recliner but didn't even try to sleep in it.

Just got back from my post op appointment, apparently all is well. The nurse practitioner pulled off my steri strips, then put new ones on my port incision. She assured me that the pain my my left side will pass, haha. I whined a bit about it.

Got my appointment for my fill set up for 7/20, I'm excited about that!

Hope everyone here had a great day... I'm gonna go lounge in my jammies for another exciting Friday night!

Hi, Suzzzie! Sorry I havent' replied...been off the computer for a few days. I went in today at 10:30 for my post-op...same results as yours...healing good...and I've lost 17+ since pre-op one month ago! :omg: :faint:

I'm back the same day for my fill...9am. Have a great Friday evening. It's my first night back home since my hubby is off this weekend so he can lift the kiddies.

Take care everyone!!

Beckie

Hi All. I'm fairly new to the site -- just joined this week -- and can't believe I waited this long to start chatting with folks. Being banded tomorrow in NYC. It hasn't really hit me yet b/c I just learned today at 5pm that I was approved -- I had to postpone my first date b/c they hadn't rendered a decision yet -- and the surgeon's office squeezed me in.

See you on the flip side.

So, I'm a bit nervous --

It turns out my husband has to work the Saturday after my banding on Thursday (2 days later). I've got two kids, 3 and 6, who are extremely hyperactive at times. What happens if I am not "recovered" enough to take care of them that day (feed them, stop them from wrecking the house, etc).

How did everyone else fair 2 days after postop? (Unfortunately, there is no one here to take the kids for the day).

Minty - get some help if you can for those kids, day one through four were rough for me and I was really tired and weak. I have a 2 1/2 year old and there's no way I could have watched him. But maybe you're made out of tougher stuff than I?

Captain Danbo - I'm 2 weeks out and I sleep in my bed with a huge pile of pillows. Our recliners help a little, but I prefer to do my reclining in the bed. I can lay down now, but it's a little uncomfy to lay flat. I've been about to sleep on my left side since I got home, so maybe try that gingerly.

I'm new to the June group. I got banded Tuesday. I'm feeling OK w/ little pain and no nausea but I am struggling with gas. I am trying to walk as much as possible which helps. Rx antacid and OTC anti-gas meds help some but not alot. I'm not a bit hungry. I have to make myself eat broth and drink Water. I feel like I just swallowed a Thanksgiving turkey most of the time. I'm looking forward to getting over the bloated feeling. Did others deal with that too? How long did it last? Any suggestions on how to get over it?

By the way...I am a man...but I can change...if I have to...I guess.

Adventure-Rider

I'm new to the June group. I got banded Tuesday. I'm feeling OK w/ little pain and no nausea but I am struggling with gas. I am trying to walk as much as possible which helps. Rx antacid and OTC anti-gas meds help some but not alot. I'm not a bit hungry. I have to make myself eat broth and drink Water. I feel like I just swallowed a Thanksgiving turkey most of the time. I'm looking forward to getting over the bloated feeling. Did others deal with that too? How long did it last? Any suggestions on how to get over it?

By the way...I am a man...but I can change...if I have to...I guess.

Adventure-Rider

Haha, you can be a man, that is OK. We like men here! Actually, I think you make our 4th man. Welcome!

Toni-Thanks for the support. I am counting the days till I can have mushies. I'm just afraid I won't remember to chew, chew, chew and eat slowly. I'll be so excited to be eating REAL food!!!

So sorry to hear about your headache and dry heaves. That must have been so painful for you. I'll be praying for you. Hopefully you can talk to your nurse soon.

Suzzzie-I'm not getting all my Protein, but I'm taking Calcium and Multivitamins. I've been chewing gum so it hasn't been too bad. Old habits die hard and I'm just afraid I'll go "hog wild" before I realize what I've done.

So sorry to hear about your pain. Sounds like you still need to take it a little easier at work.

Lucy-Sorry to hear about your ankle. Hope it's better soon. I fell and sprained my ankle 5 or 6 years ago and it's not been right since. It's still weak. Hopefully losing weight will help. I didn't even think about that until you mentioned it. Thanks!

LauraG-My diet is pretty much like Beckiet's diet. Wonder why yours is so strict? I think I would question my doctor on it.

EVaughn-I said a prayer for all you bandsters today. Hope you're all doing okay.

LaughingBird-When I made cream of wheat the first day after being home from the hospital, I didn't eat slow and I ate about a cup of it. My stomach felt like it was going to explode-literally-until about 5 or 6 that night. I couldn't eat or drink anything until then. Needless to say I haven't done that again!!!

Becks477-If you're exercising you're building muscle and that weighs more than fat. Maybe that's what is going on. You should take your measurements then if you haven't lost weight you can remeasure yourself to see if you've lost inches.

BigSexy-You can do it!!! I think we've all had these feelings at some point, I know I have!! I think having the surgery so you can be around for years for your sone is a WONDERFUL reason to do this!! Keep that in mind and keep us posted on your progress.

LoveliBabi21-Good luck tomorrow!! See you in Bandland!!!

Amcmh95-Congrats on getting your date!!

Welcome Vicky!! Hope all is going well for you!!

Holliwagz-Glad to hear you're doing okay for the most part.

O2bthin-Glad you're back and all went well. 5 MILES THE DAY AFTER SURGERY!!??!! YOU GO GIRL!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

Stefanie42467-I had a feeling the doc might take your bandages off. Good for you. I know how they were bothering you. I had my fingers crossed that he would take them off when you saw him. I wish I could have gotten pics with my band on my stomach and of my liver. I'm jealous! LOL!!!

TMC-Sounds like you're doing wonderfully!! Great weight loss. Glad to have you here. Keep us posted on weight loss and such.

Captain-KUDOS TO YOU!!! 54# LOST!! YOU GO GUY!!!

As for sleeping-I slept half sitting and half slouched on the couch with my feet and lower legs on the coffee tabel for 3 or 4 nights, then slept on my side with a pillow to support stomach or on my back.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

Juleeann & KimberlyNYC-Good luck to both of you and welcome! Let us know as soon as you can how everything went for both of you!!

Adventure-rider-Welcome and congrats on your surgery. My bloatedness lasted for a little over a week. I really didn't do anything for it. (I don't know if there's anything you can do for it). You have a good sense of humor-I have a feeling we're going to need that in the future!!

My hump day, so to speak, was yesterday. I was still having a lot of pain in my shoulder and chest (from hernia stitching) and halfway through the day, everything just quit hurting. Kind of made me feel weird, like I was waiting for the other shoe to drop or something, but today was good too. WOOHOO!!! Hope it's all passed.

Hope all is well with everyone!

P.S. Sorry for the long post. I haven't been on for a few days. I had to catch up with everyone. LOL!!

Hey everyone, I am now offially a band memeber. Got mine yesterday about noon. Woke up hurting quite a bit but after the Diluadid 2mg I can honestly say it does not hurt much, feel more like I did too many situps. Have not been very hungry but my head tells me it wants something. So I drink more crystal light and try not to think of food. I uasually watch the food network on Saturday so tomorrow I think I will keep the tv off and listen to the radio. Going to bed for now, hope I sleep well. I think I will take some pain med so I will sleep. See ya later.

2bhealthyagain-Glad you're back home and doing well. I'm with you on watching the food channel. I've been avoiding it like the plague. BUMMER!!! Maybe some day I can watch it again....maybe....I've been watching a lot of HGTV. My house and yard needs fixing up so I switched to that channel. I've gotten a lot of good ideas so far, now I just need the money to do the stuff I want to do!!! LOL!!!

Again, congrats on being in Bandland!!!

My day went well - I had the surgery at 9:30 and was discharged at 1:30. The doctor found a hiatal hernia and I was so surprised as I have rarely ever had heartburn or reflux! Two of my nurses have been banded and look great - they were able to answer questions from personal experience. Anyway I have the expected tightness and the gas pain must already be traveling as it's gone from the front to under my left shouldler blade. Thanks to all of you I am not alarmed and have tried all the "hints" I've picked up here (walk, peppermint tea, walk, heating pad, walk). But I think I will take the pain meds tonight so I can get a better quality sleep.

Stefanie, in response to your questions, I live in Arlington so Hurst is only 1/2 hour away and was convenient for me. The HR in my moniker does stand for Human Resources as I work as an HR Director. Sounds like we have some things in common starting with the wonderful Dr. Marsden!

Thanks to all of you who sent well wishes today - you are a wonderful source of inspiration and support.

...By the way...I am a man...but I can change...if I have to...I guess.

Adventure-Rider

Another Red Green fan! Woohoo!

I was banded Thursday and was sooooooo happy that my surgeon's group puts people in the hospital overnight. I hated the feeling o fthe Morphine PCA, but I was in sooooo much pain, I needed it.

I'm home now, loving my Gas-x strips and hating the taste of the Lortab Elixir. My surgeon really doesn't want anyone throwing up, I've got Reglan, Prevacid, Compazine suppositories and scopolamine Patches to help control any nausea. WOW!

I was my surgeon's practice's first AP. I asked for and received the box it came in. I have the small AP. I also drew all over my tummy hwere my bras sits, and where the waistband sits, so they didn't put the port there. It's right above my belly button. And it's (thankfully) numb right now.

Okay, I can't sit much longer, take care!