Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

SimplyMe,

I was wondering what your BMI was pre-op? and if you had it covered by insurance i'm up near 235 and I'm concerned about what my insurance will cover, did you have any comorbiditys at all? thanks so much for the information and way to go so far!

xgrl....my BMI was 31.5....but I'm a self-pay! My mid-life "crisis" gift to myself!!!!:clap2:

I gotta share this.....I'm so bummed out tonight. I really want to be in the mid 250's when I go for surgery. I thought I would be by now. My weight is not budging one bit since Monday. I've been on antibiotics this week....definitely not constipated. I'm so worried that even with the band I won't lose weight. I am starving on 700 calories and not losing weight? WUWT? It reminds me of the 6 months I spent on Atkins and I would lose 1/4 pound a week. I am insulin resistant and I was told that makes it hard for me to lose weight. Anyone have that problem?

Dumb Question Rhonda....are you pushing a lot of Water or Crystal lite??? That sometimes helps me move the scale, though mine has been STAGNANT so I can completely commisserate with you. I'm sorry that you're having a tough go with this. But I think that you WILL lose with the band....don't fret too much!!!!!

Hugs,

Toni

I'll see ya there chickie! Haha. Or, maybe not, but I'll be thinking about you!

I'm ready!! I just need to pack some things to send to my mom's to be ready for me and the munchkins. I'll let the nurses know when I get there to tell you BeckieT said hi when you wake up!! Can't wait, Suzzzie! We're almost there!

How'd you do today? It was weird...my stomach growled but my mind was saying no, you're not really needing "food"...and the Jello, popsicles, crystal light, broth and chai vanilla Decaf tea worked. Take care!!!!!

Rhonda, I was diagnosed with insulin resistance too but the way to improve it is to slowly increase muscle mass (exercise) and decrease fat (less food-thanks to the band) and eventually you stop being resistant and your metabolism works like a normal person again(thet what the endocrinoligist said anyway!). I think it makes it slower and harder but definately light at the end of the tunnel. HANG IN THERE!! I get my band on the 27th YAY!!! Marga

I'm ready!! I just need to pack some things to send to my mom's to be ready for me and the munchkins. I'll let the nurses know when I get there to tell you BeckieT said hi when you wake up!! Can't wait, Suzzzie! We're almost there!

How'd you do today? It was weird...my stomach growled but my mind was saying no, you're not really needing "food"...and the Jello, popsicles, crystal light, broth and chai vanilla Decaf tea worked. Take care!!!!!

First off, if you're gonna ask about me, you should know my 'real' name is Suzanne. haha. It'll be awesome. We'll have to get together for a smoothie when we are both feeling better!!

I did really good today. But it was so weird cause I SWEAR I smelled BBQ all day - no one else around me could smell it. I kept having dreams last night that I forgot I was supposed to be on clears and I started eating a massive chocolate cake and stuff. Lol. Its all so psychological!

I had veggie broth, jello, lots of Water and crystal light, and for a treat I froze a small apple juice and cranberry juice (I was at work, stealing patient stock. Haha!) Once they were mostly frozen I ate them with a spoon. It felt good to not 'drink' something! I have NO CLUE how people do liquids for 2 weeks!!

I'm so excited and ready!!

Hi, I'm new here and I'm having surgery on June 25. I have to be on a Liquid Protein diet (i.e. Slimfast) starting June 15 and as luck has it I'm going to be out of town from the 15th to the 23rd. I'll pack some in my suitcase and pick some up when I get to my hotel. Thats worth getting my surgery scheduled as soon as possible (about 3 weeks after I got approval from my insurance company). I wanted as much recovery time as possible before some athletic events in late july/early august.

My surgeon says that I should be back to my normal routine in a week or two after surgery. Hopefully he's not being overly optimistic!

Hello all! I just registered for this site and I'm scheduled for surgery on June 25th. My doctor doesn't require a pre-op liquid diet, but it sure sounds like a good way to lose a few pounds before surgery. Maybe I'll start drinking those Protein Shakes now ;)

Any other midnight shift workers out there? How do you guys cope with eating, etc with the band vs eating regular during your days off?

Toni, yes I've been having liquids. I started having some Better Than Boullion, so maybe the sodium is playing havoc. I do take HCTZ so that should take care of it. Hmmmm.......I am so frustrated.

Marga, you told me what I already suspected. You're probably right. Thanks. I need to start working out again. I have tendinitis so this makes it hard, but I'm going to do it!

First off, if you're gonna ask about me, you should know my 'real' name is Suzanne. haha. It'll be awesome. We'll have to get together for a smoothie when we are both feeling better!!

I did really good today. But it was so weird cause I SWEAR I smelled BBQ all day - no one else around me could smell it. I kept having dreams last night that I forgot I was supposed to be on clears and I started eating a massive chocolate cake and stuff. Lol. Its all so psychological!

I had veggie broth, Jello, lots of Water and crystal light, and for a treat I froze a small apple juice and cranberry juice (I was at work, stealing patient stock. Haha!) Once they were mostly frozen I ate them with a spoon. It felt good to not 'drink' something! I have NO CLUE how people do liquids for 2 weeks!!

I'm so excited and ready!!

LOL....Hello, Suzanne! I'll definitely take you up on the smoothie time. Oh, and not to worry, my bf told me today that she had forgotten about the Clear Liquids day and did fine during surgery. ;) BUT...I don't recommend it. I definitely give everyone here who has to do this longer than one day (like us) some extra respect...you all are amazing!!!

I have a question for anyone who can answer...but it may sound a little personal. Background: My 3 year old DD has had the stomach flu this week and by God's grace I hadn't picked it up from her...yet. Question: I had been required by my surgeon to do one day of clear liquids before surgery (mine is scheduled in 8 hours from now) ... could that cause diahrea? Has anyone else experienced this? It's only been slight...just once and my stomach isn't rumbling like it normally does with the stomach flu...

I don't know whether I need to postpone surgery or not...I'm hoping not. I'd have to wait until at least August.

Sterbear,

I too was banded by Dr. Zapata in Monterrey! WOW, what a small world. Were you the one wearing the "navy" tshirt at the nutritional meeting at the hotel or are you the blonde? That's so neat! I just told my husband that I was going to try to find out your names so that we could keep in touch and track each others progress. I'm glad to hear you're doing well. The first night I wanted to cry thinking I had just waisted my money and what in God's name had I done to myself. I've just completed my second night back at work and it's been a little better for me tonight than last night. I worked the ER last night and was busy (I stayed on my feet too long, and did too much bending). No gas pains, and surprisingly not really hungry. I'm still pretty restricted, so maybe with this small band I won't need a fill for a while....that would be great to lose most of my weight without a fill. So, far I've lost 10lbs by the hospital scale. Yeah! Let me know who you are...PM me sometime. Bye

I gotta share this.....I'm so bummed out tonight. I really want to be in the mid 250's when I go for surgery. I thought I would be by now. My weight is not budging one bit since Monday. I've been on antibiotics this week....definitely not constipated. I'm so worried that even with the band I won't lose weight. I am starving on 700 calories and not losing weight? WUWT? It reminds me of the 6 months I spent on Atkins and I would lose 1/4 pound a week. I am insulin resistant and I was told that makes it hard for me to lose weight. Anyone have that problem?

You must realize too, that when you restrict your body of food (esp such a drastic amt) it says "hey, I'm starving" and starts to hold onto everything you're consuming. so, you really do need to eat in order to lose....moderation is the key. sorry to be preachy, but people think that if they eat just one meal a day or something along those lines they'll lose fast, but in reality the body starts to horde every calorie and fat gram you place inside your body.

Sorry, another post, but I thought you might welcome this suggestion for those of you still in the clear liquid phase and tired of chicken broth. I cooked a beef roast and a pork roast for the family and was able to drink the broth from those....it was THE best tasting treat I've had. Anyway, good luck.

Rhonda Where you are is very frustrating! You have received great advise; eat more, exercise and drink your WATER!! It might not shed 4lbs a week, but you will start shedding!

bkat I was fortunate to have a weekend end and 4 days off from work before I returned from my surgery last Thursday. I did great at work yesteday, I was not tired, actually I had to be there at 7 am for a Board meeting and did not leave until 5:30! I felt fine. You will be ready to go to events that you want!!

Toni I agree on the drinking change. I wish I had this info prior to my doctor appointment on Wednesday. But I only sipped the one time with a dry mouth. But I will follow my doctor's directions now. I am also on food sooner than some, so I really don't want to pop my band or anything! How is your new gismo!! I love the bullet! My son said, IS THERE ALCOHOL IN THIS!! IT WAS A PINACOLADA Protein Shake WITH STRAWBERRIES, YUMMIE ( no rum this time! ). I will get the name from a coworker. I only brought home a scoop to try it. She ordered it on line. I just wish it did not come in those huge containers!!

Laughingbird and Kland GOOD LUCK TODAY!!!!!!!