Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Good Morning Junies!!!

I am not sure what is happening to this site, it is taking long time to post !

I am off to go shopping for my son's wedding with his fiance. The reception is in my yard, lots of work, but I enjoy the party planning peice of it!

I had two glasses of wine last night over 2 hours watching a movie, tasted good and no issues!!

Down 1 more pound, I think I need to EXERCISE!!

WELCOME LISA!!

Well, it has been 4 days since I was banded. Doing o.k. Feel alot better this morning. Not very hungry but I am sure that will change.

Tammy

Congrats to all you new bandsters...I will be joining you in bandland on Monday, June 18th....I am scared to death but excited too...I guess it is the fear of not knowing how I will feel being banded but also having to say goodye to my habit of food. Anyways I know I need to lose weight so I can be healthy for my daughter so I will not chicken out even if they have to pull me out of the car with a crane.....lol I look forward to sharin with you all here and losing weight with all of my June bandster buddies. ;)

Cat

Did you feel bloated right after your surgery? I got my band yesterday and feel pretty good. I am super bloated though. Is this the gas that's going to dissipate through my shoulders or is just swelling?

Haha. OK, I hurt. I admit it. But it's not the incision sites - its the dang GAS! Feels like its trying to push through my ribs on my left side. Its horrible. I took some lortab elixer, doesn't help with gas pain at all.

So my surgery went great. I remember being wheeled into the OR and just feeling slightly drugged already. Then they started messing around, puttting the heart monitors on and all and the anesthesiologist noticed my Caduceus tattoo on my left shoulder. Someone asked me if I got it before or after nursing school, I told them I just got it in Nov, and someone asked if its a nursing symbol or a doctor symbol. Weird conversation, considering everyone was either a doc or nurse, right? I told them I have a friend who is a med student and she got one also.

Next thing I know I have people telling me I'm alright, I did great, and that they would give me pain meds. Got me some toradol before I even knew it. Though it didn't help the gas pain at all... Also, from them wheeling me from the recovery room to my little room I got really nauseated, I started dry-heaving. Ugh. Got some phenergren (sp?) and felt better. They had to give me that 2 more times throughout the day.

I slept sooo much between the pain meds andthe nausea meds. I couldn't wake up! They were like "You need to get up and walk" I'd say "OK, lets do this!" and fell asleep again before my covers could be pulled back! I didn't end up leaving there until about 7:30 last night, cause all I wanted was to sleep.

The first time I got up to walk it was about 1pm-ish. DId the barium swallow - perfect. I was just so grateful to have ANYTHING to drink that the barium was fine with me! (Did anyone else have to drink some nasty tart stuff before surgery to neutralize somach acids?) Then I got apple juice, crystal light, and ice chips. Yeah, I still have the juice and crystal ice. All I wanted was the ice!!!

Met BeckieT for a minute! SHe was in the room next to me. (Hi!) I was so drugged, I'm sure I made a great impression. Haha. But I'm sure she totally understood how I was feeling!!

Did anyone else feel very emotional? From the time I woke up I just wanted to cry! I'd start crying cause I wanted Water and my friend wouldn't reach for it fast enough. I'd cry cause the nurse wasn't getting the phenergren fast enough. I'd cry cause I was so tired, but really wanted to walk. It was insane! I NEVER cry!!

Anyway. I'm home and feelig well, other than gas pain. Got up at about 5:30 am to call in "sick" to work. ANd by 6am I was walking outside, walked about 3 blocks... it was NICE out this morning.

I have 2 friends coming to check on me... one of them is going to take me to Wal Mart so I can walk there and also buy me some broth and stuff.

NOTHING sounds good today. I did eat about 1/4 cup Jello. and have been sipping on Water. Not sure if its gas bubbles moving, or if my stomach is groweling.

I'm up 3 pounds from yesterday.

I also discovered that I am a far better nurse than I am a patient! Haha!

How is everyone else doing?

Hi yall... I went back to work this Wednesday and did ok for the last few days. I've had a lot of soreness at my port site...

So let's be honest... those who have now been banded for a couple of weeks or are in soft stage... First let me tell you I am VERY "Type A". I am a worrier and obsess over everything! I analyze things to the core, and it drives me crazy! But it's me... so anyway...

Ok, band is empty therefore I don't have any restriction. There have been a couple of things that I have eaten that have made me feel pressure for a second (usually after a big or dry bite) but then it passes. I'm not expecting to have restriction right now... but I'm worried that I'm stretching my pouch or messing up the band somehow. Last night I had sushi. It went down fine. (pressure a couple of times but again, it passed almost immediately). I guess since I'm able to eat large amounts and nothing is bothering me.. or getting stuck, that I'm afraid I've messed up the surgery!

Can you stretch the pouch before you have restriction if everything is passing through to the bigger stomach??

Does eating things that aren't mushy damage the surgery... or do they want you to go slow because you may get sick?

Is anybody else 2 weeks out and still very sore at the port?

HELP!! :help:

I will see my surgeon on Tuesday at the hospital, but I'm paranoid! I've thought "just go back to liquids and you KNOW that will be fine". But I'm NOT doing that! I haven't had meats yet or anything fried and bread only once.. But the sushi, Pasta, veggies mashed up... etc. That pressure feeling makes me feel like I'm hurting the pouch till it passes!

I think since my appetite is back and I"m able to eat large amounts without getting sick or nauseated that it's scaring me. I've failed at every diet attempt and I guess I'm just waiting til I ruin this one too... it's breaking my heart. :think

Ja9va -- I've been told that most people have difficulty with rice. Especially, 1/2 a cup, that sounds like a lot. Maybe try not eating and it see how it goes.

Hotty, as far as I know, you should be able to eat almost anything since you don't have restriction. Are you eating slowly? Chewing like crazy? That should help a lot.

Tammy and Kland, great to hear from both of you and your doing well. Yes, your tummy will be swollen from the air and the surgery, it eventually goes down, I have had no gas since my 5 -6 day out. It feels great when that goes away!

Suzzzie- Glad you are doing well too, if you cried it is usually a side effect of the anestetia. Makes you feel weird!

Hotty - Go back and read my post from yesterday, page 78/79 regarding my mushies questions, and the food. I think you should be careful with the large bites and the hard food. I beleive it is mainly so you don't pull out the stitches and move the band.

ooops Lucy, I only had 1/4 cup and did not get it all down, maybe half of that? I think it was I ate to fast and the fish was to big and maybe dry? Today for lunch I got this huge plate of Beans and rice at Baja Fresh along with a cup of tortilla Soup. I ate half the soup and a few bites of the rice/beans. I just ate some more rice/ beans - total 1/2 cup. that will be my dinner. wow, it is hard thinking it all through!

:ermm I was banded on June 4. From the beginning about 40% of my addomen was the color of eggplant--and it hasn't faded a bit. This is not only around the incisions. I have a patch on my side about 10" x 3" and a few spots on my back.

I assumed this was normal, but last night I discovered a thread where people have submitted photos of their incisions and I didn't see a Barney-belly anywhere. Also just the incisions are sinking so when I stand it looks like I have little sinkholes.

'Hoping for reassurance that this is routine!

:ermm I was banded on June 4. From the beginning about 40% of my addomen was the color of eggplant--and it hasn't faded a bit. This is not only around the incisions. I have a patch on my side about 10" x 3" and a few spots on my back.

I assumed this was normal, but last night I discovered a thread where people have submitted photos of their incisions and I didn't see a Barney-belly anywhere. Also just the incisions are sinking so when I stand it looks like I have little sinkholes.

'Hoping for reassurance that this is routine!

I'm thinking......lots of bruising?!? I was given heparin before mine so I bruised around my incisions a little more than usual.

I think I would DEFINITELY call and ask your doctor! Did he see all the purple after surgery?

Hope it's nothing!!!!! Probably isn't.....but reassurance from the MD is always preferable!

hottoddy!!!! Hey! I asked lots of questions about the food intake! They told me they were much more concerned with the texture vs. what you were eating. They said the stomach needed more time to just heal.

I am still tender 9 days post op around the port site....that's really the only place I've been tender......but getting better every day! I'm going to try working out Monday! WEdnesday is check up day!

Question for those who are 2 weeks post-op:

Are you mixing your Protein Shakes with anything (frozen fruit, etc)?

Are you "eating" jello-in solid form or "drinking" it in liquid form?

Hi BB,

Yes, I mixed my shakes with fruit into oblivion in a blender, but then was "on the pot" all day....don't know if there was a connection with the berries???? I've used a SMALL teaspoon of Peanut Butter in mine, too, and that was divine!!!! I may not be the one to be asking though, because I ventured away from mushies very quickly. :embarassed: I can't wait 'till June 25th when I get my first fill!

I ate my Jello.< /span>

HTH,

Toni

Serena, I was very bruised. My bruising now is mostly green in the center with reddish purple outline. I saw the pictures on the thread too and I didn't look like them either. Much more bruised

So let's be honest... those who have now been banded for a couple of weeks or are in soft stage... First let me tell you I am VERY "Type A". I am a worrier and obsess over everything! I analyze things to the core, and it drives me crazy! But it's me... so anyway...

Ok, band is empty therefore I don't have any restriction. There have been a couple of things that I have eaten that have made me feel pressure for a second (usually after a big or dry bite) but then it passes. I'm not expecting to have restriction right now... but I'm worried that I'm stretching my pouch or messing up the band somehow. Last night I had sushi. It went down fine. (pressure a couple of times but again, it passed almost immediately). I guess since I'm able to eat large amounts and nothing is bothering me.. or getting stuck, that I'm afraid I've messed up the surgery!

Can you stretch the pouch before you have restriction if everything is passing through to the bigger stomach??

Does eating things that aren't mushy damage the surgery... or do they want you to go slow because you may get sick?

Is anybody else 2 weeks out and still very sore at the port?

Hi Hotty,

I'm still sore at the port, too, and I think it's to be expected: it's sewn into muscle, isn't it? Ouch!

I'm sooooooo with you on not wanting to damage my band and I VERY HIGHLY DOUBT you did ANYTHING at all to yours! :dance: I've had lots of meals like that with pressure, etc. But last night took the cake for me and I'm also praying that I didn't botch things:

You all know I've been living on the edge here. I'm just eating anything I want! I feel like I've completely healed and I've got nothing but a hollow tube where my band is around----total unrestriction.

.....so last night I waited too long between lunch and dinner and I was s-t-a-r-v-i-n-g. I'm talking b*tchy, hypoglycemic hungry. And we went out to eat and I ordered this "healthy" taco salad which came in two sizes. I ordered the smaller. And I ate the whole thing. It was soooooooo good tasting and I was soooooooooo hungry. Well, the problem was I couldn't handle all the food inside and I got MISERABLE. Almost like I could die (not really, but I'm saying it for effect). And I kept thinking----what did I just do to my band???? Please Lord, don't let any of the stitching pop over a stupid taco salad!

I called my sister out of state and told her, and we talked for a long time. I was thinking I needed to see a psychiatrist to learn HOW TO STOP EATING! She gave me a lot of useful advice, but I still feel so bad. I was just so grateful to see the sun this morning and start a new day.

So my question to you Hotty and everyone: what tools do you have in place to to push away when you are satisfied and not keep eating just because it tastes good and you think you are still a wee bit hungry????? I'm just going to try to stop on my own....willpower....force myself. Any other solutions?

I'm getting my first fill on the 25th and the day can't come soon enough!

Thanks,

Toni