Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Hi everyone!!!

I'm sorry I haven't posted earlier, I spent the first few days after surgery sleeping at my parents and swore off the PC for a few days so I could concentrate on recuperating.

I was banded on Tues the 12th. To be honest I haven't been weighing myself religiously, I've been a little out of it and just trying to work on "feeling" better instead of the weight stuff. Today was the first day I felt almost 100% normal, but this gas is horrible!!!!! Also that burping feeling is very annoying (you keep feeling like you have to burp but can't). Otherwise I am very very happy with my surgeon, my hospital experience (norwalk, CT hospital - nicest people I have EVER met. They all sat down and chatted with me). In the recovery room my post-op nurse got someone from another department that had a band put in last year come talk to me. I thought that was such a nice gesture. I could cry thinking about how awesome the hospital staff was there. They're not my local hospital but I will be going there for any proceedures from now on!

If it wasn't for the GAS, I think i'd feel normal. The gas makes it hard to sit at times, but I've been chewing my gas-x and taking lots of long walks.

I'm a little sore where my port is, it's about 3-4 inches below my rib cage, a litle to the right. It's more on my "stomach" than I thought it'd be for some reason. I don't have stiches, I have those little strips. I've been able to shower since day one but didn't until day 2. I had bad problems with nausea for the first day and a half. It still comes and goes, but it's mostly gone.

PHEW. I can't believe it's over and I did it. My surgeon was hysterical. He's such a funny guy. I was really afraid of getting the anastesia and he distracted me by cracking jokes about everyone in the room taking a trip to hawaii. the last thing I heard was "Okay now get Michele a Marguerita!!" before waking up. He's so awesome!

I've been on Clear Liquids and have to stay on them until my post-op on next Friday. That's about 15 days of clear liquids all said and done. Today I went to a restaurant with my friend and had a yummy thai broth that was my first "real" food. The first few days it was really hard getting down enough liquids, but today was much easier.

I really hate that people are afraid to eat around me. No one wants to mention food, but I keep telling them its okay! I'm pretty satisfied with what I've been eating. I had a chewable Vitamin and two sips of juice the other day and I was full for over an hour, HAHA.

Okay I know I keep blabbing. I do have one question, though. How long does the gas last? It's better than it was before, but it's still far from gone. I've been walking over a mile and a half each day for 3 days but it's still there!

-Michele

Welcome to bandland Bandsters!

I'm not eating either and was banded 6/6. I have two weeks Fluid, two weeks puree. Can't start the puree until Tuesday. I'm just going to 'suck it up' (literally!).

:clap2::clap2::clap2:Insub....you are doing SUPER!

I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday.:hungry: Bet it can't get here fast enough!

Cheers!

Toni

Serena go to userCP at the top of the page click on it and then go to edit signature and delete one of the message lines.

Tammy

Hello everyone,

Well, I made it through and am now an official bandster!!!! YEAH!!! I was banded on June 12th. It actually went alot better than I thought it would. Not anywhere near as painful as anticipated. The most problem that I've had is with nausea / diarhhea (sp?). I'm on an anti nausea so that helps with that end but I can't get the other end under control. I'm probably on the toilet at least 3 -4 times an hour. Makes it a little hard to keep hydrated. Sorry if this is too much info. I think that also because of that I'm having a little bit of a hard time standing up or sitting for long periods. That's why I haven't checked in before now.

I feel great other than that though. Just sooo glad that it's over. My whole family has been a great support.

I'm on a clear liquid diet for 4 weeks now. Totally clear for the 1st week, then I can add 3 Protein Shakes a day for weeks 2 - 4. Then 2 weeks of pureed food, then 2 weeks of soft food. I'm totally OK with that though. I'm a little scared to eat "normal" foods again. I'm not really hungry right now either which definitely helps with that.

I hope everyone else from this past week is doing well. Good luck to those coming up this week. You will all do GREAT!!!

Dawn and Pippz...glad to hear your surgeries went well, and you are both doing great with your diets. Dawn....I had the opposite problem on the pot, but found out it was because of the meds I was taking for pain. Try your best to keep hydrated!!!!!

Cheers to you both!

Toni

I'm a groupie now! A fan of the band! Banded on the 14th. No pain in my shoulder, mainly gas type pains in my gut. The pain meds, and ibuprofen have been great. I feel itchy at the sites of incision and bruised in those areas too. They sting when I bend over. All in all in the pain department, I've been taken care of. I didn't want to eat for the first few days, but today is better. I want to keep my energy up. I've been around 500 calories the last few days, if that. Trying to stick to Protein Drinks and maybe one Soup to keep my salt intake low. Getting in about 40-60 ounces of Water and some yummy coffee. I'm pretty proud of how my body is taking to all these changes, because I was...well....nervous to say the least.

Things I still fear..

-laughing a good laugh....and I'm a laugher

-sneezing (I'm so blessed I'm not allergic to anything...but still, a little dust might make me do it..and I just think it's going to hurt like a sun-uva*****.

-sex....I should have done a lot more of this before being banded...but I was stressed then and wasn't in the mood..and now I'm post surgery and not in the mood and fearing pressure and anything around my sites of incision. Poor DH...sorry to you all if this is too much info....

-forgetting I have the band while making DH dinner and tasting if my finger slides into the dish while removing it from the microwave...last night, I almost did this for DH's bean and taco meat mix. I would have freaked myself out!

-my first bm post-surgery...haven't had it...don't want it to be scary but if I don't 'go' by tomorrow....I'm going out to get some more meds...YAY ;)

Anyway, I'm nervous and excited still...I just wanted to share my experience.

Thank you all for being out there. June bandsters, I'm so glad I found you. We can walk this road together.

ok, question for you all.............i am 5 days post op........and i ate 1/4 of a chicken nugget tonight..........how bad is that? did anyone else cheat just a little??????????? i've been so good on the broth, Jello, liquids, but i caved tonight and only ate 1/4 of the nugget-very small amount and i chewed a ton..............i feel fine, but what does this do to your band so soon? anyone know?

hi All

I have also started my pre-op diet today and I am feeling so far so good. I am being banded onthe 29th June.

My lovely husdband has today taken some photos of me in my clothes and some in my underwear for the fulture and extra motivation when needed. He also has taken the scales from me to stop myself wieghing my self all the time.

congrats to you all that are banded and good luck to those who like me are the end of June

Ah quadmom as long as it was soft and you chewed and chewed, you'll be OK. I cheated on my pre-op a few times but can't do it post op because I worry about my stitches and all the money I've paid. Just think about how little you want to go into hospital again and you'll be right.

Thanks Toni, I'm not going to complain now I've seen other people's strict post-op regimes. How are you doing anyway. Are you as impatient as I am to lose a lot of weight?

Welcome back Michelle, Hopeful and Dawn. I knew you could do it.

Serena, there are several mistakes in your ticker code (no close anchor). You didn't delete the old ticker before you replaced it with the new one. Since you don't know which parts to delete (unless you know about html), it's easier to delete the lot from your sig and get a new ticker code and paste it once. Don't worry, you're almost there.

MusicalMomma - Yay! 8.5 lbs, lucky you. On the mushies, have found that there are some things that you can't tolerate? I am so ready for the mushies.

Nina

Hi Nina :wave: No, I can eat any mushie my little heart desires! Now I REALLY have to be careful about keeping the calories low!

On another note...I wish I had told NO ONE about my surgery!!!!! I am SO frustrated! LOTS of people are asking me..."how much weight have you lost so far?" I snapped at a lady yesterday for it. Poor lady! I know it's because she's interested in the surgery, but DANG, I'm only two weeks out!!!! Give me a break!!! A few people have asked and then said, "it's just because I can SEE that you've lost..." Or something to that effect...but I've lost 40 pounds since JANUARY! Only 10 since surgery...why are they noticing NOW all of a sudden!? I just so wish I had kept it to myself. Today I get to go to church and be asked by many more people I'm sure!

On another note...I wish I had told NO ONE about my surgery!!!!! I am SO frustrated! LOTS of people are asking me..."how much weight have you lost so far?" I snapped at a lady yesterday for it. Poor lady! I know it's because she's interested in the surgery, but DANG, I'm only two weeks out!!!! Give me a break!!! A few people have asked and then said, "it's just because I can SEE that you've lost..." Or something to that effect...but I've lost 40 pounds since JANUARY! Only 10 since surgery...why are they noticing NOW all of a sudden!? I just so wish I had kept it to myself. Today I get to go to church and be asked by many more people I'm sure!

I'm right there with ya momma!! I only told immediate family and co-workers (cause I work in the recovery room). My family is cool. Mama asks occasionally about weight loss... but she's my mama and can ask whatever she wants to! lol But I am already soooo sick of people at work asking about it and watching what I eat!! I have explained a million times.. the band is empty... i have no restriction... this time is for healing and not necessarily weight loss... etc... etc... etc... I know they are just curious, and have also said my loss so far is very obvious??? Im with you... it's frustrating!!!! :phanvan

It's been awhile since I posted-I've been trying to keep up with all the new posts though. This forum is on fire!!!!

Pippz-Your post-op experiences sound just like mine. I was banded the 11th and I am still feeling a little gas in my left shoulder. I also had lost of pain in my chest-don't know if that's normal for everyone or because my doctor had to stitch up my hiatal hernia because it was so bad! If you have a heating pad, use it where the gas pains are-that REALLY helped me A LOT!! I'm glad to know the feeling of having to burp but can't is normal, man, that REALLY hurts.

Does anyone know what that's from?

HopefulLoser-Get some Milk of Magnesia for Constipation. That's what my nurse suggested when I called after not haveing a BM for 5 days. I got some and took it and 4-5 hours later I went and have been going on my own since then.

Quadmom-I got banded the same day as you and I totally understand the nugget. I just want to CHEW something so bad. I tried gum and that's helped a bit, but I'm so sick of Soup and broth....The small amount, and if you chewed well, shouldn't hurt you. Just put it behind you. You're doing awesome!!!

AND WHAT IS IT WITH ALL THE food COMMERCIALS ON TV???? NO WONDER WE ALL HAVE A WEIGHT PROBLEM!!!! I NEVER NOTICED HOW MANY THERE WERE ON TV UNTIL THIS.....JUST WONDERED IF ANYONE ELSE NOTICED IT AS MUCH AS I HAVE....

Good luck to everyone being banded tomorrow. Hope all is well with everyone who has been banded.

My post-op appt is Tuesday morning. I have one more week of full liquids, then on the 25th pureed for 2 weeks, then soft for 2 weeks, then regular food.

Like someone else said, I'm kind of scared to start regular foods again, but I'll just take it slow and concentrate to chew, chew, chew...

Take care all,

Jackie

I'm a groupie now! A fan of the band! Banded on the 14th. quote]

Hi Hopefull Loser - we have the band date! Welcome to the group. Glad things are going well for you.

I have several extracts in my spice rack (formally from making homemade frosting for cupcakes...lol) and sprinkled some in my Atkins chocolate Protein Drink and blended with ice today! I used coconut extract, and it really is yummy!! The coconut takes away the high Protein taste! Yay!

Jackie I agree with you about all the commercials on tv. I have been staying up late watching tv and most commercials are either burgers or Breakfast. It drives me crazy.