Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

I'm glad to hear others talk of this burping thing. What is this? The burp that never comes? Ack. How long before this feeling goes away?

Kland, I'm wondering if it EVER will or if it's just the way things are with the band?!? Time will tell......:phanvan

Stef my insicions are internal stitches with some type of super glue. They are healing fast. It is really strange...

I thought I could not go swimming either but when I went for my follow up visit, one week out she said I could? I just did not need to DIVE!!

Beckie T great job with your progress and I agree about the drinking, it is hard to get it all in. Keep up the great work.

Lucy thanks for the support, I was not offended at all. I agree, that I needed to watch what I ate. I did email my nurse because I am a little afraid of the portions and how to fit in the food I am told to eat!! How are you doing it?

This is a new experience for all of us and it is nice that we can be open and understand our feelings, who else could, really... THANKS!

Hello everyone!!!! I am an official bandit!!! My life was changed forever at 7:00a.m. I am SURPRISED at how well I feel. I taken small naps throughout the day, sipped on broth and Water, and walked around the house. My stomach feels like I've done lots of crunches (I remember what crunches feel like from my previous life!!! hahahaha)

Love to all--

God bless Tuesday's bandsters!!

I have a question, maybe somebody could answer. The hospital wants me to do an ennema. WHY?? The doc's sheets don't eat after midnight and NOTHIng ABOUT AN ENNEMA! But the hospital wants to not to eat after 5:30pm and an ennema. Could somebody please help. Will the hospital know if I dont? thanks

OMG... I can't believe what I just read! I have not had the burps or horrible sensation to burp until today at 2 1/2 weeks post op!! I have been freaking out all day! It seemed today if I wasn't burping, I had the sensation all day long! I felt like I had an egg in my throat and when I would eat or drink it would get stuck (at the throat area). Then I could feel it going down and through my band today! No burps were productive and no vomiting... just pressure in my esophagus! I called my doc and he said to relax and everything sounded fine!

I have really been worried lately about my band. I made a bad food choice with the Friday night sushi and have caught myself taking big bites several times. I was an ER nurse for 10 years before moving the the Recovery Room a year ago. For 10 years I had to inhale my food in 5 minutes and rush back to work. I eat very quickly, don't chew and take huge bites! It's a 10 year habit that I'm trying to break, and I literally have to think about every bite!

I will see my doc tomorrow and have written down questions I need to ask to ease my mind!

I took some gas x a few min ago and the pressure in my throat is better... and my Soup went down nicely!

ONE MORE THING!!! I assumed that the stitches on my actual stomach around the band were dissolvable and were put there to help hold it in place til the scar tissue and adhesions formed... Well, my doc's nurse told me today that they are NOT dissovable and will be there forever!! That made me feel soooo much better. She said a slip before a fill is VERY rare.

PS - I'm a worrier! ;-)

I have a question, maybe somebody could answer. The hospital wants me to do an ennema. WHY?? The doc's sheets don't eat after midnight and NOTHIng ABOUT AN ENNEMA! But the hospital wants to not to eat after 5:30pm and an ennema. Could somebody please help. Will the hospital know if I dont? thanks

I haven't heard anyone else say that they needed to do an enema, and my doc didn't require it. I'm not sure why they want it, other than to just be sure your bowel is empty. You might ask them. Its not that bad...people in general have an anxiety about enemas, especially if they've never had one before, but I'm a nurse and its not that big of a deal.

Good luck!

they didn't ask me to do an enema, but my surgeon's office did require me to take a laxative the afternoon before surgery, if that helps?

:):eek:;):eek::):eek::eek::eek::eek:

Bad, bad, bad day...

I really overdid it today. I having been hurting so badly all afternoon and evening. I flip houses for a living, and I guess I just wasn't ready to be loading and hauling all those building materials this soon after my surgery. It wasn't really heavy stuff...light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, and miscellaneous "stuff". It was the four ceiling fans that did me in. I was a gonner for the day. I knew better, and asked for help at Lowe's...but after I pulled my car up and no one was in sight to help, I loaded the entire flat cart into my truck myself. DUMB! I hate asking for help, though, so I surely wasn't going to ask twice. (I'm a little stubborn, ya think?) I hope I am better in the morning. I was doing so good about not taking my pain meds, too.

Hi Hotty,

I'm still sore at the port, too, and I think it's to be expected: it's sewn into muscle, isn't it? Ouch!

I'm sooooooo with you on not wanting to damage my band and I VERY HIGHLY DOUBT you did ANYTHING at all to yours! :dance: I've had lots of meals like that with pressure, etc. But last night took the cake for me and I'm also praying that I didn't botch things:

You all know I've been living on the edge here. I'm just eating anything I want! I feel like I've completely healed and I've got nothing but a hollow tube where my band is around----total unrestriction.

.....so last night I waited too long between lunch and dinner and I was s-t-a-r-v-i-n-g. I'm talking b*tchy, hypoglycemic hungry. And we went out to eat and I ordered this "healthy" taco salad which came in two sizes. I ordered the smaller. And I ate the whole thing. It was soooooooo good tasting and I was soooooooooo hungry. Well, the problem was I couldn't handle all the food inside and I got MISERABLE. Almost like I could die (not really, but I'm saying it for effect). And I kept thinking----what did I just do to my band???? Please Lord, don't let any of the stitching pop over a stupid taco salad!

I called my sister out of state and told her, and we talked for a long time. I was thinking I needed to see a psychiatrist to learn HOW TO STOP EATING! She gave me a lot of useful advice, but I still feel so bad. I was just so grateful to see the sun this morning and start a new day.

So my question to you Hotty and everyone: what tools do you have in place to to push away when you are satisfied and not keep eating just because it tastes good and you think you are still a wee bit hungry????? I'm just going to try to stop on my own....willpower....force myself. Any other solutions?

I'm getting my first fill on the 25th and the day can't come soon enough!

Thanks,

Toni

Remember, you should take at LEAST 20-30 minutes to eat a small meal. You should chew your food really well, and give your body time to tell your brain that you're full in order to avoid overeating. I've been learning that lesson too.

Thanks, Marlynn.....I HAVE to slow down, and this is new to me. I love that guideline, and understand it's purpose. Boy, I learned the HARD way!!!!!!

Stef....hope you're feeling better tonight. Please don't overdo, and don't feel bashful to ask for help!!! ESP at Lowe's!!!!

Hotty....give us a Dr. report when you can. I'm so interested in what s/he has to say!!!!

Suzzzie....I just love your Avatar...makes me smile!

BB~Congrats and take it easy these next few days! Enjoy all the pampering!!!!!! Glad everything went OK! ;)

Hugs,

Toni

I'm glad to hear y'all are doing well. I start my pre-op diet today with nothing but straight liquids. Less than 50 carbs and more than 50 gms of Protein a day. Oh yeah, bring it on...lol.

Beckiet - that granny apple smoothie was great!

Thanks for all the great info guys. I feel I'm sooo ready for this and have a really good idea of what to expect. Still a little scared of the anesthesia...I've never had anything other than stitches when I was five. The countdown has finally really begun!

Heather that sounds awful, the burping and feeling in your throat. hopefully at the doctor's today you will get some answers! Eating slow is hard for me too, I don't think I am a gulper, but I do eat at a good pace. taking tiny bites and putting down the fork, that is a challenge!! Hang in there!

eva some doctors are old fashion and do the ennema thing. I had one for the first time this year when I had a colonoscopy. I freaked! The nurses said my doc was the only one who still did it! Go figure my luck. It was just a weird feeling. Not as bad as the needles in my book!

stef take it easy, I know how hard it is to give up the independence. Our 15 year old carried the cooler and other heavy stuff this weekend, because my dh has had a back problem recently, we are a sad couple!

Down 2 lbs!!! I didn't weigh this weekend, which is my set weigh in, so I hopped on the scale today! With what we are eating, or NOT eating, you would think it would be 5! But slow and steady.

Have a great day all!!

BCrazy7, you'll be banded by now. We can't wait to hear from you.

Michele, I know what you mean about work. A week or so off doesn't really help if it's all waiting when you get back. I'm back into my usual habit of working extra-long hours. Good luck back at work Suzzzie.

I have a slight infection on my biggest incision. I'm going to watch it for 24 hours and then go to the doc. I should have taken the sticky things off earlier. I was worried it wasn't healed.

BeckieT - great to have you back. I hope your lack of hunger lasts. Mine has for the most part.

Pippz - it's awful when someone notices and comments.

Toni - am glad you're feeling less anxious. While waiting in the doc's today, I saw the guidelines for gastric bypass patients. We are so fortunate in comparison.

Go Little Baby - it's feels great and bad at the same time, doesn't it?

evaughn - I didn't have an enema but each hospital/doc seems to have their quirks. I feel for you. Maybe ask if it's truly necessary.

Heather - Thanks for that info about the stitches. I had no idea. They must be industrial strength. This explains a lot.

Stef - Be gentle with yourself and don't overdo it. You sound like a real go-getter unlike my lazy self.

I am finally on puree (mushies?) today. Woohoo! Not weighing myself was a great idea.What a surprise I got to find out I have lost 11.8 kilos/26 pounds since first day of pre-op diet. Not bad for 6 weeks' work with barely any exercise. I love seeing the effect the loss has on my BMI.

Good morning everyone; I'm glad to hear you're doing well.

I'm pleased to say that I slept on my stomach last night! Wheeeeeee

Feeling great and down a few pounds. Yay for liquid protein! LOL

Oy... so I am skipping work again today. There is just no way! Ha I think I was crazy to be thinking about going to work by Sunday (2 days post-op)! I still have alost of soreness in my left abdomen, today is a mix of muscle pain and that annoying gas - the gass hurts from left chest through to my back. Also I have pain in my mid chest/tummy...thinking its where my band is? I don't know, but its very uncomfortable. Wah, I'm turning into such a complainer!

I did get out of the house on my own yesterday though. I drove 3 miles to Wal-Mart and bought some liquid tylenol, and then stopped on my way home and filled my gas tank. I was in so much pain from getting in and out of the car... I just want to cry! I feel like I should be 'better' by now??

Anyone else having boredom issues?? I'm so BORED sitting around the house!! Normally I would eat my boredom away, but obviously can't now. My neighbors were grilling out steaks last night and they smelled sooooo good, my mouth was watering and my tummy growled, which was weird. I had a bit of a pudding cup and was stuffed. I do miss food.

Bah. I think I just need to start feeling better so I can get up and OUT of this house!!