Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Remember me? My sleeve journey from December 2012

My name is Becky, I was a very active member around here back when I got my sleeve at the end of 2012. I haven't posted anything post-op and I have quite a story so please prepare to read a novel..

Everything happened super quick and easy for me, I saw Dr. Ricks (my surgeon) in early November and qualified for surgery and got my insurance approval letter shortly after that. We scheduled surgery for late December and so it began. I bought tons of Protein Powder, all the Vitamins, gasx strips, mouth spray; I mean I was 100% ready. I went to the hospital on the morning of surgery and everything was picture perfect, I woke up groggy and in pain which was to be expected. Later that evening I started getting up and walking around which helped the pain immensely. I got some sleep but was pretty uncomfortable. The next morning I went for a barium swallow and the strangest thing happened; when I swallowed the awful milky liquid it went down to the junction where my esophagus meets my stomach, spasm'd and then shot back up my throat. It was very uncomfortable but I didn't throw it up and after about an hour in the room, it went back down and we saw no leaks. I was then permitted to start liquids which was painful and very uncomfortable in my chest. I assumed it was normal, went home and began post-op. About two weeks later, I still couldn't eat or drink without severe pain so I headed into the doc's office and told him what was up. We did another barium swallow and the same thing happened. He told me that this is a rare complication and once my esophagus heals all will be well, in the meantime take the Lortab (liquid vicodin) and stay hydrated. I follow the orders, take the pain meds with my liquids so I can get things down without the severe pain. I go back in a month and the problem is not better. He decides to do a endoscopy and dilate the area that's spasming. This does not help, I'm still taking lots of pain medicine at one month post op which is bad because that crap is addictive. (Just an FYI, I'm 20 and have never smoked a cigarette or done any drugs ever. No prior addiction issues.) He wants to try to wean me off the medicine so he puts me on Amitriptiline first to help with spasms. That doesn't help so we add Cartia which is a Calcium channel blocker. This does help but doesn't come close to actually fixing the problem. Eventually about 2 months post op I was completely off the Lortab (very very difficult) and was tolerating (emphasis on tolerating versus being pain free) very soft liquids and some things like ice cream and pudding. Throughout my first 3 months post-op I was hospitalized 5-6 times and was dilated through an endoscopy every time. Nothing was helping, the doctor didn't know what to do and I got really frustrated. I basically just hated food, ate what I could tolerate which wasn't anything even close to diet friendly.

Now, I'm over a year post-op with the same problem and have lost no weight because of the food I'm able to tolerate and such a low metabolism from both Vitamin and Protein deficiency and chronic dehydration. I went back to the surgeon last week and begged him to fix it. He was totally shocked that I'm still having the same problems. He admitted me immediately and did another barium swallow and another endoscopy with dilation. Everything is the same if not worse than it was last year so he is taking an aggressive approach since nothing else seems to be working. He wants to put a stent into my esophagus next week but has told me that 70-80% of people don't tolerate the stent at all and it has to come back out quickly in which case he wants to convert my sleeve to a bypass. I don't really anatomically understand how a bypass would fix the problem since it's at the juncture of the stomach, you'd think that the stomach pouch from the bypass would still spasm where it touched my esophagus but he thinks as a last resort that would fix things.

Has anyone else had this problem or even heard of it? I have no idea what to do, I'm just miserable and want things to be fixed.

It sounds like you have a stricture but it's not getting better with the dilation. I would get a second opinion. Sorry, and I hope you get well soon! God Bless!!!

Wow, what a nightmare! I'm so sorry things have been so awful for you! But I agree with @@mentalistfan that you should definitely get a second opinion before you go under the knife again. Travel if you have to. Converting to bypass is a major undertaking, and you should see if you have other options first. Best of luck and keep us posted!

I feel awful for you. By now you should be enjoying your new body. I hope all goes well for you, and yea, get a second opinion, it can't hurt. Bless you!

I hope they fix this for you very soon!!!

So sorry I haven't heard of that. I agree a second opinion can't hurt. I know revision to bypass can be done for GERD so not too far of a stretch to think of it for spasm.

Best wishes for a quick resolution and speedy and full recovery.

Lynda

After tons of in-depth research I have made a decision. I'm going to go ahead with the revision and schedule surgery for either next week or the week after. Since it's medically necessary the insurance should cover it with no hiccups. I'll let everyone know once I have a date then start a new revision journey thread.

The reason I made this decision is after the crap ton of research I've done I now understand that the reflux is what's most likely (99% positive) the cause of the spasms. We even did a little test where I took Mylanta before I ate to combat the acid then I ate and didn't have spasms so IMO that's enough proof as to what's causing the issue. Next I did the research on the bypass and now understand perfectly how that will get rid of the acid. So, I think it's in my best interest to go through with the surgery and hope and pray that it works for me. It will be a huge undertaking but I'm ready to be able to eat without pain!

You won't be alone. Our beloved Lil Miss Diva and Superstar Susan have either had the revision or are considering it. I know there are others. There is probably a group on the RNY board for Sleeve to RNY, like the one here for Band to Sleeve.

Lynda