Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood clots and plane rides?

I just read on the CDC website for Medical Tourism that they do not recommend abdominal surgery patients travel on a plane until they are ten days out. I'm from Indiana and will be traveling on a plane much sooner than that to get home! My blood likes to clot, so it makes me worry. I've let my intended doctor know about my blood clotting issues...I wonder if I will be sent home with heparin or something? I had to anticoagulate while pregnant because of my issues. Generally I am not on any blood thinning drugs...but I'm trying to take care of my fears, you know how it is!

Cara

I just read on the CDC website for medical tourism that they do not recommend abdominal surgery patients travel on a plane until they are ten days out. I'm from Indiana and will be traveling on a plane much sooner than that to get home! My blood likes to clot, so it makes me worry. I've let my intended doctor know about my blood clotting issues...I wonder if I will be sent home with heparin or something? I had to anticoagulate while pregnant because of my issues. Generally I am not on any blood thinning drugs...but I'm trying to take care of my fears, you know how it is!

Cara

Hi Cara,

We have very similar situations! I have 2 blood clotting disorders but have never had a clot. I take a baby aspirin daily, but had to inject blood thinners during pregnancy. I am also having surgery in Mexico. My doctor knows as well and asked for me to start Lovenox 5 days before surgery (a very low dose, like half a shot) and I will need to continue after surgery. I am having surgery on May 26 and going home on late afternoon of the 29th, so 3 days after. I was told to get compression socks of at least 12mghh and will have blood thinners.

I live in Colorado, so my flight is not so bad, but I plan on walking the aisles every hour. How long is your flight? You can also do ankle circles in your seat and swing your legs. I would contact the doctor and make sure they know your concern and they have an aftercare plan for you on the plane ride home. Chances are they have dealt with this before and will have a quick answer for you.

I hope this is a little helpful. Best of luck to you :)

Let me start by saying - I DO NOT HAVE A BLOOD CLOTTING DISORDER. With that said, I flew from Tokyo to Tijuana for my surgery... it's one heck of a 14 hr return flight from San Diego. I travelled 3 days post op and did not experience any problems. Sometimes my feet get swollen from these long haul flights, but I didn't even experience that. I flew business, so I had more room to begin with. I set an alarm for me every 2 hours to get up, stretch, and walk around for at least 5 mins. It's pretty tough in a cramped space like an aircraft, but activity helps to mitigate.

I was not given anti-coagulants, and my surgeon did not think it was necessary when I expressed a concern. I'd be a bit worried about being on a blood thinner because my drain came out the same day I flew.

Let us know what your doc has to say!

I did not fly for surgery but I am a high clot risk. ( I have had two DVTs and PEs.) I am on blood thinners for life because of this. For surgery I had to discontinue my oral warfarin 5 days prior as it stays in the blood system a while. I injected a generic of Lovenox (WAYYY cheaper!) for 5 days prior to and four days post op. I resumed my oral warfarin the day after surgery. I got up and walked as I could, and they kept the things on my legs in the hospital when in bed. ( Forget their actual name..They inflate / deflate to increase circulation) I wear a compression stocking on my right leg all the time due to vascular damage from the DVTs, but it is a high compression weight. ( I think 30) I can say I had not clotting issues whatsoever during my surgery and recovery. My biggest issue was one of my 5 incisions would not close. They stitched it in the OR, but the subcutaneous tissue was "mush" ( doctors words!) due to blood thinners so it didn't hold closed well. It drained heavily for a day or so until they finally used medical glue to close it. After that, no issues. Any flight, especially long ones, can create clots. As an earlier poster said be sure to walk or at least stand up when you can. If seated pump your feet up and down and move around to keep the circulation flowing. Good luck and wishing much success to you!!!

Hi First let me say i have never had an issue with blood clots before my surgery & i have had 2 other major surgerys in my life... - I had my sleeve sugery on 12/11/13 and had to fly for business 6 weeks later (1/19/14) ON 3/15/14 I was admitted into the hospital for a Blood clot (DVT in my left leg behind my knee - it had been bothering me for several weeks i just didnt know it was a clot... ) for the last 5 weeks all 3 docs (Gastric Doc, Family Doc & Admiting ER Doc) all said it was because of my trip. My flight was about 2 1/2 hours.

My 2 cents to you, if you are flying that soon after surgery is take the advice of all of the above comments, MAKE sure you are wearing the socks, you are moving your feet/legs when sitting & make sure you get up and walk around.

Good luck & best wishes to you!!

Hi First let me say i have never had an issue with blood clots before my surgery & i have had 2 other major surgerys in my life... - I had my sleeve sugery on 12/11/13 and had to fly for business 6 weeks later (1/19/14) ON 3/15/14 I was admitted into the hospital for a Blood clot (DVT in my left leg behind my knee - it had been bothering me for several weeks i just didnt know it was a clot... ) for the last 5 weeks all 3 docs (Gastric Doc, Family Doc & Admiting ER Doc) all said it was because of my trip. My flight was about 2 1/2 hours.

My 2 cents to you, if you are flying that soon after surgery is take the advice of all of the above comments, MAKE sure you are wearing the socks, you are moving your feet/legs when sitting & make sure you get up and walk around.

Good luck & best wishes to you!!

What a scary experience. So glad you are doing well today! Are you on blood thinners now for life? When you flew 6 weeks post-op, did you walk around or wear compression socks?

I too have blood clot concerns as three generations in my immediate family have either died from post-op clots, or had major complications. I have informed my Surgery team, and will make sure that I have the proper medications pre and post op. I purchased first class flights for leg room to keep moving and will be wearing compression stockings. This Canadian girl is leaving nothing to chance.

What a scary experience. So glad you are doing well today! Are you on blood thinners now for life? When you flew 6 weeks post-op, did you walk around or wear compression socks?

@Ivana_bethin I am on blood thinners till at least the end of Sept.. I wont knw if i will be on them longer untill after i have some test done come July. I did not wear compression socks, i didnt really think i needed to... And i thought i moved around enough, i guess i didnt...

I will definitely follow the surgeon's instructions and do what I can to prevent a clot. Congratulations on your loss! :)