Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My hair is falling out! Help!

I will start with a little about me, as I am very new to this app :) I was banded nov.13th,2013. I found out I was pregnant nov.28th but unfortunately had a miscarriage on jan.10th,2014. I actually started my weight loss journey after that. I weighed in at 253.7 pre-op and today I am 218.4. It's a slow process but I am pleased so far :) however my hair is falling out like crazy! I do take Biotin but it's not seeming to help- any ideas??

Sorry for your loss.

Regarding your hair falling out....it doesn't stop right away even with the extra Protein and Biotin. It took several months before my hair started to come back. I know it's horrible to see it fall out and horrifying if it gets so thin you can see scalp as happened to me. But just know that it will come back. I promise. Keep up the Biotin and see about taking Protein supplements if you need to.

Hi there, I was banded November 5th -- sorry for all you went through this winter but I'm glad that you're feeling on track now. I am having hair loss as well, and taking Biotin, etc. Some one wrote that there is a correlation to anesthesia and that at around four months some people have Hair loss. Mine is still pretty thick -- a lot of white hairs are appearing on every jacket, however, and it is a bit alarming. But I know from reading so many posts here that it's very temporary and so I'm not really that worried. Good luck to you -- glad you're here! We can hold up that November Bander flag.

I just took the equivalent of a small kitten out of the shower drain. It's coming out like crazy. But everyone...and I mean everyone (doctors, nutritionist, friends online, hair stylist) all assure me it will eventually stop and grow back in. So, I'm choosing to stress over other things...like which flowers to plant in the yard :) Hang in there!

Thanks everyone.. I know I read a lot about it before getting banded but my hair was always very thick and I didn't think much about it- but it has thinned out so much that it has started to scare me. I was thinking it looked worse then it was because my hair is long but it has gotten very very thin now.. I hope it starts to grow back soon. Thanks for the words of encouragement :)

I will start with a little about me, as I am very new to this app :) I was banded nov.13th,2013. I found out I was pregnant nov.28th but unfortunately had a miscarriage on jan.10th,2014. I actually started my weight loss journey after that. I weighed in at 253.7 pre-op and today I am 218.4. It's a slow process but I am pleased so far :) however my hair is falling out like crazy! I do take Biotin but it's not seeming to help- any ideas??

Bandedchick, first of all, I am so sorry for your loss. (((hug)))

Hair loss. Yeah... That one is a horror show, fo shizz! When I started this process a year ago, I had ass length, insanely thick hair. I knew, from my research, that I would experience shedding post surgery, so a couple of months before I was banded, I had my hair cut to just above waist length to make it easier to deal with. Or so I thought.

Had my surgery on November 21st and in mid January, my hair started really falling out. In hanks. I would wash it, comb it out in the shower and have handfuls of hair in a ball on the shelf in my shower. Comb out after my shower and have a shower pouff sized ball of hair sitting on my dressing table. I'd just sit and want to cry. Every time I touched my head, brushed or combed my hair, more and more and more just. Came. Out. It got to the point that I couldn't deal with the hair loss and my long hair any longer, it was too depressing, I called my hair stylist, begged her to squeeze me in for a cut. She knew that I was shedding and why so she got me in that day and cut my waist length hair to just below my shoulders. My much shorter hair just made the shedding easier to take. My hair is so thin, in comparison to where it was when I started but it is so thick that I don't have bald spots, just some thinning around my hair line and a pretty skinny ponytail. LOL

My shedding has finally normalized. *whew!* And, at my last colour touch up a few weeks ago, my stylist told me that I have a ton of new growth coming in! :D I will give it about a year for my thickness to recover then I can let my hair grow, again. Having short hair is fun but I miss my long hair. I'm ready to get it back, again. :)

I will say this, losing my hair has been worth it. If I had to go through this to get my band, it's a price I'm willing to pay. :)

Im sorry for your loss, sending hugs to you ! As far as Hair loss goes , I didnt have any, thank God ! I have very thin, straight baby fine hair, colored and just below my shoulders. I would be bald had I lost any ! I HIGHLY reccomend Joico Shampoo and conditioners, sold at salons. A liitle pricey, but a little goes a long ways. After 4 weeks of daily use , my dry hair turned very silky. Since im not trying to yank a brush or comb through my hair several times a day, I rarely shed more than a little bit daily. Give it a try ! Good luck !

I have had Hair loss as well. I use the Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner and it seems to be helping me. My hair was to the middle of my back and this last weekend I got it cut to my shoulders. It was just so thin and getting it cut it seems thicker. Good Luck!

My hair shed, really badly for a good, solid six months. Then it suddenly stopped and returned to normal. I think it is our body reacting to the drugs during surgery, after surgery, the drastic change in our nutrition and it's struggle to adjust to it's new state of being. It is shifting the nutrients is it getting around to more vital functions and the "vanity" functions don't receive as much attention and suffer, for a while until the body learns to live in this new reality.

For me, Vitamins, Protein shakes, shampoos, conditioners and so forth didn't do any good. My body just shed my hair. I'm just happy that I started out with hella thick hair or I would be in a real pickle, now. :lol: As it is, I just have what looks to the casual observer as "normal" hair, even tho to me, it is pitifully thin. :P I can't wait for this baby re growth to all grow in and my hair to return to normal. I miss my long, thick hair so much!