Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

so i went to teh dietician and theres no way around it no second guessing scale didnt 2nd guess digital reading went from a blank screen to 492.1 without a flutter between any numbers WOW is what im thinking i swear im shocked. i dont feel like im 500 pounds when i look in a mirror i dont think i look like 500 pounds maybe im reverse anorexic lol!!! this is the start my friends the long hard journey. when at the dietician she had a generic meal and diet plan that she had to alter because im not overweight im really overweight yesterday ill give you an idea of waht i ate and maybe u can tell me if i did good

morning : whey Protein mix with 2% milk

mid mornign snack : small salad with light dressing and 12 low fat crackers

lunch : turkey sandwhich on wheat w/ mustard

mid afternoon snack : 12 crackers and bowl of wheat nugget Cereal stuff

dinner : regular sized salad with half chicken breast

late snack : another bowl of wheat nugget Cereal (good stuff)

im going to walk my dogs tonight i guess im on my way

Big, sounds okay to me, if its what your dietician recommended. I like Cereal alot too and i have that opposite body dysmorphia too i think. :( i can relate. My dad was a little larger than you. I can relate to that too.

Hey..i use an online thing you might be able to use too. Its free. I first heard about it here, on this board but then my nutritionalist said to me out of the blue one day that i have to use it because i live so far away from the surgeon and the nutritionalist, that it will help them keep track of me. SO far its worked wonderfully and allowed me to relax a bit about the diet, Add your activities in there too, its very easy to customize your foods if you eat them different than they provide. You can also enter "Custom foods" if its not on the menus.

It calculates how many calories and nutritional info you consume daily, as well as how your activities balance them out, keeps track of your carbs, Vitamin levels even Water intake.

Plus theres a journal page you can put notes for yourself or your nutritionalist to read if there were extenuating circumstances for that day like "i was sick all day so i just ate Soup and laid on the couch" or "it was my birthday and i had an extra piece of birthday cake"...

its amazingly effective. give it a try. if you make it public you can send the link to your nutritionalist or other friends who are journeying with you.

www.fitday.com

check it out.

im Lizrbit on there.

wow thanks allot im checking it out right now i need something to keep track WHILE im eating instead of remember at night. ill post again after i go through this a little more but im already liking it. my name there is BigThunder

Welcome Big,

You are brave . I'm glad you know that you are on a long road. I'm glad you are going to get yourself in better health. You will be so happy with a band. My band keeps me feeling full.

I am a big dog lover. In fact I am a dog groomer. Your dogs will enjoy the extra outside time.

When I lost my first 50 lbs I couldn't believe the difference in my movement. Look foward to that.

Best wishes,

edie

I might remind u that im coming from a diet that included MUCH worse meals i probably ate from 5-10k calories a day and eating bran cereal and salad and crackers is a big jump from eating cupcakes and pringles. i might not be on the perfect pre band diet but just like teh dietician things need to be modified i cant go frm 10k calories to 1k a day its just impossible and also i am preband so with these little meals i do feel hungry at times. im probably consuming 1/3 the amount of meals and 1/5 the calories

i love the idea of rye crackers ill try that out and im eatin a salad made at work and omg how hard it was to push aside the shredded cheese ^^ but i look forward to my next weighing being LESS than what im at now thats my motivation

BigThunder I think you are doing great! As for the protien absorption I have searched everywhere for the truth in that theory and have found none. It seems to be a body builder thing based on old types of protien supplements. Solid protien continues to absorb during it's entire trip through our intestines as does all food which is about 24-36 hours. You don't need to go straight to bandster amounts yet you aren't banded yet! Just follow your nutritionists instructions as best you can remembering that you are human!

We are ALL here to help you in our many different ways . I wish I could walk with you when you are walking your puppies (lol).

your soon to be band sister,

edie

I LOVE this board and the support hopefully after im done with the whole process i can help other newbies on the board with what they are dealing with

I'll mention this here since it was brought up in this thread. I spoke to a friend of mine who is a food scientist today. He actually specializes in protien supplements for bariatric patients! For what it is worth he says that most protien is absorbed when the food is in your stomach although the intestines absorb as well not nearly as much. He doesn't know of any specific amount of protien that is too much but says the body will absorb what it needs and get rid of the rest as fecal matter. Now if you are eating huge amounts of calories the excess calories will be stored as fat, but whether it is the carbs the protien or the fat that gets stored first it is the carbs first then the fat and protien. So if you ate 5,000 calories of protien a day and no carbs much of that would be stored as fatm but if you ate 1,000 cal of protien none of it would be stored as fat even if it was 200+g of protien I hope that makes sense the way I wrote it. There will probably continue to be differences of opinion on this but I now have peace of mind about it.

Hi,

My highest weight was over 570 pounds, and it was not until much later that I could "See it".

I strongly recommend that everyone take a LOT of photographs to document their weight loss journey. Here's why:

Most people who are morbidly obese do not like having their picture taken. They avoid the camera because the photographs don't lie.

That fact can be put to good use before and during your weight loss. Simply put, the best way to document weight loss is not a scale graph of pounds lost, or a size chart of inches lost.

The best way to document weight loss is to take photographs before and during the process. biggrin.gif

I advise people setting out on this journey to take three initial pictures.

The recommendations that I give are these:

1. Take three views, front, side and back (That means you need a automatic timer camera or a friend to help you)

2. Take the pictures in the same place every time. A doorway is a great choice, because it helps put a known quantity into the picture. Other good places are in front of a fireplace or another known point of reference.

3. Take the pictures while wearing form-fitting clothes. A swimsuit is IDEAL.

4. Take the pictures with the same camera, and make sure you are standing the same distance from the camera every time. That's why a doorway helps. You can line yourself up in the doorway and use a measuring tape to find the distance to the camera.

5. Take that same set of pictures every month. Front, back and side views. Wear the same clothes and make sure the distance to the camera is the same.

6. Have the "Before" pictures printed out, and tape them to your refrigerator.

7. Have the latest set of pictures printed out, and tape those next to the "Before" pictures.

In doing this, you mind has irrefutable PROOF that what you are doing IS WORKING.

People frequently do NOT "See" their weight loss, and they become frustrated, perhaps by a scale weight that is not moving, even though their body size is reducing at an amazing rate.

This is a great way to "See" your weight loss.

The best way to document weight loss is to take photographs before and during the process. biggrin.gif

As an example, BEFORE:

Wendell%20in%20suit.jpg

And AFTER:

IMGP2495-1.JPG

I strongly recommend that everyone take a LOT of photographs to document their weight loss journey.

i couldnt agree more with this statement. i hated the fact that the night before my surgery i was standing "posing" for my husband in a very tight pair of exercise pants and a t shirt.... but now i am SO very grateful that i did ... i just took my 6 month photos and comparing the two has given me the motivation that i needed... i was not eating right and not working out as much as i should have ... this, along with gentle "kicks" from wonderful board members, has pushed me and renewed my promise with myself.

good luck and welcome!

Those are good ideas. One thing that helps me out when I have weak moments, like at grocery stores, or when looking at DH's box of honey Buns (he needs a better diet) and so forth is for me to suck on a piece of sugar free gum or a ginger altoid (I love ginger) or something. Those things are sweet or strong flavored so they give me what I want in terms of instant oral satisfaction and help me remind myself that will power is in there somewhere. Pictures don't work so well for me but I'm wierd. I did find virtual model helpful though.

I just love my band. I've lost about thirty pounds now (my ticker is always a bit behind these days). I think I'm starting to notice a bit of a difference. I know for sure that my clothes are bigger. That alone is great.

Pre banding I could get advice from a dietician or other well meaning person. And I could know something but still it might not work for me. Mostly because I would get hungry. Sure I might know that I was supposed to eat veggies. But I would get hungry, like feed me seymour hungry and then I tell myself that I am supposed to eat veggies and myself says back "are you kidding me? I'm Hungry here. I'd like a hamburger, fries, and a milkshake. Veggies aren't going to do it." Now I look in the freezer. I think about getting in Protein and then veggies and stuff. Then I might take out a frozen meal thats apropriate. I can't even finish one. And when I do eat junk food like ice cream I can stop after one serving like I'm supposed to. (But I do have remind myself to stop)

So good luck. Fill your head with those happy and healthy visions... You can do it!

Gday Big Thunder, Good on ya mate! Go you good thing! You can do it. It is so worth it. You will get your life back.:) :clap2: Susannah

welcome Big Thunder! I am also pre-band and waiting for my meeting with the nutrionist. We're all here for you hun. This place does wonders for support! I can't wait to hear more on your progress hun!