Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Repetitive and Circuitous Topics....

That, quite frankly, is awesome.

I want to know how they're going to do it. All the gory details please!

I don't envy your recurrent illness though. You must have been wiped out with the bugs and the drugs.

In August 2012 when I came back from somewhere fairly awful, I, too, got quite sick and was pumped full of everything. Trips to the Tropical disease centre, arms like a junkies. Took months to get my mojo back.. And a year later I decided to have this surgery! Not the brightest of ideas, but (touch wood), I'm all good (albeit my recent infection (unrelated)) took two courses of antibiotics to clear.

You poor thing. You must've felt like a ragged dog. Hope you feel better soon. x

Now and in the meantime, please do make my stomach turn with this groovy procedure you're going to have! :D

Madam, you have an incredibly delightful way with words...

Madam, you have an incredibly delightful way with words...

Why, thank you very much! :D

(although I think the three dots behind your sentence leads me to believe that this wasn't, in fact, a compliment) :blink:

Oh well, I'll take it anyway!

Oh, I'm delighted with this thread. Something different!

Personally, I've been enthralled recently with kindle's fecal transplant and the thread on sunlight in the early morning keeping you slim.

But I've missed you, Revs. Your witty banter always brings a smile to my face. Let the new topics begin!

Oh, regarding food addiction, Laura-ven started a very good thread on that topic a while ago if anyone is interested in searching for it. I must say, I do miss her feistiness on here.

we could just call it COPING WITHOUT food, since addiction is such a flamable word. i frankly dont give a FF what its called, i just know that if i cant figure out how to soothe, calm and entertain myself without food, i will fail at this.

exercise, deep breathing, talking to others, doing art, these things all help. also losing weight has made my hormonal problems lessen, so emtionally i am more stable and need to cope less. its all good, but more help is always good. :)

Darling, how can you miss me - i've always been here! Just haven't started off many crunchy topics for a while...

I have been shoving in my two penneth worth from time to time though. Whether its wanted or not - which is usually the case.

Maybe what I see here will develop some thinspiration! xx

we could just call it COPING WITHOUT food, since addiction is such a flamable word. i frankly dont give a FF what its called, i just know that if i cant figure out how to soothe, calm and entertain myself without food, i will fail at this.

exercise, deep breathing, talking to others, doing art, these things all help. also losing weight has made my hormonal problems lessen, so emtionally i am more stable and need to cope less. its all good, but more help is always good. :)

I am exactly the same. If I am not entertained, I eat.

I am grazing like the proverbial cow.

For example, right now, I'm eating sunflower seeds.. Hand-mouth-eat-chew-hand-mouth-eat-chew (ad infinitum ad nauseum)

I have to acknowledge on some level there is an addictive creature in me. I am hoping, when circumstances permit (ie I move home), that I'll be able to transfer that addiction to exercise... As it stands and as of right now? I am not doing what I should be doing - and I know it.

Hang in there, sista x

thanks hon! i am doing well, my stress level goes up and down.. i know i need more exercise, right now its 3 days a week. if spring will actually ever arrive in the northeast US i would be able to do more!

but yes, my life is never really ever entertaining enough! lol

Edited by moonlitestarbrite

I sadly think you're mistaken. I can fall in love on a daily basis with wine, gin, vodka, lasagne, cocktails.... :blink:

HAHAHAHA... okay, somehow i missed this. yeah. BTDT... luckily i left the substances behind a while ago.. now i need to get over the food crushes... currently in love with my yoga teacher... so i get excited about seeing her on saturdays for class... this is constructive, no?

now i must find a hot and beautiful crossfit teacher or something, right? or body pump or some other scary sounding full body work out. :D

Ok, first off this procedure is still in the experimental phase and my gastroenterologist has only done about 30 of these. So he doesn't have designated equipment or donor base. I have to supply my own blender and my own donor stool.

My donor can't have been on antibiotics for at least 6 months. They must be free of HIV, syphillis, hepatitis, giardia, C. diff, H. Pylori and a whole slew of other parasites that could be residing in their colon. They must submit both blood and stool samples for screening. My work partner volunteered to donate, but she takes an antibiotic for a recurring skin rash so she didn't qualify. I inquired about her 9 year old son since he's never taken antibiotics in his life and he's got nice youthful, innocent, uncontaminated poo. She informed me he only goes about once/week and it's huge. Logistically, that would make it difficult to schedule the transplant procedure, and I really didn't want to "inherit" his BM patterns and overflow my toilet on a weekly basis. My PCP learned of my dilemma and promptly volunteered his wife. I am actually pretty good friends with her, so we decided this would be a great opportunity to take our friendship to "the next level". Two days ago she submitted her samples and we are anxiously awaiting the results.....oh yeah, and she can't eat any nuts, seeds or corn for the next week. If I had any food allergies, she would be have to avoid any of those things, too.

In the meantime, I am taking vancomycin which basically kills everything in my GI tract. I stop the vanco 2 days before the transplant. I then have to do a colonoscopy prep to clean out my pooper. ( haven't gotten the exact protocol for this yet, but I'm sure it will be lots of FUN) On Thursday morning, my donor will take her normal constitutional and bag up the results. They will take her disease-free stool and mix it with saline (this is where my blender comes in). They then inject the poo slurry near the junction of my small and large intestine via colonoscopy. They have me take Imodium before and after the procedure to help hold it all in. Apparently introducing the slurry via nasogastric tube has also been used, but the risk of regurgitation and aspiration into your lungs makes that method more risky. (Hopefully that part turned your stomach a little bit)

So the theory is her flora will set up residence in my intestines and prevent the C. Diff from being able to flare up again. All the Probiotics supplements in the world can't mimic the wondrous complexity of the genuine thing. My gastro has seen a 90% success rate with this treatment, which beats the 0% success rate I've had on the last 5 rounds of antibiotic treatment.

I am in love with this procedure. So simple, but so effective.

I really hope it works for you. The logic of it is endless.

(and sadly, no, the aspiration bit didn't throw me. It made me giggle in a 'haha, you farted' kind of way.) Probably because the logic of shoving it down your throat rather than up your bum makes little sense to me anatomically!

Yes, I am that sad

Ooh, exciting!

One question though.. Why YOUR blender?!

Because my gastro doesn't have a designated "fecal transplant facility" and doesn't do enough to justify purchasing whatever AMA approved, autoclave able blending device he would need. So the transplant patient simply provides their own inexpensive blender that is subsequently thrown away. In my case, a friend was given a new fancy Vitamix Blender for her birthday. She was going to take her old blender to the thrift store, but I confiscated it. I truly feel it was fate.

(although I think the three dots behind your sentence leads me to believe that this wasn't, in fact, a compliment) :blink:

It was a compliment. Lol

Because my gastro doesn't have a designated "fecal transplant facility" and doesn't do enough to justify purchasing whatever AMA approved, autoclave able blending device he would need. So the transplant patient simply provides their own inexpensive blender that is subsequently thrown away. In my case, a friend was given a new fancy Vitamix Blender for her birthday. She was going to take her old blender to the thrift store, but I confiscated it. I truly feel it was fate.

Fate has dealt you.... a second hand blender for poo mushing!

lol awesome.

Next I'll be asking for a lottery win, holiday in the Caribbean, new car.... :D

It was a compliment. Lol

Well, I thank you most sincerely :D