Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss surgery is NOT easy... the things I wished they had warned me about.

I had my surgery on February 26... the gastric sleeve. All during my consultations prior to surgery I was never told quite how bad I would feel after surgery. All I heard was that you'd probably not feel a lot of pain after surgery and would be able to get up and walk the same day. What???

I wish someone would have prepared me for what was to follow. I went into this thinking that this would be somewhat of an easy operation. Listen ITS MAJOR SURGERY....... WITH MAJOR SUGICAL RISKS.... DO NOT TAKE IT LIGHTLY. i Think if I had been clear of some of the real life side effects would have been that it wouldn't have been such a shock to me when i woke up after surgery in so much pain.

After I woke up from surgery I had a stabbing pain on my left shoulder and under my breast. The first thing I thought of 'my heart' but the nurses said the pain was from the carbon dioxide that they use in surgery to fill your abdoment with gas to be able to view all the internal organs more clearly. my surgery was done laporoscopic so I didn't have a large wound on my abdomen. The wounds themseves caused me no discomfort due to the long acting anesthesia that the doctor injected into the abdomenal wall by the incisions that lasts for three days. I couldn't understand why i felt so horrible.

Now all my pre op tests indicated that my heart was in GREAT shape.... I had the echocardiogram done and the stress test then a couple EKG's before surgery that were all normal. I had the Pulmonary Function Test, The sleep apnea studies (i do not have sleep apnea) blood tests and the Egd.... yes they did say that i had a small hiatal hernia that would be repaired during this surgery. SO i didn't understand why my Blood pressure skyrocketed after surgery and stayed high during my stay even with blood pressure medicatons. My heart rate was dangerously high. I had severe nausea. I couldn't even drink Water sometimes and the Protein drink made me sick and I vomitted it along with Jello and nasty chicken broth. the only thing that i could half way eat without extreme nausea was the sugar free popsicles and sips of hot tea...(but it had to be hot and not cold) I couldn't even take my liquid medicine without taking two different anti nausea pills beforehand. I gagged when i tried to take it because the taste was so nasty.... liquid Lortab after surgery...... ughhhh what are they thinking?

I couldn't even fathom walking in the hall the first day. All I wanted to do was to sleep and take my pain meds. I only walked from my bed to the bathroom and back several times a day. I had nurses coming in every two hours around the clock either taking my blood pressure, sticking my finger with a needle to test my blood sugar (standard testing there for WLS ptsl) taking my temp. putting meds in my Iv etc etc......

I did have the test where they took me down to X ray the following day and made me swallow a milky substance (lucky i didn't vommit it up) to allow them to see the fld as it went down into my sleeve to test for leaks..... I had NO leaks thank God.

I felt hot all the time in the hospital but didn't have a fever. My face was flushed. They told me to keep using the spirometer so I wouldn't get Pneumonia. I tried to do it as much as possible. they said i had to be able to drink a lot of Water before they could send me home. I ended up staying in the Hospital for four days.... not one like promised. I felt like a train wreck.... I know everyone is different but I think everyone should be warned of WHAT COULD HAPPEN...... and not go into this lightly thinking it's a piece of cake.

I went home on the forth day still feeling horrible.... still with high blood pressure and now on meds for it (i did not have high blood pressure before surgery) Still in pain.... Now the surgical sight is aching as the long acting med done locally has worn off. Still can't take the lortab liquid without feeling nauseated....... Still sleeping most of the time but now at least I was able to drink more water and maybe a half of a Protein shake.

I felt better after seven days when i went back to the doctor but was still very weak..... still on liquids.

Now I am six weeks out and finally feeling more normal again and happy I went through this.... BUT the hard work is still ahead. This surgery is NOT magic...... you have to follow the guidelines and instructions they give you or you won't be successful....... I am on phase 3 diet and have lost over 20 lbs since surgery...... I t is still Hard..... and had nausea today after eating scrambled eggs.

I am not trying to scare anyone but be prepared, ask questions.... This surgery is NOT easy.... don't ever believe what some people say here..... I just don't go into this thinking it's easy ,cause it's NOT......... I'd still do it again...... No pain, No gain....... well I don't want to gain lbs just good health........

This is great information. I can definitely see how knowing that it can be horrible can be helpful. I want to know all of the possible side effects/problems that can arise so I can be prepared. Sounds like you are doing much better now. Congrats on your pounds down! Keep it up.

My doctor warned me about possible problems...most of which you spoke about... that's a shame that they didn't cover it better for you. Yes, even tho it's laproscopic, it is still major surgery, even if your outsides don't look like it :) ... I had a dehydration problem... which I was told about... but was able to work past it eventually...

Everyone is different, and some take to this better than others... my major problem was the fluids, which caused the dehydration... since I knew what was going on (being informed from my doctors office) I went in to his office for an IV drip and after that, I did much better...

But, I agree, this or any surgery should not be taken lightly... I don't regret making this decision either... good luck to you!

How long have you been reading this forum?.Or have been on here?

Okay sorry I just read that you joined this site in March. The reason I asked is that there are plenty of people on th forum that had and are still having complications because of WLS.

I was asked by my doctor before I had this surgery " What is the worst thing that can happen to you if you do this?" He forced me to reply as he kept repeating the question until I did. I said okay DIE! And he said yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I had everything happen to me except death and am still suffering with complications 17 months out. I don't know why anyone would think that with any surgery you have pain and problems. Even having your teeth out you can die, have complications, uncontrolled bleeding or whatever.....

I am glad you are okay and hope that things will continue to get better and better for you. Reminding everyone that it is not a piece of cake helps as well. Good idea....yes...

When I read about those people who had it easy. I Celebrate for them and I am a bit jealous......I don't want anyone to have to go through what I personally have been through to get me to here.....I paid a gigantic price for this..In my mind time and money well spent..Will never see it any other way even though it has been hell!

@RJ'S/beginning I am happy for those two that didn't have to suffer like I did. I only found out about this site after sugery. If i had know how bad i would have reacted to this surgery, I probably would not have done it though. good thing in a way that i suffered so much because now my motto is 'I didn't go through this for nothing' and it keeps me in compliance.

I don't know what all happened to you but i k now my post op experience was a nightmare. My daughter told me oh mom it couldn't have been worse than having four kids..... I said YES it most definitely was worse. At least after labor pains are over I always felt good afterwards and relieved and happy with a new baby..... My weight loss now will be like my 'newborn' self.... A new start.... A new beginning for me.

I wish I'd found this site sooner, it would have helped a lot...... Thanks...

I had my surgery on February 26... the gastric sleeve. All during my consultations prior to surgery I was never told quite how bad I would feel after surgery. All I heard was that you'd probably not feel a lot of pain after surgery and would be able to get up and walk the same day. What??? I wish someone would have prepared me for what was to follow. I went into this thinking that this would be somewhat of an easy operation. Listen ITS MAJOR SURGERY....... WITH MAJOR SUGICAL RISKS.... DO NOT TAKE IT LIGHTLY. i Think if I had been clear of some of the real life side effects would have been that it wouldn't have been such a shock to me when i woke up after surgery in so much pain. After I woke up from surgery I had a stabbing pain on my left shoulder and under my breast. The first thing I thought of 'my heart' but the nurses said the pain was from the carbon dioxide that they use in surgery to fill your abdoment with gas to be able to view all the internal organs more clearly. my surgery was done laporoscopic so I didn't have a large wound on my abdomen. The wounds themseves caused me no discomfort due to the long acting anesthesia that the doctor injected into the abdomenal wall by the incisions that lasts for three days. I couldn't understand why i felt so horrible. Now all my pre op tests indicated that my heart was in GREAT shape.... I had the echocardiogram done and the stress test then a couple EKG's before surgery that were all normal. I had the Pulmonary Function Test, The sleep apnea studies (i do not have sleep apnea) blood tests and the Egd.... yes they did say that i had a small hiatal hernia that would be repaired during this surgery. SO i didn't understand why my Blood pressure skyrocketed after surgery and stayed high during my stay even with blood pressure medicatons. My heart rate was dangerously high. I had severe nausea. I couldn't even drink Water sometimes and the Protein Drink made me sick and I vomitted it along with Jello and nasty chicken broth. the only thing that i could half way eat without extreme nausea was the sugar free popsicles and sips of hot tea...(but it had to be hot and not cold) I couldn't even take my liquid medicine without taking two different anti nausea pills beforehand. I gagged when i tried to take it because the taste was so nasty.... Liquid Lortab after surgery...... ughhhh what are they thinking? I couldn't even fathom walking in the hall the first day. All I wanted to do was to sleep and take my pain meds. I only walked from my bed to the bathroom and back several times a day. I had nurses coming in every two hours around the clock either taking my blood pressure, sticking my finger with a needle to test my blood sugar (standard testing there for WLS ptsl) taking my temp. putting meds in my Iv etc etc...... I did have the test where they took me down to X ray the following day and made me swallow a milky substance (lucky i didn't vommit it up) to allow them to see the fld as it went down into my sleeve to test for leaks..... I had NO leaks thank God. I felt hot all the time in the hospital but didn't have a fever. My face was flushed. They told me to keep using the spirometer so I wouldn't get Pneumonia. I tried to do it as much as possible. they said i had to be able to drink a lot of water before they could send me home. I ended up staying in the Hospital for four days.... not one like promised. I felt like a train wreck.... I know everyone is different but I think everyone should be warned of WHAT COULD HAPPEN...... and not go into this lightly thinking it's a piece of cake. I went home on the forth day still feeling horrible.... still with high blood pressure and now on meds for it (i did not have high blood pressure before surgery) Still in pain.... Now the surgical sight is aching as the long acting med done locally has worn off. Still can't take the lortab liquid without feeling nauseated....... Still sleeping most of the time but now at least I was able to drink more water and maybe a half of a Protein Shake. I felt better after seven days when i went back to the doctor but was still very weak..... still on liquids. Now I am six weeks out and finally feeling more normal again and happy I went through this.... BUT the hard work is still ahead. This surgery is NOT magic...... you have to follow the guidelines and instructions they give you or you won't be successful....... I am on phase 3 diet and have lost over 20 lbs since surgery...... I t is still Hard..... and had nausea today after eating scrambled eggs. I am not trying to scare anyone but be prepared, ask questions.... This surgery is NOT easy.... don't ever believe what some people say here..... I just don't go into this thinking it's easy ,cause it's NOT......... I'd still do it again...... No pain, No gain....... well I don't want to gain lbs just good health........

Hi!

I was wondering if you're still taking the blood pressure medication? Also, have you had other major surgeries in the past? Just trying to figure out why some have complications and others breeze right through...

I'm being sleeved on 5/7 so my emotions are all over the place!!

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery!!

@law001 That's the funny thing.... I no longer need the blood pressure meds now..... I have NEVER had surgery in my life...... and was told I was healthy enough for the surgery after enduring all the pre op tests...... Maybe my age has something to do with it ..... I'm almost 60 and have Rheumatoid Arthritis Also I think the more overweight you are makes a huge difference as well..... I started at 333 lbs. The doctor thinks that it was a 'STRESS reaction to surgery' this is what he told me happened to me. There is no way of telling if someone will have this or not. It could happen to anyone but at least i had great care in the hospital and they watched me very carefully and did everything possible to control my blood pressure and nausea..... I am feeling good now at six weeks out. I don't ever want to forget how i suffered to get to this point and will always use this new tool to lose all my weight so i can get healthy again. Hopefully when I lose 100 lbs i can get my knee replacement and get my life back finally...... :)

@law001 That's the funny thing.... I no longer need the blood pressure meds now..... I have NEVER had surgery in my life...... and was told I was healthy enough for the surgery after enduring all the pre op tests...... Maybe my age has something to do with it ..... I'm almost 60 and have Rheumatoid Arthritis Also I think the more overweight you are makes a huge difference as well..... I started at 333 lbs. The doctor thinks that it was a 'STRESS reaction to surgery' this is what he told me happened to me. There is no way of telling if someone will have this or not. It could happen to anyone but at least i had great care in the hospital and they watched me very carefully and did everything possible to control my blood pressure and nausea..... I am feeling good now at six weeks out. I don't ever want to forget how i suffered to get to this point and will always use this new tool to lose all my weight so i can get healthy again. Hopefully when I lose 100 lbs i can get my knee replacement and get my life back finally...... :)

Thank you for responding so quickly! I'm so nervous and I look at my three little girls and the thought that there's a chance that I won't be here for them really scares me.

I'm happy that you're doing much better and good luck!!!

@RJ'S/beginning I am happy for those two that didn't have to suffer like I did. I only found out about this site after sugery. If i had know how bad i would have reacted to this surgery, I probably would not have done it though. good thing in a way that i suffered so much because now my motto is 'I didn't go through this for nothing' and it keeps me in compliance.

I don't know what all happened to you but i k now my post op experience was a nightmare. My daughter told me oh mom it couldn't have been worse than having four kids..... I said YES it most definitely was worse. At least after labor pains are over I always felt good afterwards and relieved and happy with a new baby..... My weight loss now will be like my 'newborn' self.... A new start.... A new beginning for me.

I wish I'd found this site sooner, it would have helped a lot...... Thanks...

Like you hun I look at this experience as something I paid dearly for and so therefore take it very seriously like you did. Having that kind of attitude will make you a screaming success story......

Who remembers the exact pain of labor eh when a brand new life enters the picture and she/ he is your blood and the best part of you...

That is how I see this surgery. A gift that gave me and still is giving me a chance at a better healthier life....

I am glad to hear you are off the BP pills.

I too was told that I had very little health problems. They called me a healthy fat person...oh thanks....Anyway....I was 1 in over 500 patients that had this...The only one that had these kinds of complications.....I am struck dumb at how this could have happened to me..But it did and I can't change that and hopefully we can educate those about the dangers and they will be better informed then we were. That is the wonder of this forum....

Your well on your way now!!! :)

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

Saying "don't ever believe what some people say here" kind of pisses me off. Are you calling those of us with no complications liars? I hope not. I had no issues at all. I never vomited, was able to walk around freely, and had very little pain. I am sorry you had issues, but not everyone does.

@magtart I am sorry that you took offense at my statement.... I should reword this in a better way Don't listen to everything you hear about the WLS because everyone reacts to surgery in a different way. It's personal. It's just hard for me to believe that anyone could come out of this without suffering is hard to comprehend. I still am having problems with eating. Today has been particularly rough...... I'm having trouble getting down cottage cheese even..... I'm six weeks post op today..... I will say this is keeping me compliant for sure....I couldn't cheat to save my life and I don't have any leaks or any other problems with the sleeve itself.... I had a great follow up appointment and the NP said I was doing great and hardly any scars at all..... The surgeon did a great job with the surgery..... It's just me and how I reacted to it. Again..... No offense intended and I am NOT calling anyone a liar. I just meant for people not to judge all the stories about non problematic symptoms after WLS with a grain of salt because everyone is different.... Sorry if you were offended.

yes, surgery is risky and people can and do have complications. my surgeon was very straight with me about all the possible outcomes. he was clear that bad things do sometimes happen and there simply isnt any way to know who will and wont have issues. no surgery should be gone into lightly. ever.

i had complications, it was about 5 weeks before i stopped being horribly nauseous. it was nine weeks before i really felt like i wasnt totally dragging ass. he told me it would be about 8 weeks and since i felt i was about two weeks behind everyone else with the same surgery dates, he was about right.

there are people who have very few issues and are back in the game in a few days. i was not. i recovered from my gall bladder surgery really quickly. this was a different deal.

i am glad you are feeling better now. and hang in there, i wasnt able to really get anything in here for at least 2 months, maybe more. i am amazed when i can eat 2 meatballs even now. i can barely eat an entire container of yogurt! i am nearly 8 months po.

Edited by moonlitestarbrite

I had a really rough go too, I got really sick from two of the meds they gave me. I puked a lot, couldn't eat anything. I thought they were crazy when they wanted me to walk around after a few hours, I was so dizzy I couldn't get past the door. I puked during the leak test from all the moving. During my stay I keep saying my back really hurt and asking if the bed could go down a little, they said no. This ended up giving me a pinched nerve that I'm still dealing with four weeks post op.

I feel the same way you do about not being fully warned. I knew about major risks but no one said "your going to be dizzy for the following four days to the point were you can't get out bed" even more annoying at my ten day weightloss center visit she said to me "oh I just saw someone would had surgery the same day as you, they feel great".... Your not alone.

I do think that this surgery is not for everyone. I was in shock post op as well but I bounced back much better than you did. I am sorry it was such a battle for you personally. I had more of the 'omg what did I do?' post op due to diet, the nausea and how I felt. I am fine, but at 6 months I sometimes experience incision pain and some days my pouch is so tight I can barely eat. I can eat in small doses though and am still learning how to control and yet work this crazy little pouch. I can see my old body coming back after starting exercise and I ordered a size 14 suit the other day and it fits like a glove-I was a 20/22. This is the reward, the complications and the eating changes are the risk. I still have not had a cheeseburger and fries since surgery almost 6 months ago....I don't think my body could handle it. I am so happy I did it, but the first 3 months were tough. Thanks for sharing your experience, I think it's good to go in knowing what you face after...