Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im just curious as to what I should expect and advice would be greatly appreciated :)

I didn't have a psych evaluation. My personal psychiatrist wrote the surgeon a letter stating that I am stable and can make my own decisions about surgery. If you are seeing a mental health professional, ask the surgeons office if you can get a letter from them. It will save you money and time. I am glad I did that, I didn't have to take the test or see their psychologist.

During my psych eval they pretty much asked about support from friends and family, lifestyle changes and your willingness to comply with them. They basically are just making sure you have the right mindset to move forward with this lifelong journey! Don't fret though, in sure things will be just fine!!

I had to take a few short written assessments. One was questions related to whether I understood what the surgery entailed and it's possible complications; one was about alcohol; one was about eating disorders. My appointment was only about 30 minutes.

I just had my Psychology appt scheduled. They told me to allow 3 hours. That seems like a very long time.

I went through mine a couple of months ago now. Actually two of them. One was for the doctor's office, one was the insurance requirement.

Essentially in both cases, the psychiatrist sat me down, asking about my history, my environment, my support system (aka friends/family), my habits, and whether or not I truly understood the life-changing nature of it all...

Even though my heart and mind are in the right place, I left feeling as though I had completely blown both because I life a thousand miles away from any friends or family, and I have terrible habits. That being said, I've got multiple "co-morbidities" and I've bounced up and down 75 pounds probably 3 times in the last three years, so I *know* and accept that life has to change.

Surprisingly, Tuesday I call the insurance to check on the status of the Approval, got an e-mail approval notice 5 minutes later, and 10 minutes after that, a call from my doctor's office to let me know I was being scheduled for April 2nd (2 weeks).

My point (sorry) is that if I can go through what I imagined to be 2 completely blown psych evals and come out fast-tracked, then it's really not a problem.

My suggestion would be to let the interviewer lead with the questions, listen carefully and weigh what she's saying, then give her the best, most honest answer you can. You could patronize her, but that may not be in your favor since the entire doctor's office will use that information to know what to look out for to help you be successful...

I'm now day four into my Liquid Protein diet (good shakes and Protein Bars, HORRID soup) and I'm equal parts gung-ho and terrified..

BTW, not that it matters, but My "last supper" was my favorite cheeseburger, fries, and 3 giant Cookies at the Alamo Drafthouse while watching the 300 sequel :)

Wayne

I had my eval a couple of weeks ago, took the 568 question evaluation and about 30 minutes with e actual doctor.No Problem. Doctor called me back to review his findings. I was given the go ahead. Faxed to the surgeon on Thursday so now I am waiting for my EGD and it can be submitted to the insurance company. For them the review takes about 7 days and hopefully approval is given. Praying for an April date. Good Luck to everyone!

Agree with above. The psych eval was nothing to worry about. Just a series of predetermined questions wanting to confirm you know what you are getting into and are prepared, as well your support system and goals. There ARE a lot of them but seriously nothing to worry about.

I would call this more of a "readiness" eval...it wasn't a psych eval. I think they just want to see if you have realistic expectations, and that you're willing to do your part.

I'm a little worried about this myself. I've been treated by a psych for about 8 years for depression. I called him hoping he would just say "ok - I'll send over the OK" but instead he insisted I get a prescription from my surgeon and he wants to do a complete evaluation. I've been stable on meds for all these years and I've been through a lot stresses (divorce, moving, lawsuit) and managed to keep it all together, so I can't imagine he'll say I'm not mentally sound enough for surgery. But I have spoken with him several times about losing weight and he's always said it's just a matter of willpower and that I just need to eat less and exercise more. So, I'm worried he might deny me just because he doesn't think surgery is a good answer, not that I'm not a good candidate.

Anyway -- I'm going to do that eval soon so that if he does deny me, I have time to see another psychiatrist who might approve. I'm just hoping it doesn't come to that.

Surgery planned for early June.

Ginger

<p>I'm a little worried about this myself. I've been treated by a psych for about 8 years for depression. I called him hoping he would just say "ok - I'll send over the OK" but instead he insisted I get a prescription from my surgeon and he wants to do a complete evaluation. I've been stable on meds for all these years and I've been through a lot stresses (divorce, moving, lawsuit) and managed to keep it all together, so I can't imagine he'll say I'm not mentally sound enough for surgery. But I have spoken with him several times about losing weight and he's always said it's just a matter of willpower and that I just need to eat less and exercise more. So, I'm worried he might deny me just because he doesn't think surgery is a good answer, not that I'm not a good candidate. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Anyway -- I'm going to do that eval soon so that if he does deny me, I have time to see another psychiatrist who might approve. I'm just hoping it doesn't come to that. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Surgery planned for early June.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ginger</p>

I too saw a therapist and psychiatrist for years... but I opted to see the surgeons in-house psychiatrist. I didn't bother to tell anyone about my past treatment (its not like they can look it up) Lo-and-behold I "passed" and had surgery 2 weeks ago. Really all they need to know is that you have realistic expectations and will be compliant with your new diet.

I go for my Psychologist appointment in the morning. I will post info on this when I return.

I go for my Psychologist appointment in the morning. I will post info on this when I return.

I understand ur nervousness. I just had mine done 2 days ago. I don't know the results but I was honest. I explained that I understand this is a tool and not a cure. I told her my changing of eating habits as well ad my weight lost. I have to go back for a computer generated test next Friday and that's it. I will post my results ad well but dont be nervous.

I am really not nervous but maybe I should be (lol) She scheduled me for everything the computer test and her evaluation at one time. I guess that is why she is saying it should take about 3 hours. Hopefully I will know if I am approved tomorrow. Then I have a sleep study on 4/28. Hopefully after that they should be able to apply for insurance. More info to follow.

I am really not nervous but maybe I should be (lol) She scheduled me for everything the computer test and her evaluation at one time. I guess that is why she is saying it should take about 3 hours. Hopefully I will know if I am approved tomorrow. Then I have a sleep study on 4/28. Hopefully after that they should be able to apply for insurance. More info to follow.

U will do fine. My sleep study not so good. Have to do 30 compliance with cpap. Surgery scheduled May 19th