Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

Hey everyone,

Like alot of you I am on the slow side of loosing also. I have been stalled now for 2 months. I have been trying to focus more on eating right and exercising and such.

I was walking on the treadmill yesterday (after running for over six minutes) thinking about this years journey. I am so very focused on the scales that I get real upset when they do not move. You know I have alot to be proud of, I have come a long way in the past year. I now workout 4-5 time a week and can wear size 8 pants. Yet I let the scales upset me.

This made me think, I am going to do myself a favor, give myself a gift. My one year date is May 2nd. I am going to put away my scales until that day. I am not going to weight myself at all until then. (I do go in for a fill this Fri so it will have to start then because the Doc will weight me) I am going to focus on eating right, working out, feeling good about myself. Anyone else with me? Banish the scales until your 1 year ann.?

You know if we had been on Weight Watchers for the past year we would be so very proud of ourselfs. First of all I have never stayed on WW for a year, or any diet for that matter. Second we would be struggling to keep the weight we had lost from coming back on.

Hang in there gang,

Laura

Well said, that is exactly how we should look at this journey. Look at how far each and every one of has come this past year. I certainly never thought I'd be happy shopping for bathing suits, or anything much for that matter. Like you, I have tended to go by the scale and sometimes get disappointed when it didn't move fast enough. But things have shifted and clothes are definitely smaller!!

Keep up the great work everyone, Laura, thanks for the reminder.

Cindy

Hey everyone,

Like alot of you I am on the slow side of loosing also. I have been stalled now for 2 months. I have been trying to focus more on eating right and exercising and such.

I was walking on the treadmill yesterday (after running for over six minutes) thinking about this years journey. I am so very focused on the scales that I get real upset when they do not move. You know I have alot to be proud of, I have come a long way in the past year. I now workout 4-5 time a week and can wear size 8 pants. Yet I let the scales upset me.

This made me think, I am going to do myself a favor, give myself a gift. My one year date is May 2nd. I am going to put away my scales until that day. I am not going to weight myself at all until then. (I do go in for a fill this Fri so it will have to start then because the Doc will weight me) I am going to focus on eating right, working out, feeling good about myself. Anyone else with me? Banish the scales until your 1 year ann.?

You know if we had been on Weight Watchers for the past year we would be so very proud of ourselfs. First of all I have never stayed on WW for a year, or any diet for that matter. Second we would be struggling to keep the weight we had lost from coming back on.

Hang in there gang,

Laura

Laura- I'm with you, my anniversary is on the 9th so i'm going to put away my scale until then because I get soooo upset when it doesn't move...i'm also committing to following the bandster rules to the "T" until then so I can see a change by my bandiversary! What a good idea, thanks!!! I'm also going to Vegas for a weekend right after my Bandiversary and I want to look goooooodddd, so this is a great time to committ to being a "good girl"....

You go Mischievous1. One day at a time, that is all you have to committ to is one day at a time. Heck sometime I take it one hour at a time....LOL. I have committed to going to the gym for 5 min. four day a week. Most days I just don't want to go, so I have a rule, I have to go for at least 5 min. I have yet to only stay that long, once I get there I stay for a hour or more. Funny I know, but I am trying to retrain this little fat child in me.

Hey, guess what, I did not weight myself this morning.......and I feel great about the day.

Had fill 2 (or 6) yesterday. Don't know yet if I have a decent restriction, as I was on liquids yesterday. Got to get back on track, I'm pushing 190 now, up from a low of 171 :confused:

edit: oh yeah, there's serious restriction. Going to have to relearn how to eat again. Hurrah! 6 cc in a 10 cc band, seems to be a good spot for me. Each time I pushed up to 7 before I had troubles.

Edited by Manatee

What were you doing this time last year?

I was looking at my calander and was looking back at 2007. I saw that last year at this time I was on the "Liver Shrinking" part of my journey, two shakes a day and 1 meal. It was just 2 weeks until my surgery. I was so excited, looking forward and hopeful.

This year did go by fast, and I am so excited about the years to come.

Laura

Laura,

Hello - Yes, this time last year we were all in the liver shrinking mode. If I remember correctly, I didn't have to do the liquid diet before the proceedure. Good thing because it was hard enough after the surgery!

Today I went in and had a fill. I have not had one since Nov 2007. Well, I mysteriously lost .25 of my fill. So he put it back in. I am at 3.25 again. He tried putting in enough to make it 3.5 but it was too tight, I couldn't even swallow tiny sips of water! I wghd in at 184...still two pds more than one month ago when I had my bladder surgery. But i was happy to see that I had lost two of the 4 that I had gained! Hopefully now I will be able to get into the 170's! I can't tell you how excited that will make me! Then the 160s..I think that is when I will really feel like I look skinny. I can't wait. Not complaining though. I look and feel so much better..still in my 14s couldn't be happier..much better than 18s!

Blessings..oh, and Manatee..hang in there..with your determination..you will get the wght off again real fast..your remarkable.

Weazer

Weazer...

Hang in there...you've done great through your surgury, and you are back on track...GOOD JOB!!!

It amazes me how "parallel" our journy has been. I'm at 3.3, at least I was at my last fill in november. I've been concidering another fill, but just when I'm about to schedule one my TOM comes and I struggle to eat anything, really gets tight. I'm just afraid that I wouldn't be able to get Water down at those times if I added any more fill. I really am at a sweet spot, I just need to use self control in the evenings. Night time eating has always been my evil, so the fact that the band is looser at night really stinks, I wish it were reversed!

I take time "off" when I go on vacation, and I always come back a few #'s up, but then I'm able to loose again. I've been plataued for 2 months, and just came back from vacation and am loosing again. I got home Sunday and since then have lost the 4#'s I gained plus one extra...yippee the scale is moving again!

Ssue

Sue,

I wish I could handle a bit more fill..when he put 3.5 in..the Water just would not go down..and my band was doing the squeeking and squeeling thing! But, it is a tad disconcerting to think that .25 of my fill dissapeared. I hope that doesnt mean that it will do that evertime. Now that I have changed insurances (since the surgery) my fills are not covered. They are 150.00 cash! Ouch!

You are so amazing...I am so astounded by your numbers..how did you do it..how did you loose over 100 lbs! Wow! I am so extremly happy for you! You seem like a really neat person, wish you lived in Texas! We could be exercise friends!

Blessings, Weazer

Weazer...

I've heard from alot of people that the saline in the band "evaporates" some as time goes. While you're still in big time loosing mode that's not such a good thing, but I think most need regular fills then anyway, at the stomach fat pads are shrinking. It might be a good thing for the fill to lessen at the end, as we want to settle into a new regular pattern of eating.

I have paid for all my fills (except the first). My doc is $125 a fill...really helps me stop and analyze if I really need a fill, or an adjustment in my diet. That's one thing I love about the band, it helps me be in control, but still makes me responsible for my choices. There's nothing "automatic" about this journey.

God Bless!

Sue

I'm also putting my scale away until my anniversary... 5/14.. I do have a weigh in on 5/5... but other than that... no weighing...and what happens...happens..

I admire those of you who can put your scales away. I guess it's part of my personallity that's a little obsessive. I'm working on not obsessing on food so much, but I just "need" to get on that scale every morning. I don't weight when I'm on vacation, but as soon as I get home I'm right back on the scale. I know they say to weigh weekly, but I figure it's better to obsess about the scale than about eating. I do still seem to think about food 24/7, but I crave bettter foods now that I've broken alot of my "addictions" (sugar, carbs...) and I'm so much more careful about approaching my daily diet with a plan.

More power to all you who can stay off the scale!

Sue

Sue-

I had the NEED to get on the scale every single day too...but I've had enough. Over the past couple of days I've realized something... I'm in a size 14. When I wore a size 14 about 7 or 8 years ago I weighed 168 lbs. I now weigh 212... WHAT GIVES?!?! Deep down I'm starting to feel that I DO want to weigh 150... but realistically, what size would I be in once I do reach 150? A zero??? I dont want to be a bag of bones! HAHA...

So, I'll be weighed in when I go for my appt. on 5/5... then I wont weigh again until my anniversary. If I reach my Memorial Day goal... then great... if not.. then try...try again!

Melissa,

I'm with you on the weight goal question. I think I'm going to just concentrate on what size I want to get down to, and not worry so much on the weight. I've noticed the same thing- that my size 14 now is heavier than it was years ago when I was this size. Not so sure why it works like that- but I'll take the size.

I was reading on this forum once, that a Dr. had stated when we gain SO much weight, and become obese or morbidly obese, our body counteracts that by adding muscle and bone to the lower body. This makes a lot of sense to me. I have no idea if we lose any of that (especially the bone) after losing weight, but if not, it might explain the higher weight. ?? Opinions anyone?