Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

Hi there May bansters, I was on your page reading all about your journey to band land. I was banded last Nov the day after turkey day. I am at the 6 mth mark now and couldn't be happier with my band. I know exactly what you newbies are going threw. You will only be sore for a couple of weeks I promise. Some of you might be battling with shoulder pain too. I know I had a lot in my left shoulder and it ached like arthritis especially when I would drink. I guess your nerve that is touched sends signals to your shoulder as a pain.....it is weird. I wanted to say to you guys that you are all amazing and you guys have reminded me how excited I was once I finally had it done and over with. You are scared but excited. I have had two fills so far and lost 35 and 50 to go. I am at a platue for about 5 weeks now and that is frustrating but I just am trying to focus and exercise as much as I can. I don't know if any of you are Orange County, CA locals but I am setting up a meet up at Downtown Disney in Anaheim on June 10th if any of you are interested you can sent me a private message and give me your email address. If anyone has any questions let me know. Truely the only support I get is from this site because I haven't told too many people that I had the Band done. I hope you guys feel better soon. The best thing to do is to walk around as much as you can. Good luck to you May Bansters....................YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:( :heh:

Hello all:

My surgery is next Friday the 25th and I'm getting REALLY nervous. My stomach is literally in knots to the point where I feel nausiated. It started last night. I know I've made the right decision but I've never had surgery before and don't know how my body will react to all of this. My dh asked me if I was nervous or excited this morning and I didn't know what to say. I have mixed feelings. Oh well, guess this will pass somehow.

Sjimimi, glad things are going so well for you. Like everyone is saying, each day gets better. Vikki, thanks for the nice words, it's always nice to hear from someone who's been there!!

Talked to my surgeon today and I'm happy to say that my being so extremely tired is "normal". I was really getting worried as I would break into a sweat if I was up and about for long. I was banded on the 10th and on a liquid diet for 10 days pre op, and supposed to be on a liquid diet for two weeks post op. He said I was weak and tired because of the fast weight loss (21 lbs since 5/01); and said to add scrambled eggs and oatmeal to my diet. YAY!!! Never thought I would be so excited. He also said I could start my chewable vitamins early (supposed to be next week). It was nice to hear it from you all that I was feeling normal, but just hearing it from the doc makes me really relax now. Hope everyone has a nice weekend and hope the weather is better where you are (pouring and cold here).

Cindy

Hi Weightingtolose,

I'm getting my band the day before you. I know it's a little scary about the surgery, especially if you have never had surgery, but it's really not as bad as you are thinking. First of all, you won't feel or remember anything during the surgery and from all I have read here, the pain afterward seems quite manageable. Just keep your eye on the prize and stay focused on the great things are about to happen to you. Stay in touch with this a-May-zing group of people. We are all here to pull you through!

Good Luck to everyone being banded on Monday!

Vicki--thank you for your words of encouragement!! There are times whenever that 'will I fail' thought enters my head and it's nice to receive positive support that this WILL work!

Amy

Another cool find! I am so sure this is going to be my best friend after surgery. Found it at my favorite hang-out Wal-mart. It's a shaved ice maker. Rival $24.96. It makes the perfect fluffy shaved ice. A little crystal light or juice poured over the ice and it is the best crunchy, sink your teeth in, won't kill you, allowable fun you can have during the fun and festive liquid stage.

Hi folks,

I was banded on Wednesday and thought I'd drop in and let everyone know how it went. We must be a really talkative group, because it took me forever to go through only 2 days of messages!

Anyway, my surgery was scheduled for 3:00 PM Wednesday, and by Wednesday morning I was over my craziness and just excited to get it done. I didn't get into surgery until almost 4:30 and nobody came to us and told us why we weren't going into surgery. Finally a nurse came over and told us I'd be going in soon. So I never found out what the delay was. My dh asked the doctor and the doctor said he didn't know either, they just told him he had to wait 1.5 hours for a surgery room! Anyway, surgery went well, no complications. The night nurse and aid were horrible, and didn't seem to care about explaining anything! Both my dh and I were amazed at how bad they were. (There's a lot more to this tale but I won't bother to go on about it) Thursday morning went OK. I wasn't naseated because they put something in my drip to prevent it. The day nurses were absolutely GREAT! and I have nothing but praise for them, but I have to wonder about a hospital that didn't have blankets for the bed because the clean linens hadn't been delivered, so they just put several sheets on the bed for warmth! The upper GI went fine, and we got out of there as fast as we could. It was great to get home and in my own nightgown and bathrobe. Pain is doing OK because of the liquid vicodin, not too many gas pains and they are improving because I'm moving around a bit more. I had a bad headache and discovered that it was a sinus headache! After that was all cleared out I haven't had any more headaches. I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to get all the Protein in, but I imagine as I feel better I won't sleep as much and I'll be able to get more in. The beneprotein the doctor told me to buy is horrible, so I'll have to see if it can be disguised in the Protein Drinks. Otherwise I feel like I am on the slow mend, and can't wait till I feel a bit better. Good luck to everyone still waiting to be banded. I feel it was worth it and look forward to a life not hindered by my excess weight!

I'm getting sleepy now - time for lay down. BTW, no incisions on my right side, so I can lay on my right side on the couch and have it support my back - it's great!

Keiko

Hello May-folk,

I am on post op day 4 and the most challanging thing is finding a comfortable sleeping place. I don't own a recliner, so without that option I have been rolling up quilts and sleeping on the side of the couch with lots of pillow to support my incisions. About every 3 hours I need to move. Because my head isn't kind of elevated my shoulders have been hurting alot, and thats where that heating pad comes in handy as well as the ice pack. It really does get better day by day. Today is also the first day that my incisions are starting to ITCH. I guess I'm on the mend. How is everybody else doing that had surgery this week?

Sorry to hear that you do not have a recliner. I have relied on mine for a couple days now. But, I was going to tell you, yes, I have the itching too. Doc says its because I am healing. Either way, it sucks, I want to scratch so bad.

Did anyone have bruising around their incisions? I have a major bruise on my port incision, and it had me concerned. If you have delt with this, please let me know so that I know that I am not going crazy! Thanks.

Hi mannamay,

I have a horrible bruise in and around the incision in my belly button. The others are lightly bruised, and the one where my port is has no bruise at all, but wowsers, my belly button looks like I have been beaten up or something. I also have a huge bruise on my forearm from my IV site. The stuck me three times to get it and the one stick that was actually good is almost as bruised as my belly button!

PS...my incisions are getting itchy too...at least we know we are healing!!

Let me try this again - I hit a funny button.

I am 1 week into a 10 day pre op diet for lap band surgery on the 22nd of May at St Francis in Washington. My name is Laura and I am seeinkg Dr. Srikanth. All of your posts so far (I am on page 37ish) right now have really helped me through my journey.

If the monthly list is still there can you add me to it? I am really looking forward to my surgery on Tuesday. I have struggled with the liquid diet, but I have to say so far I have had one slip, a hot dog w/no bun,. Your posts helped me tremendously. I am not throught the woods yet though as I have until Tuesday. Then of course everything afterwards. I have already gotten all my meds, packing my bag this weekend so I am ready to go on the 2nd. I can't wait to keep reading all your posts to see how everyone is doing and should catch up by this weekend.

My starting BMI is 37

My goal BMI is 23

HW 193

SW 193

CW 182.8

GW 115

I am only 5' tall.....

I look forward to talking with all of you!

Warmest regards,

LJUHT115

Hey guys, I am home! Surgery at noon Thursday. Worst part yesterday was lightheadedness from the anesthesia. Getting up was way easier than I thought. Today I was a little more sore around the incisions. Got home at 12:30pm today. Car ride was a little rough. Pain meds working. Feels good to be in my own bed. All in all, better than I expected. A bruise from IV, and on my stomach from heprin shots. A few leaking incisions. Way easier than my c-sections. I was blessed with great staff at the hospital! I hope my fellow 17th buddies are doing as well!

Congrats to all who are doing so well. I am so happy for you! I am two weeks post-op and down 14lbs. I know it will start slowing down from here. I went out to eat with my husband tonight, and had another "fat" experience! You know when you have to ask for a table becase you cannot fit in the booth!!! I was embarrassed at first, but then two other people had to ask to be moved from the same booth, so I felt better!

I really have not had to be at work full time the past two weeks and I have really enjoyed it. I have been taking naps! I will be tired next week when it is back to full time!!

To those of you who have cheated, YOU are HUMAN! I tried ground beef tonight and didn't have any problems. I have been chewing and chewing and chewing some more with everything I try.

Have a great weekend!

Twinmommy, I got home about 12:30p as well. Sore is about all I feel. trying to get the 2 oz of fluids an hour. Thought I would never say this, but it's hard. I am not hungery nor want anything. I helped feed the kids tonight and I didn't even want a nibble while preparing thier food. I thought it would be hard, but it wasn't. I'm drinking 'Natural' apple juice and chicken broth.

How are you doing with the liquids? How is the gas pains? Are you up and walking?

I had 3 C- Sections and this was easier than that. My staff was good as well and my Dr... Awesome. Day after, I would do this again.

Going to take some meds and head to bed. Got a 9a Hockey game for my son tomorrow. Good Night May Bandsters.

Hi May bansters, i got bumped up today. I'll be banded on the 24th instead of the 29th (at my request). It's going to work perfectly with the families schedule and the long weekend to recover. I'm really happy to have 5 fewer days to wait...just want to get on with it!!!

All you new bandsters take good care of yourselves!

Well, It is done! I am banded!!! Friday 18th at 1:00, got home around 5:00, felt amazing took the dog for a walk. I feel weird because I feel so good??? Not muchpain at all (hope I am not speaking too soon), no gas, no neausea????

Good luck to everyone!