Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys! I'm back again with another topic. lol

Anyways, quick question.

Did you put anything on your incisions in order to reduce the long term scarring? I had read on the internet that a lot of people made sure to keep their wounds covered with petroleum jelly/neosporin, and the ones that did keep their wounds covered had minimal scarring.

I asked my doctor about it yesterday, and he said that Neosporin wouldn't help until my steri-strips were gone, and he gave me the go ahead to remove them 5 days after surgery... then add neosporin if I wanted to.

However, on my way out, my nurse told me to not put anything on my wounds until they are scabbed over and healed. She was very serious about this, and very condescending about it... Or maybe I took it that way, because she just contradicted everything my doctor said. Also, she said not to "worry about minimizing the scars." and that I "wasn't wearing a bikini before the surgery, why would I be wearing one after?"

I was irked at that comment, but I bit my tongue... she was removing a needle from my arm. lol I was vulnerable. I just thought that was rude.. Um. Before I gained all of this damn weight, I was in a bikini. Ugh. Also, I am irked that doctors and nurses never seem to effectively communicate orders.

Anyways, my question is did anybody put stuff on their incisions? If they did: How soon after surgery? What did you put on there? For how long? Did you have to remove your steri-strips?

Thanks in advance beautiful people! : )

Edited by fghtffyrdmns

Thanks for starting this topic. I am interested in seeing the responses.

After the glue or whatever it is that's on your incision after surgery fell off (took like 2 weeks for me) I've started using mederma scar gel alternating with silicone scar strips. My scars always have something working on them. Not sure of how much it's helping because I'm only alittle over a month out from surgery.

I'm very annoyed by the bikini comment too!!

The scars usually fade over time to where they're barely visible. If the surgeon told you you could do it that way, then go ahead.

Why would she say something so crazy. How does she know. I would purposely go to the office when your have accomplished your goal with a bikini on.

Tell your surgeon what she said. Everyone in that office should be your advocate and not do or say anything that's unkind, hurtful, or mean. He/she needs to have a discussion with the nurse to 're-educate' her. That comment was totally uncalled for.

I occasionally use Vitamin E oil. Trader Joe's makes one that's inexpensive and not too sticky. My husband had a big scar -- 18" abdominal for a back surgery -- and we got on to the vitamin E for that. Has healed nicely. My own scars are so tiny -- more like a little scratch, really. Good luck to you, and you'll look amazing in your it's bitsy teeny weeny bikini or whatever you want to wear. I'm with GoWalking, let the surgeon know. I hate it when nurses and nutritionists contradict the surgeon. It is not okay.

Well, the nurse wasn't employed by my surgeon... She worked for the hospital I had to stay in. However, I am definitely going to be writing a review on the hospital, and I will be sure to mention that.

Overall though, I had about 11 people keeping a watch on me.. And only 2 of them did I have any complaints about. So, it was a great hospital stay.

The other nurse asked me how much I had been drinking and I said about 8 oz per hour.. Which seemed to confuse her, and before she left she turned to me and held up a 1 oz cup and said to "be sure you are getting at least one of these for every hour you are awake" ... Did she miss the part where I just said I drink 8/hr? Lol

Anyways. Thanks for the responses and encouragement lovelies!! : )

Well I started putting neosporin on them. Neosporin always works wells with cuts, scars etc. so I didn't think it will be any harm.

Yeah. I just put neosporin on mine.. He said to wait 5 days and take my steri strips off... But they have already started to come off, and some of my incisions aren't covered. So, neosporin to the rescue!