Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need to get my first adjustment and I'm uncomfortable with needles, does it hurt? What should I expect? Any residual pain? Also typically how much is put into a first adjust if anyone knows?

You will do just fine! This is coming from somone who feels the EXACT same way you do about needles!!!! BUT i went in for my first fill and was all worked up and nervous and it was like a little bee sting literally the Dr. was giving me a hand up and I was like what's wrong and he said nothing you're all done. You feel a small sting some pressure and then hear a click and you're done. It really is very simple. You will do great just remember to breath:-)!!

Edited by enjoythetime

Well most all times it burned like a little bee sting when inserting but that's all. After that, no pain at all. The last time I hardly felt it. It all depends on how good the nurse is injecting the needle. Actually, I think it's pretty cool that they can excess my port like that.

I need to get my first adjustment and I'm uncomfortable with needles, does it hurt? What should I expect? Any residual pain? Also typically how much is put into a first adjust if anyone knows?

wow, you have lost the weight fast! Are you eating healthy? I lost 100 lbs. my first 6 months. I was going by the rules but looking back, I don't think I was getting enough food. I still don't believe 1/2 cup is enough. The first 2 years I was so tired with no energy at all. How are you feeling. I had them take some Fluid out so I could eat more to gain some energy. I did gain a few lbs, but started to feel better and had energy instead of laying on the couch every minute when home.

You will do just fine! This is coming from somone who feels the EXACT same way you do about needles!!!! BUT i went in for my first fill and was all worked up and nervous and it was like a little bee sting literally the Dr. was giving me a hand up and I was like what's wrong and he said nothing you're all done. You feel a small sting some pressure and then hear a click and you're done. It really is very simple. You will do great just remember to breath:-)!!

If you have lost that much since surgery they may not give you a fill. Usually you only get a fill if you have stopped losing weight, are hungry all the time or foraging for food. If none of these exist then I would say no to the fill.

Cheryl, I think Lumpy was commenting on Enjoy's weight loss not mine. I do believe I have met all the criteria that you mentioned for needing a fill. So does anyone know how much is put in the first fill? Is it a standard amount or is based on the person????

wow, you have lost the weight fast! Are you eating healthy? I lost 100 lbs. my first 6 months. I was going by the rules but looking back, I don't think I was getting enough food. I still don't believe 1/2 cup is enough. The first 2 years I was so tired with no energy at all. How are you feeling. I had them take some Fluid out so I could eat more to gain some energy. I did gain a few lbs, but started to feel better and had energy instead of laying on the couch every minute when home.

Yes I'm doing everything by my dr.s instructions and I feel great!! I make healthy choices and consume about 1200 cal per day and have only had 2 fills and that was early in my journey. I eat lean Protein veggies and limit grain based carbs and very little fruit. I'm eating 3-4 oz if Protein plus 1/2 cup veggies and I've not been sick, got slightly stuck once when i attempted to eat a fry, which i didnt need anyway;) so my restriction is perfect, I'm right where I need to be. Great job on your success you've done very well!!

Cheryl, I think Lumpy was commenting on Enjoy's weight loss not mine. I do believe I have met all the criteria that you mentioned for needing a fill. So does anyone know how much is put in the first fill? Is it a standard amount or is based on the person????

The amount of fill varies from person to person because were all different. It also varies because some docs put Fluid in the band during surgery.

it is the doctor's decision. all doctor's are different. some are conservative and some are more aggressive. it also depends on the size of your band. it is harder but better to be on the conservative side. this gives you a chance on learning and getting used to your new size in the band without having to go in and have a unfill. good luck I wanted to add that my fills did not hurt one bit.

I was worried for my first fill back in Dec (I've since had two more) and it went really well. My doc actually went into the incision spot and it didn't hurt at all for me - and he also extracted any Fluid that was in there first, then he filled me with 4cc's - he said his approach is 4 then 2 and then after the he lets the band signal how much to put in, in other words, when he injected me the 3rd time (I still had little restriction) he inserted the first cc as we watched the push back in the syringe - he gave me another 1.5 b/c the resistance to the saline going in. I was much more restricted immediately - which was good - i learned not to eat mindlessly - each bite I take now has to be a conscious event.

I'm still not in the green zone - I definitely feel more restriction this time around - it's been on month exactly but I believe I need another fill - I'm still able to eat an entire chicken breast at a sitting - that's the question doc asks everytime he sees me.

I put a pair of jeans on that I haven't worn in nearly 2 years and could barely wear them then - I've worn them all day in comfort.

of course - this is my experience, opinion and journey - we all travel differently but do have a very profound tool :)

Yes, happy with the band albeit, like family, can piss you off - the results however are happening - for me :)

peace

I have had 3 fills. First one was 1/2 cc, then 1 cc, than another 1 cc.

Thank you everyone for your input