Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Orientation meeting freaked me out!

So I went to the four-hour Kaiser Richmond orientation meeting and it left me feeling pretty freaked out. And I guess it should - this surgery should not be undertaken lightly. But what scared more than the thought of having a foriegn body surgically inserted was the thought of giving up my old buddy food. Food...such a steadfast friend. Always there for me. Always comforting.

So now I am worried that I am not a good candidate. I'm afraid I will abuse the tool so I don't have to break up with my good friend. I am having a lot of stress just thinking about the *pre-op* diet! I am worried that I cannot do this and I will be miserable. And maybe (probably?) I am a food addict, destined to a life sentence in food-jail*.

Anyone else ever felt this way? How did you fare?

Tracy

*Thanks for the new term, Bandista :)

Edited by Cairobat

So I went to the four-hour Kaiser Richmond orientation meeting and it left me feeling pretty freaked out. And I guess it should - this surgery should not be undertaken lightly. But what scared more than the thought of having a foriegn body surgically inserted was the thought of giving up my old buddy food. Food...such a steadfast friend. Always there for me. Always comforting.

So now I am worried that I am not a good candidate. That I will abuse the tool so I don't have to break up with my good friend. I will let the psychiatrist do his job and determine that for me for certain, but still I am having a lot of stress even just thinking about the *pre-op* diet! I am worried that I cannot do this and I will be miserable. And maybe (probably?) I am a food addict, destined to a life sentence in food-jail*.

Anyone else ever felt this way? How did you fare?

Tracy

*Thanks for the new term, Bandista :)

You should get the surgery and don't worry about old friend food. If you don't get the surgery think of the alternative?

I know I am a food junkie I was over 300 pd. I like seeing the scale go down. It is all attitude you know. Tell old man food he is not going to kill you this year.

I'd heard of the idea that food can be a best fried...there in good times and bad....but I didn't fully grasp the concept until I was diagnosed with diabetes (years before my band).

When I realized I was going to have to give up certain foods, I cried. Stood in my kitchen and cried, cried, cried. Over food.

It sounds a little bit crazy (and maybe it was), but my point is that it's ok to mourn the loss of your good buddy. To admit you're going to miss some things, to cry a few tears....and then clean yourself up and make a decision about what you're going to do about getting healthy.

xox

Best wishes on your decision. I guess a 4 hour orientation would scare me too! Anyway, a good nutritionist can guide your food choices. Most doctors have you see a psychologist too, that person can help you talk thru your food addictions.

I hear people talking about this "Foreign Body" fear and the lap band, and it just doesn't make sense. I have had two complete knee replacements, never heard anybody freaked out about those foreign bodies. People have pins put in when they break a bone, no one complains about those. Got a friend with a pacemaker he is just happy to be alive. I am 65 pounds lighter than a year ago, I have dropped 12 inches off of my waist, I buy slim cut clothing, I don't get out of breath climbing the stairs and it is going to get better as I enter the second year.

I thank God for the foreign body wrapped around my stomach, it has improved my quality of life. Want to be afraid? Be afraid of doing nothing. By this time next year, I will have lost even more weight, where will you be if you do nothing?

Your old food friend has made your life miserable. So why would you not want it to be in jail? Your whole life revolves around food instead of living. Don't you think its time to get your life back and think how bad your food friend has treated you all these years.

I was going to say something but everyone said exactly what I was going to say :P jk

The fear of not being able to eat the foods that gave me comfort held me back for about 2 years. I never cried over it but those fears kept me from pulling the trigger sooner.

But like inchik said, you don't have to give up those foods(unless it's sugary pop and ice cream). Still, you can have those foods but in much much smaller quantities.

I always like this quote from Pinkdahlia: "I'm so stinkin' thrilled with my weight loss i dont even care about what i cant eat!"

And she's so right. Once I got the fill that started my journey, I could care less what foods I shouldn't eat. And, moreover, those foods no longer gave me comfort, my own personal confidence is what gives me comfort. And confidence sticks with you much longer than food ever will.

tmf

Cairobat, I've felt the same way many times over the years I've considered this surgery. I went to orientation meetings twice, even talked to doctors and then backed off. This time I'm further down the road than ever before. I've been recording my food and having monthly weigh-ins since Nov. to qualify for the insurance requirements. My tentative surgery date is May 20. On bad days I think about how scared I will be to not be able to soothe myself with food like I've done all my life.

But the others are right. Food has been a false friend. It's destroyed my health and my appearance and robbed me of so much that I could have had. I think of all the sports and activities I could never do with my friends and kids. All the guys who never gave me a second look because I was so sloppy fat. All the times I was too tired to do what I wanted to do, working, shopping, having fun. How many times was I embarrassed in a public place where only flimsy little chairs were available and I worried they wouldn't hold me? I remember going to a concert and realizing the seats were just 17" and when I squashed myself in, It was obvious I overflowed badly. It was humiliating.

Does a true friend cause any of those problems for you?

I'm not in a position to talk about my success yet, but I'm trying to change my outlook. I hope you will consider what you hear from the people here and choose to have a better life.

I live on the 3rd floor of my apartment complex. I had bags in my hand. When I finally made it in the house I was winded and tired. I had to sit a few moments to catch my breath. I sat there and looks at myself and became sad. At one time I was an aerobics teacher and now I can barely get thru and class. Yes,surgery scares me, being able to not eat certain things is disheartening. Today only made me realize my decision is the best one I could have ever made. At 40, single (me and my boyfriend broke up yesterday) and no kids in the home I want my life back. I want to dance,hike,run and start teaching again. I have never jade this many health problems as I do now. I look forward to Thursday. I went shopping today and for a fee things to have after surgery. I will go again Wednesday night to make sure I can make it till Monday.

Trust me - food is not your friend. You think it is & I've thought it was too. I love love love food! But before I had my lapband, I would eat and gorge & binge my way to 250 pounds - wth?

These orientations are important and I'm not knocking them at all - you should know that you are changing your entire lifestyle and you are, but this is manageable. It really is, I am able to eat good food, but I did have to change the way that I eat. I have to diary my food, I can't chew gum, I can't drink carbonated drinks. I have to eat a lot more Protein. I have to exercise. You just have to be good to yourself.

Trust me - the weight loss is so much more better than the food!

Wow, very motivating! My surgery is this Tuesday, and I have said good-bye to food. My love affair has ended. It doesn't mean that I won't pine for certain things later, but I start Clear liquids at midnight, and then I'm wheeled in Tuesday morning. what I'm ready for is to start my life again. I'm ready to shop in stores in other areas than the "plus size." I'm ready to go to aerobics classes and not be the biggest person. I'm ready to be GOOD to my body. The lap band is going to be the tool I need to truly end the love affair with food. No, it's not a magic pill. Yes, it will take hard work and sacrifice. But I have never been so excited and so ready for what my future holds.

You know what it's called? HOPE.

I have hope.

Whether or not you have WLS you might consider a few sessions with a therapist. I encourage you not to go thru life being comforted by food. You are worthy of being the best possible you.

Best of luck!

Jaybro- I wish you could read some of my earlier posts- I felt the same way! You have great motivation and we will all be rooting for you & everyone else on here! Almost everyone tries to support & encourage each other, because we all need it at times as well!

I went to the orientation February 27th In San Diego. While I have been working up to the surgery for over two years, talking to my previous doctors, reading anything I could find, watching videos, talking to friends, I was well educated. I was still overwhelmed. I have completed all my labs and have my appointment with the Doctor at Options tonight at 7pm. I know this is what I want and what I need, but I also have slowly began to mourn some of my comfort foods and mentally trying to get ready for life without them. Attitude is everything, and if mine sucks then so will my outlook and fear will win. I won’t let it, it has already stolen so much of my life. I know I will find comfort new things, and I can’t wait to welcome back old comforts like swimming. I know the program is overwhelming but I am confident the process Kaiser makes you go thru will help me be prepared.