Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you find its physically easier to eat garbage?

I can't vote on this...I was only banded on 4/6/07, but I have not put one bite of anything sweet in my mouth since I started this journey...I try to eat only healthy foods...protein is my main focus....I want to get the right amount everyday.....I eat my dairy products and veggies...

I am unfilled right now for another week, but normally prior to the unfill I could eat anything except eggs, hot dogs, and fast food. I could eat Pasta, bread, rice, sushi, chips, you name it. I try to have a diet full of variety with healthy foods as well as treats. Hopefully when I get 1cc back in next week, I will still be able to eat everything just as before.

It's when you can't swallow anything and you start producing large amounts of thick saliva...you have to keep spitting it out cause swallow it will just hurt more.

Hi all --

I've foolishly been trying to sort this out on my own. I too find some junk (i.e., ice cream) consistently easier to eat than healthy foods. The problem is, sometimes I can eat smaller, but normal meals, and sometimes I can't. And I never know until I get swallow my first bite. I have sorted out a few patterns, but sometimes it's a total crap shoot (no pun intended). I have a hard time in the AM with anything and am limited to Protein shakes. If I wait to eat until 2 or 3 pm, I can generally have a small portion of something (no sandwiches though) -- it just takes me a good long time to get it down. I find I have to have sauces on anything I eat -- otherwise it's a disaster. Enchiladas generally work for me. And I'd be lost w/o cottage cheese and veggies (cut really small). Generally speaking, I can have one solid meal per day. Anything more than that and I pay the price.

Like most of us, eating for me is an emotional response to a trigger. And my trigger is anything that makes me feel not in control. So when I can't eat normal food, I immediately crave ANY food. It's part hunger desparation and part control-freak. So lately I've had a pint of ice cream in my freezer, just in case. I'd rather not have it, but the fear of not being able to eat anything is pretty overwhelming at times.

I was banded 10 weeks ago and I have had one fill. I have not had any problems eating anything! I have never gotten sick. I wonder if I need another fill. I would like some restriction! The Doctor says I have 9 cc's in and the band holds 10 cc's. Any thoughts?

I too did the slime thing this evening and have done a couple of times before. I guess I was full and did not pay attention... Is the fast burping a sign that I am full? That PBing is really painful. I do not want to do that again. I seem to live on cottage cheese, yogurt, refried Beans and Soup. Still losing weight though. I am worried that I am not getting enough Protein. Any ideas??

I too have problems eating as much Protein as I should. Drinking causes nausea. Before my 2nd fill I was drinking 5 16oz. bottles of Water. Now Iam lucky to have 1 a day. Don't get me wrong, Iam thrilled to have so much restriction, but I worry about weather I will stay healthy like this.

lap sur. 1/23/07

Until I got my second fill I had absolutely no restriction. I told this to the dr. and fot my fill and finally felt the difference. Before this, I finally had pizza and ate 2 pieces and could have eaten more. Telling the dr. this made her realize I needed more of a fill. I'm now enjoying this.

:eek:I have a silly question... What is pbing? I guess it must be throwing up?

PBing is productive burping. I find it more inconvenient than painful. However, I HATE the power barf when you really get something stuck. Now THAT's painful. I've been banded for just over a year now and have had 4 fills. I believe I'm up to 3 cc in a 4 cc band. I wouldn't want anymore restriction -- somedays I can count on one solid meal per day. And any solid meal takes at least an hour to eat. I'm hoping this is normal. Up till about 2 months ago, I could eat just about anything -- now cottage cheese and Protein shakes are my best friends. Ice cream is too, but I'm getting pretty tired of eating that out of desparation (never thought I'd say that).

:hungry:As for a Protein shake, I LOVE this one (from Eating Well magazine) --

1/2 c silken tofu

1/2 c milk (soy or other)

2 T unsweetened cocoa

1 T honey

1 banana cut into 4-5 small pieces and frozen

Blend until smooth. I think it's around 300 calories, but it takes me at least 30-45 minutes to drink it down and keeps me full until 2-3 pm. Plus it's loaded with Protein and potassium. I'm also a big fan of Go Lean chocolate shake -- again, the calories are high, but it's thicker than most shakes and contains 24 g of protein (if memory serves). I figure that as long as a shake truly counts as a meal and keeps you satisfied until lunch or dinner, it's better than eating ice cream.

When you say you may get one solid meal a day, does that mean you are unable to get anything else down or you just don't feel like eating any more? I am curious because I have never had that experience. I have had one fill and I am a little discouraged because I don't feel any resriction. I am 3 months post op. and have lost 28 lbs. but only because I am trying to be good, but I am starving all the time.

Both, actually. I could go all day on one solid meal, but I get hunger pains (or dizzy), and I know I need to eat something -- even if it's a Protein Shake. I'd bet you have a couple more fills before you get to a point that you're not physically hungry. Head hunger is something else entirely.

I have frequent problems with "first bite syndrome". I have to really careful of any food the first few hours i'm awake. On the average, its always much much more difficult for me to get DRY meats, most raw vegetables, and ANY type of bread to go down, these will always get stuck, no matter how tiny the bite or how many times I chew.

I have to moisten most of my Proteins with mayo, salad dressings or bbq sauces or I wll choke, cough, gag and pb every time.

If its moist, I really try to eat my Protein first.

Evening Snacks continue to be a weakness for me...

UNFORTUNATELY....... I've never met a bowl of ice cream or a pringle potato chip that my band didn't like.

I have wondered why these "bad" foods go down just fine.

(my 2 secret weaknesses). I try to stay away from them as much as possible.

It's weird that crunchy foods do go down like there is no band. I can eat Protein Bars, soy crisps, and Kashi Go Lean Cereal like I don't have a band at all. I couldn't believe I get stuck on egg salad, or tuna salad. It must plug up the opening.