Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Military hospital sleeve advise

Hello, I am hoping to find other people who've had surgery at a military hospital, such as a Walter Reed in Bethesda, MD or any other. And what your experience was. Names of surgeons , etc

I haven't had mine yet but I'm scheduled for RNY Feb 20 at Walter Reed with Dr. Whorlton. I might be able to answer some pre-op type questions for you.

Hi, thank you for your reply. Would you mind filling me in on what were all the steps you had to do before getting approved? And how long did it take, also how long was the entire process until you got your surgery date. Thank you... Shari

I had my sleeve by Dr. Mann at Portsmouth navel medical center. He was wonderful. The process for me was easy. I talked to my PCM and they put in a referral for Bariatric surgery. Once That was approved the clinic set me up for their seminar. After that it was lab work, EKG, lung X-ray, and colonoscopy. After that I got my appointment with the surgeon. He decided that I was a good candidate and sent me to the psych and nutritionist. Once they signed off all I had to do was wait for a date. The one major rule this clinic has is to not gain even one pound or I would have to go on hold for 6 months and show I was committed by loosing that weight. All in all it took me from sept to feb. It was a good experience throughout. I am now 10 days post-op and feel good. Hope this helps.

I actually think it's easier to get approved by the military than civilian insurance from what I have been reading and what my coworkers have to go through. Good luck

Hi, thank you for your reply. Would you mind filling me in on what were all the steps you had to do before getting approved? And how long did it take, also how long was the entire process until you got your surgery date. Thank you... Shari

Sure. It's very similar to what was described for Portsmouth. Last Aug, I got my PCM to refer me to WR bariatric program. Sept I went to orientation class. Like Portsmouth, you have to do labs, EKG, sleep study to determine if you have sleep apnea, and colonoscopy (if you fall into a certain category only). I also had to meet with a dietician every four weeks. She signs you off for surgery after 3 meetings but you have to continue to see her. I did one meeting with an exercise physiologist and one with a psychiatrist. We were also required to go to five WLS support group meetings. You also had to lose a minimum of 10 lbs and keep it off. All of this had to be done before we could get an appt to see the surgeon. After that they put you on the list for surgery and they schedule you first come first serve as surgery times open up. I saw the surgical resident back at the beginning of Dec. I got lucky and they were able to put me in for surgery this Feb. They also make you do a 2 week liquid diet pre-op, which has been very difficult for me so far.

Hi.. Thanks so much for the info , the only thing I didn't catch is do I have to do all of those things before even getting approved and who tells me I'm approved.

Hi.. Thanks so much for the info , the only thing I didn't catch is do I have to do all of those things before even getting approved and who tells me I'm approved.

You have to do everything before they will approve you. The surgeon looks over you records and meets with you one on one AFTER you complete the preop list requirements. If you haven't completed the list, they won't meet with you. Apparently there are a lot of patients who go to the orientation but never complete the preop list. I guess it's there way of making sure you are committed.

Pattyt ok it's all making more sense now

You have all been so helpful

I thank you all very much

I feel like I can't wait I'm too excited and nervous just the same! Love to keep in touch w you all and see how you all are doing

That is the way it was for me. They will give you a list of things to complete before seeing the surgeon. After that it is pretty easy.