Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the Mississippi Sleevers?

Where are all the Mississippi Sleevers? It seems the other areas have a more active "local support group". Anybody around that wants to go through this process with another Mississippian? I am scheduled for surgery on February 10th in Jackson.

They're all making snow/sleet balls! :blink:

Not in MS, however if I throw a baseball really hard, it'll almost reach Hancock County! LOL

We're in Slidell...south of Picayune and west of Bay St. Louis...right smack in the middle of a frozen tundra at this time! :D

Oh yeah Who Dat, we are frozen where I am too. Had a beautiful snow today. Too bad I had to work. Since you are very close to Picayune, I am going to consider you a Mississippian. To the rest of the country they lump Ms,LA, Al, and Ark all into one anyway. LOL. We can be the southern fried sleevers with a gumbo kick. We can show em how southern pride loses weight.

We got lots of sleet, very few flurries (Wet, none of the pretty stuff!), but my wife, son and daughter made the best of it...a sleetman!

Regarding the southern fried sleevers with a gumbo kick...you got it! :lol:

My surgery was May 8, 2013 and my wife's was July 8, 2013. My surgery, recovery and journey have been textbook. My wife had two hernias repaired, unfortunately her recovery wasn't as easy, but after 3-4 weeks, she was great (mainly just pain associated with the two extra procedures). This procedure has been nothing short of miraculous for both of us! Don't get me wrong, the surgery is a tool, however it provided the boundaries we both needed to succeed!

Less than two weeks to go...I'm sure anxiety is rampant, however this time was probably the worst part of the process for me...I just wanted it done and over with! LOL

Any questions, comments, concerns that we may be able to answer, please don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks WhoDat, I've been thinking about this surgery for the last 10 years so my anxiety is pretty minimal right now. I'm just ready to get it over and start the journey. Thanks for the offer of advice... I will certainly keep you on quick dial for my many questions once the surgery is done. I feel so fortunate to have this opportunity. Congratulations on yours and your wife's success at this, I know it has added a whole new dimension to your lives. I wish I could talk my husband into this but he is not interested. He has diabetes and high BP and takes lots of medications and could really benefit from it. I am just a happy eater...no health problems and I don't take any medications. I think once I have lost weight my hubby may take a serious look at this option... sure hope so. Stay warm and stay off the roads. Thanks again.

I am from Jackson, MS. I am (hopefully) in the final stages of getting a surgery date. I am looking forward to it. I have been trying to get a surgery date since October. I believe the only thing I have left on my list to complete is final approval from my insurance and to get a EGD. I have a lot of reflux so he wants to make sure everything is ok before we proceed. I agree with him. It is better to be safe than sorry. Have you started the liquid diet?

I am in Tupelo, Ms. Surgery date is Feb.21. I am supper excited. The 2 week pre-op hasn't been as hard as I thought. I am just ready for Friday. Feel like a kid waiting for Santa.

I am in Tupelo, Ms. Surgery date is Feb.21. I am supper excited. The 2 week pre-op hasn't been as hard as I thought. I am just ready for Friday. Feel like a kid waiting for Santa.

Hi Melinda, I was in Tupelo over the Christmas Holidays. Lovely town, Congratulations on getting your surgery date. I didn't think the pre-op diet was hard either but I didn't want to quit eating all of my favorite foods. I am 1 week post op and doing pretty good save for the one sore incision spot on my stomach. Each day is a significant improvement and I will be going back to work tomorrow. The surgery itself kicked my butt and I had immediate buyers remorse but by Friday I was all on board again. I think that is pretty normal. I am still very hesitant about social situations but the rest of it is pretty easy and straightforward. Follow the rules given by the surgeon and you lose weight and the rainbows will appear and butterflies will fly. Or something like that. Anyway, it is a very doable plan if one sets their mind to it. Good luck and let us know how you do with surgery.

I am from Jackson, MS. I am (hopefully) in the final stages of getting a surgery date. I am looking forward to it. I have been trying to get a surgery date since October. I believe the only thing I have left on my list to complete is final approval from my insurance and to get a EGD. I have a lot of reflux so he wants to make sure everything is ok before we proceed. I agree with him. It is better to be safe than sorry. Have you started the liquid diet?

Have you gotten your date yet? When is it? Let us know so we can follow you too.

Hi, I am from Blue Mountain, MS. I live about 45 minutes from Tupelo. I am in the process of getting a surgery date. My insurance requires 6 months of weight management, and I've been a little "misinformed" about some of that. I was hoping for an early June 2014 date, but it may be August or September at this point. I'm anxious to hear from and share with other Mississippians.

Special Girl, How is it going? Any closer to a date? What surgeon are you using? Have you been attending the Support Group meetings yet? They seemed to help me prior to surgery so I will continue to go post surgery. I had my surgery at Baptist Hospital and had a wonderful experience there. All of the medical staff was awesome. I could not have asked for anyone to have been any nicer or more accommodating. Baptist rocked. Good luck and hope you will post soon.

Hi there! I live near Meridian, MS. I was sleeved on 9/24/13 and doing really well so far. I'm headed to Jackson for training all next week-anyone want to meet for a 'lite' dinner?

Hi Melinda, I was in Tupelo over the Christmas Holidays. Lovely town, Congratulations on getting your surgery date. I didn't think the pre-op diet was hard either but I didn't want to quit eating all of my favorite foods. I am 1 week post op and doing pretty good save for the one sore incision spot on my stomach. Each day is a significant improvement and I will be going back to work tomorrow. The surgery itself kicked my butt and I had immediate buyers remorse but by Friday I was all on board again. I think that is pretty normal. I am still very hesitant about social situations but the rest of it is pretty easy and straightforward. Follow the rules given by the surgeon and you lose weight and the rainbows will appear and butterflies will fly. Or something like that. Anyway, it is a very doable plan if one sets their mind to it. Good luck and let us know how you do with surgery.

I was very worried about social situations and got thru the holidays without completely blowing it!

I made the mistake of grabbing a regular plate at a recent get together. I totally forgot my limits and piled on my yummy choices. I didn't eat everything (as you will find out-you can't even if you tried) but I learned that the plate size is critical. I will never use a regular plate again-dessert plate or saucer. It looks full and holds more than I can eat.

Good luck on your new journey!

Hello! My name is Bethany and I'm 21 years old and in the middle of the process of getting the sleeve. I'm from Ocean Springs, Mississippi. I live on the Coast. ????☀️

Just wondering if y'all had any advice for me.

Thanks!