Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Enough calories?

I'm eating what the dietitian wants me to but there is no way I'm getting enough calories with the amount if working out I'm doing. I weight train 3x a week with a trainer and I do cardio 6 days a week for an hour. I always get in all my Protein. But my problem is there are days I'm getting only 700 or 800 calories. I was told to not graze and to eat 3 meals a day with one snack, possibly 2 if needed. I always feel sluggish and I've lost 3 lbs in 3 months and I'm only 10 months our from surgery. Am I making sense? How can I increase my calories without increasing what I eat each meal. I've already added a post work out shake. I double my Protein Shake in the morning, have an afternoon snack, then lunch, then another snack, then pre work out Shake, post work out Shake and then dinner. I know we will always go through stalls but this is getting ridicules. I can't figure what else to do. My doctor says I'm doing fine just keep doing what I'm doing but this my third stall that has lasted over 2 months. I know even though I had surgery I still need to fuel my body. I just don't know how else to do it. Any one have any ideas? Help!

I'm eating what the dietitian wants me to but there is no way I'm getting enough calories with the amount if working out I'm doing. I weight train 3x a week with a trainer and I do cardio 6 days a week for an hour. I always get in all my Protein. But my problem is there are days I'm getting only 700 or 800 calories. I was told to not graze and to eat 3 meals a day with one snack, possibly 2 if needed. I always feel sluggish and I've lost 3 lbs in 3 months and I'm only 10 months our from surgery. Am I making sense? How can I increase my calories without increasing what I eat each meal. I've already added a post work out shake. I double my Protein Shake in the morning, have an afternoon snack, then lunch, then another snack, then pre work out Shake, post work out Shake and then dinner. I know we will always go through stalls but this is getting ridicules. I can't figure what else to do. My doctor says I'm doing fine just keep doing what I'm doing but this my third stall that has lasted over 2 months. I know even though I had surgery I still need to fuel my body. I just don't know how else to do it. Any one have any ideas? Help!

Since you say you have a dietitian, why not ask?

I'm interested in the answer. I am looking to re-start Zumba in February and I don't understand how I'm going to get through a class without dropping given that I'm only taking in 500 to 600 calories. I am six weeks out. The class I go to is taught by a former NFL cheerleader so they are no joke, it is an intense workout. I can't WAIT to go back, just bought new Zumba wear today!

To mistysj....Shouldn't we all have a dietitian?! We had to see one before surgery. I have an appointment with mine. It's not for another 2 weeks....I thought maybe someone else has had the same problem and could give me some insight...feel free to ignore my previous post

To mistysj....Shouldn't we all have a dietitian?! We had to see one before surgery. I have an appointment with mine. It's not for another 2 weeks....I thought maybe someone else has had the same problem and could give me some insight...feel free to ignore my previous post

Not everyone has to see a dietitian. :)

Not everyone has to see a dietitian. :)

You can easily add calories without increasing volume and without adding extra meals. I always chuckle when people ask this question - who'd have thought?

Anyway, to answer your question specifically, to add a few calories, skip the low fat anything. Add a few nuts to your diet. Add a little cream to your coffee or Soup. Maybe you could add another healthy snack. Think back to the things you avoided to lose weight. I would just say be careful with this. Your stall may or may not be related to intake. Sometimes our bodies just are not ready to lose. I've been on a two month plateau myself.

I would give your dietitian a call. He/she might be able to give you some more recommendations, and also look at intake vs expenditure. I agree, you need to fuel your body.

Edited by MichiganChic

I work out 4 or 5 days a week and can get up to about 600-700 calories burned (depending on what you're looking at.) I'm not losing at a crazy fast pace but I am steady. I don't worry too much about eating low-fat (although I prefer skim milk and yogurt.)

My physician's assistant basically said that they want me to eat up to 1200 calories with the sweet spot being between 800 and 1200. So if I burn 600 and eat 800, I am supposed to eat enough to get up to 800, so another 600 calories. (Obviously if I burn 600 and eat 1400 that is fine.) It is not as hard as it sounds; it's a couple of extra Snacks. Add some Peanut Butter to your post-workout shake. Etc. Cubes of cheese, if you like it. Some nuts or avocado.

I would talk with your dietician to see what your calorie needs should be. Have you tried MyFitnessPal or a similar program? You can track everything you eat as well as your daily activities. This will help you to see what your calorie intake is compared to your calorie expenditure. To loose weight you have to consume less than you burn but if you are consuming too little then your body may be hanging on to every bit of calories for fear of starvation. You can print out a report that you can take to your dietician so you both can see where you need to make changes. I used MyFitnessPal prior to getting my Fitbit, I know track everything there. It's very helpful. MyFitnessPal is free. Good luck!

When I increased my workouts and the intensity of them, my weight loss stalled. My nutritionist said I wasn't eating enough calories (I was eating 400-600). I increased it to 800-1000 and eventually the lbs started shedding again. I also eat 5-6 smaller meals in order to get the calories in. You're also building muscle and that weighs more than fat. Check your measurements....I bet you're losing inches even though the pounds aren't showing yet. Good luck!

I just talked to my dietitian...she said to add some fruit. Maybe 1/4 cup grapes during the day then half an apple and a small scoop of Peanut Butter before I work out. She said I need those carbs for work out and to help stabilize. :/

Thank for all the ideas and info! I think I have a game plan!

When it comes to energy carbs are king. On a regular diet, about 60% of your body's energy needs are met by carbs. So the fruit may help some. But if I read your post correctly, you're drinking four Protein shakes a day. Four shakes at 160 calories per shake would be 640 calories for the shakes alone. And on a big day, you're eating a total of 800 calories. Now deduct the calories that you're burning with an aggressive exercise program and your "net" calories have to be quite low. Perhaps too low?

Our bodies are much more effective at maintaining or increasing our weight than they are at losing weight. Your body will respond to a calorie deficit by defending your current weight - what is sometimes referred to as "set points". In order to maintain the current set point, your body will reduce your heart rate, respiration and perhaps most importantly - slow your metabolism.

I'm not a nutritionist or for that matter any kind of health care professional. But even calorie recommendations by doctors and nutritionists are educated guesses. And they make those recommendations knowing that there is no one size fits all. There are simply too many variables. But I am surprised that your nutritionist didn't recommend at least a modest increase in your daily calorie intake. That can be accomplished by increasing portion sizes or altering your food choices in favor of ones that offer higher calorie counts. Nice and easy. You might want to consider increasing your calorie count by 100 calories a day. Do that for a week or two and see what happens with your weight and your energy level. Repeat until you find the calorie number and macro nutrient percentages that work for you - i.e. your weight loss resumes and your energy increases.

As mentioned by another member above, I believe that maintaining a food/exercise log is the most powerful tool that you can have in your arsenal following the surgery. It's quick, it's easy and it allows you to fine tune your diet to your body and your lifestyle. I've used My Fitness Pal for over two years and highly recommend it but other forum members are very impressed with Spark People as well. There are many other options and most apps do pretty much the same thing.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress!!

Edited by DLCoggin

And by the way - welcome to the forum! This is a special place with tons of knowledgeable and supportive folks. We're always glad to have new folks join us!!

Great answers and suggestions.