Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 600lb life

I love these shows!!

It's recording now. :)

I started watching Fat Doctor since it has full episodes on YouTube and it's a good alternative if you don't have TLC and can't watch my 600lb life. It does seem a little more graphic, the episodes I have watched are all open surgeries and they show a lot of the procedures. The surgeon was literally pulling out the "guts" and cutting them right before my very eyes!! (I tried closing one eye, but it didn't make it any less graphic lol) all in all good alternative.

Okay. So I just watched the Penny episode today. All I can say is "wow!" What a waste and could she be any more in denial. She makes excuses like they re going out of style. I just hope that she is not beyond help, but it sure seems that way. Some of the other stories made me sad. She made me mad.

I want to see that episode!!! Lol ugh

I started watching Fat Doctor since it has full episodes on YouTube and it's a good alternative if you don't have TLC and can't watch my 600lb life. It does seem a little more graphic, the episodes I have watched are all open surgeries and they show a lot of the procedures. The surgeon was literally pulling out the "guts" and cutting them right before my very eyes!! (I tried closing one eye, but it didn't make it any less graphic lol) all in all good alternative.

It blows my mind that the patients walk into the operating room and climb on the table themselves. I would be a nervous wreck and shaking the whole time. I'm glad I was knocked out before I made it to the operating room lol. All I remember was someone saying we are going to give you something to relax.

It blows my mind that the patients walk into the operating room and climb on the table themselves. I would be a nervous wreck and shaking the whole time. I'm glad I was knocked out before I made it to the operating room lol. All I remember was someone saying we are going to give you something to relax.

Ha! I had my surgery in Mexico and that is exactly what happened. Walked right in there, climbed on the table, the anesthesiologist said here comes the relax (lol) and I started singing Tina Turner.

I was more mortified they wanted me to take my panties off. Lol my husband kept laughing at that one.

Ha! I had my surgery in Mexico and that is exactly what happened. Walked right in there, climbed on the table, the anesthesiologist said here comes the relax (lol) and I started singing Tina Turner. I was more mortified they wanted me to take my panties off. Lol my husband kept laughing at that one.

Omg that's hilarious!! Singing Tina Turner! Ha ha! Love it!

Well I was awake when they rolled me into the room but what killed me is when I woke up I was in a different gown. About an hour or two after I was out of recovery that dawned on me and for a moment I was mildly horrified that I had been completely naked in the operating room! Well DUH....LOL! :P

Sometimes when I go for my post op visits I can't help but giggle thinking most of these people have seen me passed out naked lol. Then again, they've also seen my internal organs...

I watch the show and cry every time I see these people. I wonder why the light never went on when they were a 100 pounds over wait. My reason that I watch the show is because it is a reminder that I could get that big. My light went on when I weighed 200 pound and then got very mad at myself when looking for surgery went up to 265. My surgery was a success I don't regret it but wish my clinic could be like the clinic they show on TV. The after care is as important as the care before and during.

I personally don't watch that show. From reading what you wrote it sounded like she wasn't mentally ready for a life change. Which is possible, we are not her so I cannot say what was going through her head when she decided to go with weight loss surgery. My highest weight was 397 back before I had surgery and I had to sit and really think about the life decisions I was going to make with having this surgery. Its not an easy way out of obesity, and I think that's the social stigma that many think. I have had friends ask me about it and I tell them its by far not the easy way out and if you think it is then its not for you. My grandfather was 500 pounds maybe over, he died from being overweight. Congested Heart failure actually and that was caused by his weight. I think if the surgery was available to him as an option back when he could have it he would have chose it. But the two years before he passed away he wasn't ready to loose weight even after his PCP urged him to start eating healthy. He would tell me all the time that he doesn't want me like him, and I am happy to say I wont be but I miss him to this day. I cannot condemn the Penny lady on TLC over her decisions because each person is different, even if this woman was in the public eye on a reality tv show. I think of TLC as just a drama show thats all.

Omg that's hilarious!! Singing Tina Turner! Ha ha! Love it! Well I was awake when they rolled me into the room but what killed me is when I woke up I was in a different gown. About an hour or two after I was out of recovery that dawned on me and for a moment I was mildly horrified that I had been completely naked in the operating room! Well DUH....LOL! :P

Oh crap! I never looked at my gown to see if it was different! Lol

Edited by RnJsNana

I missed that episode but it sounds like a wasted opportunity at redemption. There are many people who need and want the surgery and can't get it for financial or insurance issues. What a shame to waste the procedure on someone who clearly wasn't ready and has issues she needs to deal with via extensive therapy.

I was pretty unhappy with the surgeon. Where the hell was the physic evaluation????

The doctor even said some of her conditions were real and others imagined. One of the imagined were her oxygen levels, they were normal but she insisted she needed her oxygen.

Just because she can stay on a diet in a hospital environment its ok to do surgery on her????

I lost hundreds of pounds over the corse of decades during the first few months of a diet.

I'm not saying mental disability is reason not to do the surgery unless its not under control or the person is not following up with a certified doctor to get them in the right frame of mind and make sure they understand everything about what the surgery in tails.

I screamed at the tv when she was crying and came up with the I couldn't reach my va j j x amount of months ago.

At the beginning of the episode thats one of the first things she did. OMG

I was screaming again when she said no one told me I had to lose weight when I got here. THEN WHAT THE HE** WAS SHE THERE FOR!!!!! I was pretty much screaming at my tv a lot.

Having the sleeve myself I can't figure out how she ate that much to keep from losing any weight and in fact GAIN!

I'm 7 months out and still can't eat that much at one sitting. Though I have found that I can now start eating around my surgery and have to keep an eye on that.

She is really the case for needing a complete evaluation and get everything understood BEFORE you cut someone open.

What if the ding wad would have had serious complications? Serious complications from a surgery she didn't fully understand or want to understand. Bet there would have been a law suit then.

I did a ton of research before I did the surgery. I knew exactly what I was getting into.

That episode was an epic FAIL on many levels.

I was pretty unhappy with the surgeon. Where the hell was the physic evaluation????

The doctor even said some of her conditions were real and others imagined. One of the imagined were her oxygen levels, they were normal but she insisted she needed her oxygen.

Just because she can stay on a diet in a hospital environment its ok to do surgery on her????

I lost hundreds of pounds over the corse of decades during the first few months of a diet.

I'm not saying mental disability is reason not to do the surgery unless its not under control or the person is not following up with a certified doctor to get them in the right frame of mind and make sure they understand everything about what the surgery in tails.

I screamed at the tv when she was crying and came up with the I couldn't reach my va j j x amount of months ago.

At the beginning of the episode thats one of the first things she did. OMG

I was screaming again when she said no one told me I had to lose weight when I got here. THEN WHAT THE HE** WAS SHE THERE FOR!!!!! I was pretty much screaming at my tv a lot.

Having the sleeve myself I can't figure out how she ate that much to keep from losing any weight and in fact GAIN!

I'm 7 months out and still can't eat that much at one sitting. Though I have found that I can now start eating around my surgery and have to keep an eye on that.

She is really the case for needing a complete evaluation and get everything understood BEFORE you cut someone open.

What if the ding wad would have had serious complications? Serious complications from a surgery she didn't fully understand or want to understand. Bet there would have been a law suit then.

I did a ton of research before I did the surgery. I knew exactly what I was getting into.

That episode was an epic FAIL on many levels.

I guess that's one GOOD thing about that particular episode.... It shows that WLS is NOT the easy way out.... You still have to WORK to lose weight, and you must commit to a LIFESTYLE CHANGE!!!!!