Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 600lb life

Does anyone watch this show on the TLC channel? It's on Tuesdays and it shows people who are close or even over 600lbs who undergo wls to save their lives. This last one on the 21st was the story of a 45 year old named Penny who weighed 530lbs. I was so frustrated watching the episode! She was in the hospital for a month and lost 40lbs so the dr agreed to do wls on her and chose the sleeve. He wanted to do the switch eventually. She never lost any weight!! They followed her for a year and she GAINED weight! She had an excuse for everything they asked her to do. She was bed ridden and refused to try to get up and walk!! She never walked the whole year, it ended her weighing 495lbs and still not walking. I just don't understand why you would uproot your life, undergo surgery and then not follow drs orders. I honestly didn't know it was even possible that you could even have that surgery and NOT lose weight! The dr suspected her husband was sneaking her food! She was griping at the nurse that no one told her she was going to be on a diet and expected to lose weight while she was in the hospital! Are you kidding me?? She was in the hospital 4 months after and never lost a pound so the dr gave up. I just don't get it. I guess some people really think wls is a quick fix and you don't have to do anything but wait for the weight to fall off. It was just very frustrating to watch. Anyway, that's the first one I've seen that had a bad outcome. Most of them have been really neat to see how they get the weight off and go on to living life again.

I saw that one also and was equally frustrated!! It was so sad to just watch her with excuse after excuse!! I'd like to know what her outcome is now, since the show aired and everything.

I was SO BEYOND done with this one!! I watch it every week but I was FURIOUS watching her cry wolf for make excuses as to why she couldn't do anything. It's RIDICULOUS!!

SPenny was a cautionary tale as I watcher it. I am 20 lbs above my lowest weight since surgery. I wonder if penny is me. I feel like I could never go back to my heaviest or more. But there it is, 20 lbs.

she did have an excuse for every challenge to her current thinking. I have pledged to use my tool to its best. I know it is not magic, as I guess penny thought it was.

It is work, a recommitment whenever needed, asking for help when I am in over my head or close to it.

I am so grateful for the tool and the things I have learned to this date. I don't want to die, to put it mildly.

Thank you for the show. Not so I can judge, but that I can learn and recheck my own commitment.I hope your wls path leads you to greater peace!

Her story made us look bad! Frustration watching.. Yes. Compassion for her .. No and feel guilty but this works only if you are willing to do the work! She clearly was not! Poor son and husband?

I was lost for words!!! She had her husband deep frying dumplings after the sleeve....WTF!!! And said something like, "I can't live without dumplings"....it seems like soon she won't be living at all. The poor nutritionist came to try and help and she almost bit her head off. Doesn't she feel sorry for her son who will grow up without a mother? They were showing what she was eating right after the sleeve and it seemed like way too much food. Is it possible the surgeon did make her sleeve small enough??

VPAPNYC- I was thinking the SAME thing....HOW IS SHE EATING ALL OF THAT FOOD! I could BARELY take a couple of spoon fulls of anything and she's eating WONTONS>>>WTF?? This surgery is not for the faint of heart! And like Birthsjourney said YOU have to be willing to put the work in for success. Her husband enabled her by cooking tht mess for her!! My husand ask me CAN YOU HAVE THAT?? (thanks babe for caring enough to ask)!!

I agree! I mean I'm a year out of sleeve surgery and even a little fried food tears my stomach up so I avoid it! She was eating a ton of those things after only being sleeved a few months! And don't get me started on the husband....he's no dr but he thinks fried wontons are better than takeout?!!? Omg!! And asking her in the hospital if she wanted ice cream, I almost fainted! She's very selfish in my opinion and she took the whole thing like a joke. Saying the dietician was stupid and she wouldn't even try anything during physical therapy except give excuses! Geez....

It's not easy. God knows I'm not perfect but I try. It takes work and with her it's like she has given up and doesn't want to try. Yes I would also be interested to see how she's doing today.

You said it girls!! The husband was a total enabler. And by the end I felt really bad for the surgeon....it seemed he acted about her future more than they did....ugh!

I haven't had the surgery yet so I don't know from experience but I do have eyes and ears and she is one of those people who really believes that wls is the easy way out. She thought he was God & she was receiving some miraculous/magical stomach that would allow her to eat all that she wanted& not gain a pound. Well, it did do that but she also hasn't lost another pound either. Sadly, she thinks her son won't eventually resent her for being to overweight to truly be there for him.

i watch it.....as a reminder of how close i was to becoming just like that...

that first step is truly the hardest.........and the second and the third ones.........

Ok I have watched at least about 5 of these shows...do anyone work? how does the people afford to stay at home and their family///the momma the dad...

You said it girls!! The husband was a total enabler. And by the end I felt really bad for the surgeon....it seemed he acted about her future more than they did....ugh!

I find most of the "caregivers"/"spouses"/"parents" on this show are ENABLERS!!!!!!

I, too, saw that episode & felt a mix of emotions as I watched it. I found myself feeling disdain for her pompous attitude, and then reminded myself that this is a journey, not for a short stint, but an entire lifetime, and she simply was not ready yet for the commitment it will take to really change. I wasn't ready at first either, and it took me a long time to recognize that this is NOT an easy choice, regardless of what the uninformed public may think. It takes hard work EVERY DAY. Maybe one day, she'll be ready to embrace the opportunity given her...hopefully, she will. Each of us has our own unique path to truth, and maybe she has a few more lessons to learn before she gets there...until then, I hope she & her family can hold their own...

Ok I have watched at least about 5 of these shows...do anyone work? how does the people afford to stay at home and their family///the momma the dad...

No, it doesn't seem like anyone works. Even in tonight's episode no one worked. I don't understand how they lived off of fast food if no one works.