Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PreOp Diet Weight Gain

I am on the PreOp diet and have gained weight. Before starting, I ate 2 meals a day, Breakfast and lunch. Breakfast was a small low-fat yogurt, a little bit of low sugar granola and a banana or some other fruit. Lunch as usually out while at work. Normally places like Luby's, where I never get fried foods. Rarely ever did I get anything fried. I am a big salad lover with a vinegarette dressing. Now that I have been having a little breakfast (2 of what is on the allowed list), a sensible lunch (tilapia or some other sensible meat), and those 2 shakes (made with 8 oz of skim milk), I have gained 2 pounds. I am not eating sweets, I haven't been eating stuff that I shouldn't eat. What is going on? Any ideas? :)

I'm surprised your getting to eat any solid food at all, lucky you! I'm also on the Pre-Op Diet. Except I'm on the all liquid Opti-Fast. Today is my 11th day, Surgery this Tuesday. I went for my Pre-Op meeting with Surgeon yesterday and was down 15lbs. If I where you I'd let my Doc know Immediately! And get some suggestions from Him/Her. The reason for doing the Pre-Diet is going to help your Doc during Surgery, and you! Don't wait give him a call.

Good Luck To You,

Rocko~~

Rockn4u, how do you eat shakes for 2 weeks straight....i'm not there yet, probably will in a few months tho. To me it seems like I couldnt go without a meal (using a replacement i.e. shake) for one day. But then again I guess the fact that you are doing this for a better and easier surgery kind of slaps you in the face and tells you not to eat....but jeez, how does it feel not to chew anything for 2 weeks. If i were that good at controlling what i eat i wouldnt be looking into the lapband.

I called the doctor about my lack of lost pounds. I was asked if my clothes fit different. I have noticed that the back of my legs aren't as big and my pants weren't as tight. I was also bloated (monthly curse), so that was another reason why there was no loss. So, my surgery is tomorrow and I still weight 237.5.

I had to do the Protein Shakes 2x daily with small evening meal for a MONTH. It kicked me into Ketosis and there the weight went. I would suggest checking with the Dr. and see what they say. They might want you just on the shakes.... I know that with my evening meal I couldn't have anything that would even remotely resemble a carb. I could do leafy green....but not much else with my 4-6 oz. Protein. I lost 10 lbs and surgery is Friday. YIPEE!

Hi all

I have a 4/20 surgery date andjust started preop diet today.

I was to start diet on 4/6 but I really did not think that I would have surgery 4/20. Because my wife is having the surgery also,but she went to her first consultation 1 month after me. But she had ins. aproval before me, because they sent her labs and info under my name. and when we got it fixed she was aproved and I'm still waiting. I talked to lapband soultions today and they said that by next week they should have aproval. And to keep up the preop diet for my 4/20 date.

So my question is this.

should I tell them that I did not start the diet on 4/6 or just keep quiet and be extra good.

So my question is this.

should I tell them that I did not start the diet on 4/6 or just keep quiet and be extra good.

Some folks, like the lady above, don't lose any weight before surgery. Some must have liquids for two weeks, some doctors mandate a month-long diet. Some are allowed to eat Protein during the pre-op diet. Some of our European and Aussie friends weren't even on diets...one lady said her doctor told her no special diet, just NPO 12 hrs. before surgery. If it were me, I'd keep quiet and do the best I could. I've never heard of a doctor sewing up a lapband patient, without installing the band, telling the patient to go home and diet for a few more days and come back when the liver is smaller so he can complete the surgery.

Already responded in the other 4 posts where you posted this same exact question.

I am so sorry Wasabubble. I did not know that it would bother you to have this post everywhere I seen a preop diet question. I just wanted to get as many responses as posible. To see what people thought.