Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach Gas/Bloating?

How long should I expect this stomach bloating? I am on day 7 after surgery and my stomach is still bloated and I constantly have a "full" feeling. The first couple of days I had watery stool.... now I honestly feel like I have diarrhea... but when I go to the restroom, nothing comes out but forced farts. Sorry for being gross but it is what it is. How long should I expect this? I was thinking of asking the doctor if I could take Pepto Bismol or something, but figured it was a process I just had to go through. I remember people complaining about this but wasn't sure how long it would last. I have been walking as instructed and following clear Fluid diet as well. I go on full liquids tomorrow (yay).

Thanks!

My doctor actually gave us a liquid antacid (the white milky like stuff) and I'm not even a week out yet. It actually works pretty good with the gas. Keep working on those farts though because that's nothing but RELIEF!

Edited by BamaBoo64

I know when I feel the urge I just sit in the bathroom for a bit and get out all I can lmao

My doctor told me to take something called simethicone as it's sole purpose it to reduce gas, and it's been working wonders (just since yesterday though). I can tell when it's time to take another dose as I start to feel like I need to burp/fart really bad (TMI sorry).

I'm in Canada and it's called Ovol and it's over-the-counter. I'd ask your doc about it for sure as it works well.

Give your doctor a call and see what he recommends for you. The first week or so while you are on liquids can be a little troublesome. Liquids in liquids out...if you are on Protein shakes, it's not usual to develop a bit of lactose intolerance. The shakes are mostly made with whey Protein and that is made from milk products.

When we have a lot of it even if we never had an issue before it can suddenly pop up. This happened to me and will happen often when I am on liquids again after a fill. So at the doctors recommendation I take Lactaid to help digest and break down the milk sugars that break down in the intestines and can cause gas and bloating as well as loose bowels.

I also take a pro-biotic daily for the same type of issues with other food products.

Before taking anything even over the counter medications give your Dr.'s office a call and see if they are OK with you taking something.

Feel better!!

Edited by lisacaron

My surgeon recommended Gas X strips.

I was tremendously constipated postOp for over a week......not much in gas issues but managed to produce the absolute biggest....uhhhh......"stool" of my entire existence.... and don't be surprised of larger than usual digestive sounds over the next few weeks as your intestinal tract begins to shift in it's daily task