Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hunger, exaustion and guilt

Hi everyone!

I have been working out more and more - cardio as approved by my doctor. Yesterday I was super exhausted from it and was hungry. It was a different kind of hunger, not the I want crap food and want to eat everything, but just I am drained and need something.

I have been consistently around 700 calories per day and have the intention of getting it up to 1200 over the next few months per my nutritionists suggestion. Yesterday I ended up having two dinners separated by a couple of hours because of my hunger. I ended the day at 850 calories with 66 grams of carb, which is significantly more than usual.

I feel like I should be ok with this, but I am feeling guilty and like I did something wrong yesterday.

I ended up losing .8 lbs this morning, but I guess I am just terrified of increasing my calories. Have any of you faced this? How did you get past it?

Thanks!

I think we all lose our minds with this surgery, just a little bit.

You ONLY ate 850 calories, and as long as you got your Protein in, no big deal. Also, 66 g of carbs is not a huge amount. I know your NUT personally (LOL) and I am sure she would tell you you are doing great, probably even to eat more. PLUS you are only a few weeks out.

Give yourself a break. Please.

Thank you. I know this is crazy thoughts. I'm just not sure how to get past it. But I guess it will just be practice.

If you're pushing yourself really hard at the gym, you're obviously going to need a few more calories to nourish the body. As long as you are eating healthy and within your ranges, you'll do great! Follow your NUTs advice. Currently on my full liquid diet, my NUT said any ranges my surgeon gave me I should be at the higher end (due to my structure), so for this phase it was listed 600-800 for me, so I'm trying to hit close to 800 calories a day. I found that hitting the gym everyday this week with 30 minutes of intense cardio actually slowed down my weight loss this week as I think I was pushing my body into starvation mode and i was getting those hunger pangs more in the evening this week then what I'm used too. As an example, I consumed 735 calories on Thursday, burned 630 from exercise in addition to what the body normally burns for the day and sets me up in a huge deficit. I'm going to reduce the intensity of the cardio for now until my calorie intake is back up to 1000-1200 and I think then I'll be okay.

Everyone is different, so please don't use my numbers for yourself, as I'm just trying to explain whats been happening with me as it might shed some light on your own dilemma :)

Edited by Jdub

I have noticed that I have days where I am hungrier and when I review the day in my mind, I often find that I either did not drink all the Water or did not consume 55+ grams of Protein from shakes as recommended by my NUT. I am staying focused on those two things and it seems to help.

I do agree that you likely need to increase your intake due to the amount of exercise you are doing and the calories you are burning. Also remember that exercise will build muscle which is heavier than fat, BUT muscle burns calories all day long so it is a good change. If you took "before" measurements, you are likely seeing wonderful changes.

Keep the faith!

I am still at the 500-800 calorie target, and sometimes I worry when I get just over 700. When I first started this diet, I thought it felt a little like forced anorexia, but now that I am used to it, I am fine with the amount of food I am getting. I do know how you feel though, we go from feeling guilty about the calories we ate that made us obese to the calories we eat that will help with our weight loss. Have you consulted a trainer at your gym? They may be able to help you process the intake of calories versus the exercise you do. Sometimes getting that info. from several different sources helps me internalize it.

Best of luck!

Amy

Exercise causes hunger to increase to replenish calories lost.

If you eat your Protein first, eat up without guilt after all without the nutrients your body cannot rebuild properly.