Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All,

I am new here. I'm having surgery on Jan. 28th. I'm scared to death and very excited. I look forward to and hope I've found an online community that is active to share my hopes, fears, and accomplishments with as well as learn from those who have been there. I had a lap band in 2007 but have lost only approx 50 lbs. so I've decided to go for the gastric bypass which is what I wanted to do to begin with but was too afraid to go through with it.

I look forward to meeting everyone

I am right behind you. My surgery date is feb 3 and I also had a lapband for a while. I look forward to keeping up with your progress.

Really anxious for my bypass on the 28th, I'm also getting a hernia fixed & he's yanking my gall bladder too, ready to be a new person. Where you guys from? St. Louis here.

Welcome, welcome! I think you'll find you are definitely in the right place!! So many great folks here! You're gonna love the new you!!

Hello all thank you for the warm welcome :-). I went to another forum that was recommended on my paperwork but it was not very active. Glad to have found an active site. I think we all need to stick together! Some peeps really don't understand what it's like to be overweight and the struggles that come with it. There are quite a few people though that have had the surgery even in my small town. I however have chosen not to tell anyone about my new venture. I feel like a failure with my lap band. I don't need any additional pressure with the bypass. Especially since I'm hearing you loose less going from a band to bypass conversion. I'm in the Boston area. I had my pre op but got a call they need me to do an ultrasound on my gallbladder. What if they find stones. Will they cancel the surgery?

Good luck with your upcoming surgery! Mine is Jan 20th and I am from Canada.

Hello all thank you for the warm welcome :-). I went to another forum that was recommended on my paperwork but it was not very active. Glad to have found an active site. I think we all need to stick together! Some peeps really don't understand what it's like to be overweight and the struggles that come with it. There are quite a few people though that have had the surgery even in my small town. I however have chosen not to tell anyone about my new venture. I feel like a failure with my lap band. I don't need any additional pressure with the bypass. Especially since I'm hearing you loose less going from a band to bypass conversion. I'm in the Boston area. I had my pre op but got a call they need me to do an ultrasound on my gallbladder. What if they find stones. Will they cancel the surgery?

It's probably more likely that your surgeon will recommend removing the gall bladder at the same time they do the bypass. There was a time not all that long ago when some bariatric surgeons routinely removed the gall bladder when doing the bypass. Gall bladder problems are fairly common following bypass and the thinking was why do two surgeries when you can do both with one surgery. Subsequent studies showed that the incidence of gall bladder problems following the surgery was not high enough to warrant removing it in the absence of specific indications that the gall bladder is diseased. I don't recall ever reading of a surgery being cancelled because of a gall bladder problem.

It's probably more likely that your surgeon will recommend removing the gall bladder at the same time they do the bypass. There was a time not all that long ago when some bariatric surgeons routinely removed the gall bladder when doing the bypass. Gall bladder problems are fairly common following bypass and the thinking was why do two surgeries when you can do both with one surgery. Subsequent studies showed that the incidence of gall bladder problems following the surgery was not high enough to warrant removing it in the absence of specific indications that the gall bladder is diseased. I don't recall ever reading of a surgery being cancelled because of a gall bladder problem.

Thank you so much for responding :-)

I called and someone was supposed to call back and they never did. That gives me hope my surgery won't get cancelled. I know every doc is different it at least it calms my nerves some. Thank you so much

I had that issue , my dr is removing my gall bladder & fixing a hernia the same time as my bypass.

Sounds good to me. As long as they still do the bypass. Will that add extra days on to your recovery?

It's best to get your gallbladder out at the same time and fix any hiatel hernias ... My husband has the surgery in 2010. He had a gastric sleeve and 3 months later had to go in and get his gall bladder removed... I already had my gallbladder removed after my first pregnancy do when I went in march for my bypass , they took care if my hiatel hernia ...what a difference . It's nice not having the acid reflux

I'm definetly ready to lose the acid reflux. lol dr asked me if I wanted it all done at once I said sure because if you don't I probably won't be back lol. Had a umbellical hernia fixed a few years ago then a month later dr says oh you have gall stones & your gall bladder needs to go when do you want to do it? Lol I said when I have too that was 4 years ago

Kenny,

Sorry to hear you have a hernia and gallstones but happy you can get them taken care of at the same time. My ultrasound is tomorrow. I am very curious as to whether or not my gall bladder will have to come out or not also. Two weeks to go. I've been trying to figure out which Vitamins to buy. Are you getting nervous?

I'm definetly ready to lose the acid reflux. lol dr asked me if I wanted it all done at once I said sure because if you don't I probably won't be back lol. Had a umbellical hernia fixed a few years ago then a month later dr says oh you have gall stones & your gall bladder needs to go when do you want to do it? Lol I said when I have too that was 4 years ago

Oh yes very nervous, hopefully I don't chicken out lol, I had my gall bladder surgery scheduled 2 times over the past few years & canceled I just been dealing with the pain, but I'm ready for a change ready to drop this weight & get to do so much more with my kiddos.