Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Close Call !

and drinking warm liquids will help loosen the band

How in the hail is this even possible. lol Your band always stays the same size. It doesn't loosen or contract.

and drinking warm liquids will help loosen the band

How in the hail is this even possible. lol Your band always stays the same size. It doesn't loosen or contract.

Maybe us veteran lap banders that are close to 10 years post op are just plain stupid and don't know what we are doing...and drink warm liquids to prevent us from vomiting....to keep our bands from slipping...and oh yea....drinking warm liquids will unbuckle the band and loosen it up to prevent slippage...LOL... :lol: ...both of us can play this stupid sarcasm game.

I was reprimanded by the NP when he saw me pouring COLD Water after my fill a few months ago. He told me cold liquids "tighten" the band, and I should drink room temperature or warm water to test restriction after a fill and to "relax" the band.

I gotta ask my surgeon about this.. when I have had a fill he gives me cold Water to drink ... I have not noticed any difference when I drink warm or Hot Drinks as opposed to cold ... I will put that one on my list of questions and report his response.. it's always good to know anything that could help ...

I gotta ask my surgeon about this.. when I have had a fill he gives me cold Water to drink ... I have not noticed any difference when I drink warm or hot drinks as opposed to cold ... I will put that one on my list of questions and report his response.. it's always good to know anything that could help ...

Ditto, it is one of the reasons I can actually tell that the water is going through my band is because I can feel the temp change.

I,also, love the fact that I can feel cold things going through my chest, now! :P !! When I am stuck, I drink room temperature, coke, or pineapple juice. Cold doesn't seem to make me feel better! Just my $.02!!Karen.aka..kll724

This is funny! I've had many "close calls" over the years, some very embarrassing! I've had to excuse myself many times while eating out over the years because I ate the "wrong" thing first. which plugged me up and I could not eat another bite and my dinner date was ruined because I got food stuck for hours. This is why I tell other newbies, while dining out in public, ALWAYS get a warm tea, or hot Soup to help open up the esophagus. I keep papaya enzymes with me and chew a few when I go out to dinner with my husband, this will allow easy digestion and I can eat food without getting stuck. bread, grille chicken, and Chinese food should always have warning signs for lap banders...haha..

What's the deal with papaya enzymes?? I've never heard of that before.

Last night went out to dinner with my Wife.....sat down, ordered drinks, then ordered our food....

They brought out the fresh bread.....it looked very soft, warm....but I should know better...I do not eat bread....

But it happens, you just don't think sometimes.

Cut a small slice, took a small bite, chewed and swallowed....BAM...it just sat there! I could feel it. Not quite stuck, but I knew if I took one more swallow of ANYTHING it would be a disaster.....

Now I'm in trouble...they have not even started to bring out our food yet, and I am unable to eat or drink another thing.....

I excused myself to go to the men's room.....I guess just from getting up and walking, the lump of bread finally passed....when I returned, I took a few sips of my drink to be sure all was clear.....it was!

This has happened to me a few times when I was still learning..the hard way...I may have had to bring my entire dinner home and not eat anything there....very embarrassing to say the least.

Once you learn your lessons, I should not think things will change over time.....I cannot go backwards with this surgery....

Close call !

I am one month post, no fills yet and some parts of the day I feel I can eat anything. Sometimes one mini bite chewed, was fine. Took my son bowling and we ate Wendy's for something quick. I took chicken from the wrap, chewed a lot and 3rd bite, it was stuck!! I immediately stood up and felt terrible!!!! 4-5 hours later and still feel weird. Guess I could say my first episode. Will not do that again.

Last night went out to dinner with my Wife.....sat down, ordered drinks, then ordered our food....

They brought out the fresh bread.....it looked very soft, warm....but I should know better...I do not eat bread....

But it happens, you just don't think sometimes.

Cut a small slice, took a small bite, chewed and swallowed....BAM...it just sat there! I could feel it. Not quite stuck, but I knew if I took one more swallow of ANYTHING it would be a disaster.....

Now I'm in trouble...they have not even started to bring out our food yet, and I am unable to eat or drink another thing.....

I excused myself to go to the men's room.....I guess just from getting up and walking, the lump of bread finally passed....when I returned, I took a few sips of my drink to be sure all was clear.....it was!

This has happened to me a few times when I was still learning..the hard way...I may have had to bring my entire dinner home and not eat anything there....very embarrassing to say the least.

Once you learn your lessons, I should not think things will change over time.....I cannot go backwards with this surgery....

Close call !

I am one month post, no fills yet and some parts of the day I feel I can eat anything. Sometimes one mini bite chewed, was fine. Took my son bowling and we ate Wendy's for something quick. I took chicken from the wrap, chewed a lot and 3rd bite, it was stuck!! I immediately stood up and felt terrible!!!! 4-5 hours later and still feel weird. Guess I could say my first episode. Will not do that again.
Im confused i thought we could eat chicken and you still got stuck. Im not on real food yet just mushy and im scared to eat anything.

Everybody is different. I can eat chicken, but I have to be really careful with it. But, I also can eat bread and some cant

In a month, I've only had a small bite of bread (grilled cheese) dipped in my Soup broth. At lunch I'd have one bite of that and rest soup.

I've also had one bite of Pillsbury biscuit. A bite or two of soft dough from pizza. My office said chicken was ok but must not be dry. And from my experience, its finely chewed one to two bites.

I'm a month out and mix between shakes, cottage cheese, soft gods and on occasion chicken, etc. I was told I could advance only if things felt ok. I felt I didn't advance too quick and what I've learned is one day ok and another day just too much.

I'm wondering if I'll ever eat "regular" foods or always only eat softer regular foods??

Not only band but I've found vegetarian items with high Protein. So I've cut all or as much as possible of sodium, sugar, carbs. Only organic unsweetened Decaf tea or water/milk and Water.

You'll do fine as long as you chew well and eat slowly. I had problem with a piece of pork chop and haven't tried it since. I believe it was my fault though, it was right after I started eating solids and I don't believe I chewed it up well. You will learn what to avoid and what you can eat. I personally haven't found much that I can't eat if I chew slowly and well. I have changed my bread to whole or multigrain and I usually toast it but not always. I also managed to eat flat bread without problems. If you ever get stuck you'll know what that term means and do your best to not let it happen again.

Once you have that first bite it is hard not to take the next bite and the next.

It has been a long time since I ate a hamburger bun, generally just have hamburger with out the bun. Sometime I will have a lettuce wrap version.

My wife who is also banded cannot eat much wheat so I have cut way down on wheat products to support her.

I used to live on fries as well but those are pretty much out.