Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Close Call !

Last night went out to dinner with my Wife.....sat down, ordered drinks, then ordered our food....

They brought out the fresh bread.....it looked very soft, warm....but I should know better...I do not eat bread....

But it happens, you just don't think sometimes.

Cut a small slice, took a small bite, chewed and swallowed....BAM...it just sat there! I could feel it. Not quite stuck, but I knew if I took one more swallow of ANYTHING it would be a disaster.....

Now I'm in trouble...they have not even started to bring out our food yet, and I am unable to eat or drink another thing.....

I excused myself to go to the men's room.....I guess just from getting up and walking, the lump of bread finally passed....when I returned, I took a few sips of my drink to be sure all was clear.....it was!

This has happened to me a few times when I was still learning..the hard way...I may have had to bring my entire dinner home and not eat anything there....very embarrassing to say the least.

Once you learn your lessons, I should not think things will change over time.....I cannot go backwards with this surgery....

Close call !

I'm sorry, I know how tempting that warm bread or rolls are. Last time I was out, since my son has celiac, we just asked them to remove them from the table! I haven't had an attack in awhile when at a restaurant. Happy New year, and great reminder B-52. Karen...aka.kll724

B-52 you are a lot farther down the LB road than I am, and I appreciate your candor on the things that you still have to watch for. For me, I am still learning to not take that second bite. :)

oh yes .. we went to a Irish Pub in Pensacola last week.. they served a pumpernickel bread covered in butter and honey I think.. I really thought about eating some but I knew I would get stuck.. I had ordered salmon -and a salad.. I have been stuck on bread before.. it hurts.. so glad you were able to clear it B52..I seem to have more issues with scrambled eggs (real) than anything. don't know why.. I can eat eggbeaters okay.. people ask me what I can eat.. I tell them anything that my band likes...

This is funny! I've had many "close calls" over the years, some very embarrassing! I've had to excuse myself many times while eating out over the years because I ate the "wrong" thing first. which plugged me up and I could not eat another bite and my dinner date was ruined because I got food stuck for hours.

This is why I tell other newbies, while dining out in public, ALWAYS get a warm tea, or hot Soup to help open up the esophagus.

I keep papaya enzymes with me and chew a few when I go out to dinner with my husband, this will allow easy digestion and I can eat food without getting stuck.

bread, grille chicken, and Chinese food should always have warning signs for lap banders...haha..

Been there and done that. It is what makes us human. I haven't had a hamburger with a roll in so long now I can't remember what it taste like. If bread is not toasted dark it will not go down for me. Glad it passed for you and nothing embarrassing took place. I dread going out for dinner now. It's just not worth it financially and I have less control of what is actually in my food. You know all that hidden stuff.

Bread for me is iffey. If I eat the crunchy crust I have no issues with it but the soft part no way. Yes I think for most of us bread is not an option. NaNa I am not being rude when I say this but you can not open up your esophagus with warm liquids. I think that you think your band is at the base of your esophagus and that is farther from the truth it is 3 to 4 inches below the esophagus at the top part of the fundus in the stomach. I have seen other people post also that it is at the base of the esophagus and it isn't. We all would have issues if it was at the base of the esophagus.

It's normal to get "clogged up". After my surgery I couldn't seem to eat anything without throwing it back up. I realized that i need to really chew everything A LOT! Yes, it takes me 3 times as long to eat a meal as my wife and kids so I usually watch the news and eat at my own pace. When we go out to dinner I realized that I can eat a true full meal if I take my time. My family is very supportive and usually orders desert! I've lost 100 pounds and I'm right where I need to be. I was told that I wouldn't be able to eat things like salad but I've learned to enjoy them as long as I don't rush. I CAN'T eat bread (unless it's toasted) and it seems kind of funny that I have not had a hamburger in 2 years! I walk, work out and have adjusted to all of the changes and I feel much better now that I can sit down and actually cross my legs! No more huffing up the stairs. No hard liquer, it makes me go from fine to WASTED in 5 minutes although I do have an occasional beer or 2 even though I was told that I wouldn't be able to.

Bread for me is iffey. If I eat the crunchy crust I have no issues with it but the soft part no way. Yes I think for most of us bread is not an option. NaNa I am not being rude when I say this but you can not open up your esophagus with warm liquids. I think that you think your band is at the base of your esophagus and that is farther from the truth it is 3 to 4 inches below the esophagus at the top part of the fundus in the stomach. I have seen other people post also that it is at the base of the esophagus and it isn't. We all would have issues if it was at the base of the esophagus.

You don't have to be "rude", this has been "proven" by many band surgeons that lap banders can have "esophageal spams" AND...before food or liquids hit your stomach, it has to pass through the esophagus...hence...why the food comes back up if the band is too tight....

These things have been discussed among bandsters before you though about a lap band over 8 years ago....

This is nothing NEW has been discussed with many veteran banders over the years, it's NOTHING that I am making up....

and Yes, eating crunchy things like toasted bread will go down better than thick doughy bread...

Drinking warm liquids prior to a meal will loosen the band....and will make it easier for food or liquids to pass through the band, and first things first -- it has to pass the esophagus....

Esophagus spasming is not the same as you saying your esophagus will loosen up if you drink hot liquids. The band is no where near your esophagus, it doesn't move, it doesn't widen (the esophagus) because you drink hot liquids. You and one other person have said on more then one occasion are you letting food sit in your esophagus making it seem like the band is at the base of the esophagus which is not true. The band is many inches from the esophagus, food stays less then a minute in the pouch so why would it sit in the esophagus unless you are over eating. Esophageal dilation comes from over eating point blank not because the band is wrapped around the bottom of the esophagus. It is giving people the wrong idea of exactly where their band is located.

Esophagus spasming is not the same as you saying your esophagus will loosen up if you drink hot liquids. The band is no where near your esophagus, it doesn't move, it doesn't widen (the esophagus) because you drink hot liquids. You and one other person have said on more then one occasion are you letting food sit in your esophagus making it seem like the band is at the base of the esophagus which is not true. The band is many inches from the esophagus, food stays less then a minute in the pouch so why would it sit in the esophagus unless you are over eating. Esophageal dilation comes from over eating point blank not because the band is wrapped around the bottom of the esophagus. It is giving people the wrong idea of exactly where their band is located.

I have NO idea what your point is...nor I am here to argue about how far the band is installed from the base of the esophagus, that is irrelevant to this discussion.

My point was helping OTHERS that may have issues with eating out in restaurants that may get food stuck....and drinking warm liquids will help loosen the band, to allow food to ease down a restrictive band, as long as it's not dangerously too tight.

Good grief, you really seem to have some personal problems!

I'm glad it was a close call and not a full stuck episode.

Ok girls enough! we are all bandsters just trying to LEARN fro others experience if you notice B52 is a vetran and some of us want the opion of others so we can all learn weather we are just beginning or still on our journey there is no right or wrong answers and we coe on here for suppor or just to see what peole have learned about their bands and selves , so Women , please be Ladikes and Gentelmen , and be happy with your new life and stay positive , I a pretty sure we have heard a lot of negativity in our lives being unhealthy and obese so why would we want to spread negativity to each other , we can get that with out coming on here , please stay and say positive as we all at some point have to learn what is best for us not what is best for you some same things might work for one and maybe not for another but we all have to find what works or doesn't for us personally.

B52 I know what you mean I love the breadsticks at Olive Garden resturaunt , but since I have been banded I have only been there once and I tried a little bite of the bread I used to have them bring 3 baskets of bread for my Family now they only bring one basket , because after I ate a piece of that warm soft garlic bread I was stuck for about 5 min, then I had to wait just to be able to take a bite of my salad , so I now know bread does that for me so I opt out of bread at all and let the family have at it so I can enjoy my good food and we can enjoy each other , have a few good laughs and a good dinner I also don't do rice and always ask if they can do more veggies, or I just give what I can not eat off my plate to other family or friends and we have a good time , sometimes we do want to try but our tool helps and reminds us , that we can not have this or that and that is why we chose to be banded so I am glad it wasn't a bad stuck episode , good for you to know the signal.