Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What 3 things do u wish u had been told?

Great topic. I just scheduled my surgery for 1/7/2014.

Good luck!

I am enjoying reading these, I'm 2 weeks post op and feel completely different than I thought I would even at this point. It's interesting to read what is ahead!

Take it easy, get your Water in and make sure you walk!

I had to stop and think about this cause honestly there was a lot.

1) Head hunger is real! Controlling the appetite it's self is truly a blessing but I've had to learn to control my mind and the brain wanting things.

2) Emotional upheaval is normal. I thought something was wrong with me when I was all weepy and had no clue why. Mood swings come but they do get better.

3) Always stay on top of Constipation. It is a daily factor in life now.

Amen sister and pass the Fiber gummies! :wacko:

I had to stop and think about this cause honestly there was a lot.

1) Head hunger is real! Controlling the appetite it's self is truly a blessing but I've had to learn to control my mind and the brain wanting things.

2) Emotional upheaval is normal. I thought something was wrong with me when I was all weepy and had no clue why. Mood swings come but they do get better.

No emotional issues for me - maybe being post-menopausal helps.

But your 3) is spot on! It's a major thing that I monitor and try to avoid. It can really ruin your day! :-p

1) How relatively easy it was to recover from the surgery. I was prepared for the worst because I'm always the one who has complications. My experience was smooth (so far). Yes, the first few days sucked, but it got measurably better each day.

2) How I would need to remind myself to eat. I was told that I might not be hungry after surgery, but I didn't really get what that meant. It's much easier to eat and drink regularly during work days because I pack my Snacks and lunch. It's much harder on days off when I sleep in a little later and don't have all my meals planned.

3)When you hit a stall, measure yourself. You've probably lost inches and clothing sizes. Not all loss is measured by the scale.

Molly

Great topic...learned a lot thanks for sharing.

Amen sister and pass the Fiber gummies! :wacko:

Except maybe the first couple days...don't always assume it's gas it can be very messy

Except maybe the first couple days...don't always assume it's gas it can be very messy

This made me laugh. About a week post op my husband and I were at the grocery store. I had assumed it was just gas. NEVER assume it's just gas...

Hahaha!!! I learned this also but it was after milk! Needless to say I now know I'm lactose intolerant

Hi, the 3 things I wish I'd been told are :

1) My weight loss was not always steady and consistent. I found I plateau'd quite a bit during the process and I found it very frustrating - although I have lost 160lbs in total (I had a bypass and that weight loss was over a year and a half - most of it during the first year), so the weight did come off in the end - but you have to be persistent and patient.

2) 'Restriction' lifts eventually - in other words, although initially you can't eat very much, eventually you can eat more and at that stage you really have to be disciplined. If I have a bad day now, I know not to beat myself up and binge for days. I just start fresh the next day. Everyone is different, but the 'forgive myself' approach works for me! (I am still my own worst critic).

3) Everyone's an expert! You'll probably get lots of unsolicited and well meaning advice along the way, but you know your body and you'll know what's best for you.

I wish you every happiness in your new life! Best decision I ever made.

Jo x

I think the stalls for me will be the hardest part. It's a mind game and I know I'm no good at stalling. In the past when that happened I just gave up on my diets, so since this isn't something u can just give up.... I'm worried I will be too hard on myself when the stalls occur.

I think the stalls for me will be the hardest part. It's a mind game and I know I'm no good at stalling. In the past when that happened I just gave up on my diets, so since this isn't something u can just give up.... I'm worried I will be too hard on myself when the stalls occur.

This is one of the tricks your brain will throw at you. In the past you have stopped dieting when you stall and gone back to eating "the good stuff". So realize now around 1 month post op the following will happen.

1. You stall.

2. Your hormones are going crazy. As we lose weight out fat cells release hormones. It reminded me of going through puberty all over again. Everything makes you cry!

3. You have the regret feeling. You are asking yourself what in the he$& did I do to myself.

All of these things are designed by your brain to make you start eating "the good stuff".

The truth is - all though that time is hard it is great that I went through it.

All though the silly metal box in the bathroom did not move - my belt buckle did!

I also had not had a real good cry in months - it was actually very cleansing!

Figure out now a different way to measure your success. One of the ways I would measure my weight loss is how much of my feet I could see in the shower. When I started I could barely see my toes. Now I can see my ankles.

Oh music! Once again u have shared some GREAT info!!! Ty. I would have never thought about how to measure my progress!

You will definatley say to yourself at least once "WHY DID I DO THIS TO MYSELF?!?!" Then you will say "SHUT UP! YOU DID THIS FOR YOU, AND YOUR HEALTH FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!"

However the three things I would have liked to know is:

1. Its not easy, but its all well worth it!

2. Its all about retraining your brain, and your body... breaking habits and making new ones!

3. Don't give up! If you stumble get back up, If you need a shoulder or an ear reach out! There is always someone willing to listen! ;)