Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Staple foods for puree (phase 2)

Please post your go-to foods, recipes, etc for the purée (aka creamy) phase. Remember these foods should be smooth with no chunks. Also remember that you can have foods from the liquid phase during the purée phase.

This thread is part of a series:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/292196-staple-foods-for-pre-op/

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/292197-staple-foods-for-the-liquid-phase-phase-1/

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/292198-staple-foods-for-puree-phase-2/

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/292199-staple-foods-for-the-soft-food-stage-phase-3/

Edited by mistysj

In the middle of purees right now.

I am living off of....

Isopure Zero Carb drinks

Refried Beans with salsa and fat free cheese (blended)

Shelly's Bake Ricotta (a lighter version, she uses full fat ingredients)

sugar free popsicles

Black Beans with greek yogurt and salsa

Blended Soups

pureed lean meat, poultry or fish (blended w/ low fat cream Soup or broth)

Blended cottage cheese
soft scrambled egg (made soft by adding milk or Water before cooking)

Cream of Wheat or oatmeal (add a scoop of Protein powder)

Unsweetened strained applesauce

pureed canned fruit in light juice or water

pureed COOKED vegetable (squash, green Beans, cauliflower, broccoli)

fat free/low fat cream soup blended

blended bean soup

fat free refried beans

I'm interested to get other opinion on sugar intake.

I have been following my doctors post diet plan (I am on phase 2) and a lot of it circles around no & low sugar foods. I bought Apple sauce (no sugar added) & it still has 15 grams of sugar. Definitely can't eat that. I bought some baby food (fruit) and it has 11grams of sugar...by the way they are delicious. I am so sick of broth, I tried Beans and my stomach said (and an hour later still says) "oh heck no". I bought some "natural yogurt" and it has 11 grams of sugar....come on! My plan says stay away from sugar for now and later stay between 6-10 grams of sugar. Trying to get all the right food in is a full time job!

I'm interested to get other opinion on sugar intake. I have been following my doctors post diet plan (I am on phase 2) and a lot of it circles around no & low sugar foods. I bought Apple sauce (no sugar added) & it still has 15 grams of sugar. Definitely can't eat that. I bought some baby food (fruit) and it has 11grams of sugar...by the way they are delicious. I am so sick of broth, I tried Beans and my stomach said (and an hour later still says) "oh heck no". I bought some "natural yogurt" and it has 11 grams of sugar....come on! My plan says stay away from sugar for now and later stay between 6-10 grams of sugar. Trying to get all the right food in is a full time job!

Hi there. I don't have an opinion on this because my plan did not specifically call for sugar free food. I tend to think that if it is sugar free, it might contain a lot of chemicals. This thread is specifically for people to list off what foods they found helpful during the purée phase. You might find more people see your question if you post it to the Food and Nutrition forum as a new question. I can actually do that on your behalf if you would like.

By the way an apple still has 15 grams of (natural) sugar. There is nothing wrong with an apple!

Mashed potatoes with added Protein powder

Blended Soups with added Protein Powder

Egg whites with cottage cheese, basil, garlic salt and pepper

Puréed tuna fish with homemade mustard

Unsweetened applesauce

Plain Greek yogurt with puréed fruit (blueberries, peaches, strawberries)

Plus all my liquid stage stuff.....protein shakes, Popsicles, broth with Protein Powder

Gonna try refried Beans tomorrow

What week did everyone start eating regular food?

My schedule has me trying regular foods (slowly) at 40 days out.

What week did everyone start eating regular food?

My doctor has regular foods introduced at 8 weeks out.

I'm interested to get other opinion on sugar intake. I have been following my doctors post diet plan (I am on phase 2) and a lot of it circles around no & low sugar foods. I bought Apple sauce (no sugar added) & it still has 15 grams of sugar. Definitely can't eat that. I bought some baby food (fruit) and it has 11grams of sugar...by the way they are delicious. I am so sick of broth, I tried Beans and my stomach said (and an hour later still says) "oh heck no". I bought some "natural yogurt" and it has 11 grams of sugar....come on! My plan says stay away from sugar for now and later stay between 6-10 grams of sugar. Trying to get all the right food in is a full time job!

Hi there. I don't have an opinion on this because my plan did not specifically call for sugar free food. I tend to think that if it is sugar free, it might contain a lot of chemicals. This thread is specifically for people to list off what foods they found helpful during the purée phase. You might find more people see your question if you post it to the Food and Nutrition forum as a new question. I can actually do that on your behalf if you would like.

By the way an apple still has 15 grams of (natural) sugar. There is nothing wrong with an apple!

Yes, I understand that an Apple has natural sugar. It has also been suggested to stay away from watermelons and grapes during the first several months because they have high amounts of sugar. I am in no way planning on cutting off my sugar intake I am simply following my doctors plan for the first several months.

Hi, I am new to this forum. I want to do as I am directed, but think I may have gotten ahead of myself My bypass surgery was April 16,2014. There seems to be so many different interpretation of what goes on what stage I am now confused. What I have been doing I seem to be tolerating and am losing wt. I am still working to get Protein up and drink more fluids. I really want to get my strength back and I know it takes more protein. I find I seem to be getting more foods that I cannot continue to eat. Just the thought makes me want to gag. Does anyone else experience that or is it a mental thing with me? I really need help anything you can add will be helpful thanks

We can have Beans (not refried), turkey, light tofu, chicken, crab, lobster, shrimp, and fish ONLY for our Proteins.

We can have carrots, green Beans, summer squash, peeled, zucchini, peeled, broccoli, and cauliflower ONLY. No raw.

We can add herbs and spices except with added sugar, lemon/lime juice, worcestershire sauce, sit sauce or vinegar, light mayo, Tomato sauce or plain fat free greek yogurt, ff broth or boullion.

NO juices, ice cream, sorbet, pudding, Soups, cheese, mashed potatoes, crackers/chips, breads, rices, pastas, or tortillas.

Obviously all need to be mushed/pureed.

We are NOT allowed to eat anything that is NOT on that list.

Do you have to keep carbs very low after surgery during purée stage and regular food stage?