Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Probably gonna tick some people off.......lol

I've been living in sweatshirts and fleece tops! Yeah, it's sexy for sure.

Last night I cranked the heat up to 75, had on a sweatshirt, wool socks and had a blanket over me.

My heat stay on 78

I've been living in sweatshirts and fleece tops! Yeah, it's sexy for sure. Last night I cranked the heat up to 75, had on a sweatshirt, wool socks and had a blanket over me.

yes, the chills happens to everyone. I found it to be worse between month 4-8. Somehow my body got used to the change after that and now I am no longer wearing gloves when out at the grocery store or cold when everyone else is in a tshirt. Fear not, it will get better. This winter (18 months), I hardly notice anything. In fact, my body almost gone the other way where it is warm in cold conditions. It is specially true after exercising. I can be in sub freezing temperatures (eg 20-30 f), in shorts, and still feel warm. Lol. And I do not have any layering with a body weight of 180 @ 5'11"

Edited by Fiddleman

Here is one thread about members being cold. http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/290470-anyone-else-cold-all-the-time/page-2#entry3298144

There are others out there as well.

Here is one thread about members being cold. http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/290470-anyone-else-cold-all-the-time/page-2#entry3298144

There are others out there as well.

Thank you for the link! Getting my Cuddle Duds now. I'd much rather know that this is a problem for others and that many find it long term than spend years thinking I'm crazy and waiting to warm up! On the other hand--shivering burns calories so... ;-)

I think that we just have some apples and oranges here... Excuse the spiritual stuff in the picture it was the best comparison I could find at the moment :) Why “Everything in Moderation” is Killing People Published on October 12, 2013 Written by: Kris Gunnars. I can’t stand it when the “Everything in Moderation” mantra is pushed as the right solution for everyone. There are biological reasons why some individuals can’t consume certain things in moderation, no matter how hard they try. That’s because many people are literally addicted to the junk foods they are consuming. Just like with other addictions, the only thing that works is abstinence. For addicts, moderation fails… every time. Many People Don’t Even Know That food Addiction Exists In the past few decades, literally hundreds of studies have explored how certain foods can lead to addiction (1). However, food addiction has yet to make it into the mainstream and many health professionals don’t even know that it exists… yet. I’ve seen many dietitians and other health professionals literally discouraging people from completely removing the addictive foods from their life. They say that such “extreme” methods are doomed to fail and will lead to feelings of deprivation. Even though these people mean well, they fail to understand how hopeless this approach is going to be when applied to food addicts. Chances are that people who are true food addicts will never succeed if they try to eat “in moderation.” They will continue to eat large amounts of junk food and suffer all the horrible consequences for the rest of their (much shorter) lives. There Are Biological Reasons Why Some People Just Can’t Consume Junk Food in Moderation Food addiction has a biological basis (2). Humans are hardwired to seek out behaviors that release a neurotransmitter called dopamine in the reward system of the brain. This is interpreted by the brain as “pleasure.” Many activities release dopamine… including eating behavior, sexual behavior and all kinds of things that make us feel “good.” This dopamine-driven reward is NOT a bad thing when it happens under natural circumstances. The problems appear when do things that release more dopamine than we were ever exposed to when our brains were evolving. Whereas real foods cause a relatively mild dopamine release, highly engineered junk foods that are loaded with sugar can have a very powerful effect (3). Interestingly, this is exactly what happens when people take drugs of abuse like cocaine… large amounts of dopamine are released in the reward system of the brain. For people with a certain predisposition, this can lead to full-blown addiction (4). When this happens, the “reward seeking behavior” takes over… logic and reason fail and the individual starts succumbing to cravings, despite knowing that it is causing physical harm. This is the reason smokers can’t just decide to “smoke less” and alcoholics can’t just decide to “drink less.” The logical part of their brain doesn’t have control anymore. People who binge eat and can’t control themselves around junk food have the exact same problem. Of course, this is all a drastic oversimplification. Addiction and the brain are incredibly complex subjects and there are many brain centers and neurotransmitters involved. My Personal Experiences With Addiction I can support this with some personal experiences… I am a recovering alcoholic and a drug addict… sober since January 4th, 2007. I’ve been to 6 rehabs, a mental institution, jail more often than I can count and several trips to the emergency room due to overdose. I was also a smoker for many years, but managed to give that up after multiple attempts. The reason I’m telling you this, is to demonstrate that I know how addiction works. I’ve been there… succeeded, and failed, many times. A few years ago, I realized that I had been developing an addiction to junk foods. Full-blown addiction, nothing more, nothing less. I had completely lost control over my consumption… I used to binge all the time and often ate thousands of calories in a sitting. I struggled with this for years. I tried literally everything… cheat meals didn’t work, cheat days didn’t work, pills didn’t work, supplements didn’t work and various different diets failed. “Moderation” sure as hell didn’t work either. Eventually, I realized that I was experiencing the exact same symptoms as when I was addicted to drugs. The cravings, the thought processes, the failure to set rules, the complete lack of self control… being addicted to junk food was the same as being addicted to amphetamine. Exactly the same. Just like with drugs, the only way I have ever been able to stop eating junk foods is by completely removing them from my life. Moderation failed, every time. As soon as I managed to give up the addictive foods completely, I lost weight… with pretty much no effort. I have since spoken to many of my friends who are also recovering drug addicts. They didn’t struggle with binge eating like I did, but they have confirmed that craving ice cream feels the exact same as craving a drug. Even though there are no reliable statistics available, I am personally convinced that food addiction is much more common than most people think. If you have problems with binge eating or have repeatedly failed to set rules about junk foods, then perhaps this is something you should look into. It might end up saving your life. The Other Side of The Story – Restrictive Dieting and Eating Disorders There is a strange dilemma here… there are also studies showing that restrictive dieting can cause binge eating and lead to eating disorders (5, 6). For this reason, being flexible with your diet may be a good idea for a lot of people. Some people can and maybe even should include some junk foods in their life, without feeling guilty, in order to reduce the likelihood of developing an “unhealthy relationship” with food. This approach can work for some people, NOT others. I personally think that people who have already succumbed to food addiction will not succeed unless they manage to avoid junk foods completely. For these people, the “everything in moderation” message, which literally discourages them from doing the only thing that works for addiction, is seriously harmful. This is just one of many examples where there are very few “truths” in nutrition that can be applied across the board. While including junk food in moderation can work for a lot of people, it is a complete disaster for others. What is The Solution? When it comes to addiction, abstinence is only the beginning. Sticking to it in the long run (preferably for life) is the real challenge. People who truly have food addiction may need much more than just a firm decision to stop eating the addictive foods. Fortunately, there are psychologists, treatment programs, self-help groups and 12-step programs (free) that can help with this. One thing is certain… a person with true addiction will never, ever be able to consume their “drug of choice” in moderation. Telling a food addict to eat junk food “in moderation” is just as ridiculous as telling a smoker to smoke in moderation, or an alcoholic to drink in moderation. It simply does not work, period.

I commend you Laura for you always insightful advice and for sharing your personal experiences. You are truly an inspiration to many. Keep up your good but hard learned/earned work on conquering the addictions that have/still plague you.

You get a standing ovation from me for your post.

I'm only 16 days post op, so eating a cookie sounds awful. I would like a turkey sandwich, though, or something chewy.

I am regretting the surgery at this point. I am cold and tired and depressed. The sleeve is helping me lose---I'm down 5 lb in 16 days, which isn't amazing but it's ok. The problem is that I realized I don't have food issues as much as time management issues (not that I don't like treats, I do). I hate that I can't just quickly grab a taco or a chicken sandwich on the go. Everything has to be cut, chopped, seasoned, heated, thinned, pureed, and then I have to clean all the damn implements, scrub grainy Protein residue away. Then I eat, and it takes half an hour to eat 2 ounces of blended Beans, all the while cooking a different meal for the family. In the meantime, email is going crazy, dogs and kids threatening anarchy, and husband just looks overwhelmed.

Like most working parents on this board, I am going non-stop from 6 am to midnight everyday, longer if kids are sick. What's embarrassing is that despite husband and I having successful careers, we just can't get our act together on the food planning end. I know other people do it--I'm ashamed that I can't.

I'm thinking the sleeve money would have been better spent on some sort of meal-outsourcing service. As it stands, the sleeve is just adding a lot of stress to an overloaded life.

--

I'm 17 days out and have regrets at the moment due to hernia pain and incredible lack of energy and feeling like I will faint every 25 minutes

I was in ER on day 11 for dehydration

I can't get down enough fluids due to hernia chest pain

I am losing weight pretty fast but I don't feel good and fear I may have to extend my time off from work -- I am sooo slow at doing everything these days which is the complete opposite of my pre op days; I'm 31 yrs old but feel so much older

I'm cold tired and depressed as well but hoping the sleeve helps me sustain long term weight loss and I'm able to eat without chest pain in the future

Hw in 2009: 293

Hw in 2013: around 260

Surg date dec12: around 236

Current weight: probably around 215 or less due to lack of nutrients & solids -- will verify soon -- I weighed 218 day 13 post op

I, too, had a hernia at 4 weeks out. I felt exactly the same way as far as being tired and no energy and major chest pain. Mine was from being stupid and lifting something heavy. But, after a week, i started getting my energy and started feeling much better. It will get better.

I, too, had a hernia at 4 weeks out. I felt exactly the same way as far as being tired and no energy and major chest pain. Mine was from being stupid and lifting something heavy. But, after a week, i started getting my energy and started feeling much better. It will get better.

I just had my surgery December18 so right now I am on creamy food but haveing trouble holding it down

This is a topic I am stil struggling with. Part of me says hey I had surgery because I have spent 50 years dieting and did not want to spend the next 50 doing the same thing. Thus I am hopeful that Portion Control will lead to results. However I also am aware that now a year out and still 45 lbs away from where I want to be that I would have made faster progress if I had been more vigilant. I also know for me eating higher carbs leads to a craving for more and more carbs. This year I went on vacation and lost 3 lbs, never would have happened in the past. This holiday I told myself I have dieted and denied and shamed myself through the last 30 years of holidays and I was not going to do it this year. I ate, I ate high carbs, I ate some stuff for the first time in a year, It for sure increased my hunger and my cravings, sometimes I woke up and went to fridge when I knew I could not be hungry....I gained 3 lbs..during thanksgiving and christmas ..then 2 days ago I said ok the holidays are over, I am back low carb and I feel good. Maybe this is how normal people eat, they realize they are less stringent during holidays or special times and then they get right back on track..maybe my relationship with food is normalizing......or maybe I am just a true fatty and lying to myself...dunno.....think I will go eat a string cheese

This is a topic I am stil struggling with. Part of me says hey I had surgery because I have spent 50 years dieting and did not want to spend the next 50 doing the same thing. Thus I am hopeful that Portion Control will lead to results. However I also am aware that now a year out and still 45 lbs away from where I want to be that I would have made faster progress if I had been more vigilant. I also know for me eating higher carbs leads to a craving for more and more carbs. This year I went on vacation and lost 3 lbs, never would have happened in the past. This holiday I told myself I have dieted and denied and shamed myself through the last 30 years of holidays and I was not going to do it this year. I ate, I ate high carbs, I ate some stuff for the first time in a year, It for sure increased my hunger and my cravings, sometimes I woke up and went to fridge when I knew I could not be hungry....I gained 3 lbs..during thanksgiving and christmas ..then 2 days ago I said ok the holidays are over, I am back low carb and I feel good. Maybe this is how normal people eat, they realize they are less stringent during holidays or special times and then they get right back on track..maybe my relationship with food is normalizing......or maybe I am just a true fatty and lying to myself...dunno.....think I will go eat a string cheese

How much weight have nu lost from the sleeve so far