Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fell Off the Wagon...How do I get re-started?

I know I am struggling even as a new bandster. I have to keep reminding myself how depressed I was when nothing I tried seem to work and then I just went into an abyss of being overweight and over-eating. I do not like that feeling. I do feel a little lighter even with only 20 pounds lost. I LOVE that feeling! food really isn't that important to me now. I eat to keep myself sustained and get in my Protein drinks. I need to continue to exercise and work in more of it. I need to drink more Water. The holiday goodies really do not appeal to me. The stuff from work I brought home to my husband. My downfall is carbs! I am a work in progress, and it is ok to mess up every now and then, I'm only human. Each day I need to find positive motivation and I get most of it from reading the posts here! We can do it!

Hi!

My suggestion for a way to get back on track is to get rid of whatever food you feel is creating a problem for you -- and do that TODAY, like as soon as you read this.

Make a pact with YOURSELF, not your doctor, for the next 7 days. Buy and eat only the food that supports the pact you make. It will be a challenge, but it's only for 7 days.

Some kind of movement may be helpful, too, even if it's just a 10 minute walk outside each day. But it could be 10 crunches a day or a set of leg lifts-- something you can realistically, easily set into a schedule. This is just to get something started. Not something uncomfortable or hard to arrange. Something you might feel like adding to at the end of 7 days!

Make the 7 days your only goal and notice how your body and your outlook on life feels when you reach that goal in 7 days.

Personally, I would make part of the pact to stay off the scale so that it doesn't influence you emotionally either way.

When I set a short-term goal like this, I feel excited at the end of each day because I was successful! The excitement and commitment starts to build on itself and creates it's own momentum.

One key is to not plan a reward at the end. (for me rewards usually mean food!)

OR another "method" is to put the money, you were about to spend on "goodies", in a jar...and at the end spend it on a movie, clothes, some non-food prize.

I have caught myself losing weight seemingly for my doctor, worried about what they will say or think, and giving them much more power than I will acknowledge for myself --- so, if you do that, too --->empower yourself, continue with the intervention you made on your own behalf. And remember: Doctors come and go. You will be here throughout your journey!

I know this is just a lot of words, but it might provide a spark or some encouragement that someone reading the words might be able to run with. Nothing works on it's own :)

In my own life, my downfall was the first time I tasted holiday cookie dough, 5 months after surgery. For me, it's best to just not do it. I know for others, it's fine to indulge on occasion (and actually can be helpful psychologically for some to indulge on occasion). My "on occasion" would have to be maybe once a year for now!

And most important, continue to love yourself NO MATTER WHAT. Without condition.

I'll be away for a bit.

Merry Christmas!

love, ~hiddn

You are doing fantastic, just a few lbs and you will be in onederland. What a great thing to look forward to. And you will see it very soon.

Try to read up on what foods are night in carbs and try to avoid or eat much less of them.

You might even want to purchase a book that lists carbs in foods and Protein in food. And most likely your family Dr has one right in his office. He gets them from the drug reps for his Diabetes patients. They really have to watch their carbs. Carbs turn into sugar, carbs make us look for. Ore carbs. Like a drug.

I know you will do fine'. Happy holidays.

Thanks for all the great advice! I am right there with you, KYBrownEyes! We will do this together!

I am with you Ilene. I fell off the wagon fromThanksgiving to Christmas. Tomorrow starts my new year and new me. I worked to hard to lose 70 pounds and I will lose the other 30 starting December 30.

Great deal. We r all going to win this...I am just now eating my Protein pudding. I order it online, I do it at night. For a snack, if you want to send me your email address, I will send it to them. I will get. $20.00 referral amd you will get $20.00 also for the first order. Pleas send you email address and your forts and last name. It is very good taste wise and low carbs, good protein content and not high in calories.

You have already taken the first step. . . . . you have admitted that you have a problem. . . . . . did you do any journaling the first time? . . . . . .maybe re-read your notes. . . . . did you have a family member or friend in confidence during your decision to have the lap band placed? . . . . . can you quietly & honestly share with them?. . . . would they help. . sort of like AA where they assist each other? . . . . . . these are just my immediate thoughts, as you don't want to go to your doctor or your bariatric center. . . . . . . though these people have seen it all . . . . . . . and what do you care what they think? . . . . . .you did this for you and not for them originally!

This site has some really knowledgeable folks and they will put their thoughts out here too . . . . . . . . . but my best wishes go out to you that you find your way to a cleansing and a successful re-start.

Edited by JOANNE M HOLL

I loved Ilene's post, her ups & downs with health issues, life issues and issues in general. I am her, but in NJ. I am back after a year of issue's and basically starting all over after losing 60lbs post lapband surgery 2 year's this month.ng

Depending on the snowstorm we're supposed to be hit with sometime tomorrow afternoon the NE, I have an appt with my doctor for another fill after being filled,{for a good 2 mths eating everything in site} unfilled, filled and unfilled a good 4 times in 2013. Down to approx 2cc's in a 10 cc band. First year, no problems at all until we were hit with Sandy and all the stress that went along with it the last 14 months. My feeling, although no one seems to have an answer medically or wishes to answer the reason why all of a sudden this occurred, I think it's due to the unnormal stress going on in my internally.

Finally back to normal with everyday normal stresses that I refer to as life, I am starting over, signing back on Bariatric Pal, getting reacquainted on new improved website, FitnessPal, recording my eating, thoughts and warming up my treadmill, getting my Leslie Sansone videos dusted off, No more excuses. I've come too far, bought smaller clothes I no longer can get into, feeling like I did before Lapband and 2 years older. I've put 20lbs out of the 60lbs I lost and if I keep on this track, I will regain it all and then some. I am not going to allow it. Once I get weighed in tomorrow night, get my fill, and start over, I will modify my signature here, learn all the bariatric terms and look in daily for support from all of you out there in the fight to be more healthy again. Thank you for all your support.

Hi: Please go back to the doctor, before you continue with this problem. I was afraid to facing my doctor too, but I was honest and I'm trying to get back on track. Good luck and keep us posted.

B-52, where can I find the band reset?