Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quest Bars are not what they say they are

I noticed this on reddit the other day. Seems like Quest is going to fight the case.

“Quest has been named in a lawsuit regarding our Fiber count. It is our belief and conviction that this lawsuit is without merit. The things a plaintiff states in a lawsuit are just that — – his statements. He doesn’t have to prove them to put them in the lawsuit. He just needs to write them down. Proof is another matter. We believe that what is written in this lawsuit results from not understanding the current state of Fiber science. We are fighting this case to make it clear to our customers and partners that our label information is 100% accurate.

Make no mistake, Quest Nutrition will not back down in the face of what we believe are attacks based on lack of good information. The outpouring of support from our customers and supporters on this issue has been overwhelming. We’re very grateful for the support, and we want to assure everyone that we are committed to bringing the highest quality products to our loyal fan base. We have nothing to hide and we look forward to a very visible public refutation of these unfounded claims.”

I know a lot of people have been suspicious about Quest bars with respect to calories and sugar, mostly because people who are sensitive to sugar (diabetics) etc. have reported their blood sugar levels go crazy after eating Quest bars, in a way that shouldn't happen if the labels are correct. If you google something like "Quest bars and blood sugar" or "Quest bars insulin" you'll see what I mean.

I'm wary of jumping on these kind of attack bandwagons. The bars work for me on workout days, half before, half after, very filling.

I'll start by saying I enjoy Quest bars as an occassional treat :)

That being said, and having read both links (the bars and the Pirates Booty), it reinforces my minds et that the very best food is real, unprocessed food. America has produced (processed!) SO many miracle foods & diet drinks in the last 30 years designed to help us lose weight or not gain weight in the first place, and what has happened in the last 30 years? America has exponentially increased its obesity rates. Add to it the ambiguity or outright "errors" in labeling, and we're really in trouble. There is no way to fudge the nutritional content of spinach, or an avocado, or some good lean meat.

K...I'll climb down off my soap box now.... ;)

I am really bad because I am living alone again so I am not going to cook a big meal just for me. At the same time, I have always doubted the net carb total that they list on the bars. I will eat one before I go to the gym when I feel like I need the extra carbs. I personally do not believe that all fiber knocks out carbs.

Recommended fiber per day is actually 14 grams per 1000 calories consumed. The 25 grams or so that you see referred to is a generic number based on the assumption that a woman eats 1800-2000 calories per day. I aim for 10 grams of fiber per day and usually get between 9 & 12.

Having read the full Class Action Complaint and the response from Quest?...

Quests lawyers are FAR better...

Having a legal background, it made me chuckle.

Let the crap-flinging commence! :D

I don't see how it's possible for them to have as much fiber in them as they say they do.

Isn't that what the article says? They tested them and there is not nearly the fiber that they are claiming?

a woman should be getting -minimum- 25g fiber a day. Without a Quest bar, I get around 7g.

I saw elsewhere that you avoid sugar and flour. Surely Quest bars have both? Unless they are gluten free and somehow sugar free? Which seems doubtful since people seem to get addicted to them.

Luckily/unluckily they are not sold anywhere I have seen in Australia so I have yet to try one.