Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yayyy i got approval... But now i have a major dilemma

So the great news is that after starting this process in August I just got approval for VSG and have set the date fir 12/27. I am a mother of 3 and busy executive with a major radio station..time is never something I have enough of..however in the last few weeks my moms health has taken a turn for the worst (she has Alztheimers). I moved her in with us a few weeks back and although she seems to be getting better since we've adjusted her meds I still help her with showering, dressing bathroom etc. I am at a loss as to whether I would be totally pushing the envelope to far by having surgery at this exact moment. I considered pushing it to end of January. My husband is super supportive and he has been juggling the kids and my mom with me (thank god). I am one of those people that always has lots of stuff going on at one time but this surgery is SO important to me and ive already waited so long for this surgery I just want to make sure I am the healthiest I can be and also have time to rest and fully recover after surgery. I know at the end of the day I have to decide what is best for me and my family but wanted to get some feedback. I do believe everything happens a reason so maybe I was meant to have the surgery end of January. Excited to start my journey!!!

Why can't you get someone to take care of your mom for at least two weeks, at your home. My suggestion is to take care of your health now..so that u can continue to take of your mom before her condition deteriorates further. Ask friends, family, or even hire an RN to help out. Best of luck to you on your new journey.

Thanks Carletta... I'm in the process of hiring someone I'm just nervous because its next week and I'm feeling unprepared. My mom doesn't even know I'm having surgery yet..I just don't want to overwhelm her. Whatever I decide my family will support. I guess because so much is going on I feel like I'm being selfish with everything happening right now. I am a control nut so I feel like I needs to be hands on with my mom right now but your right..other people could handle too

1. Hospice used to take a person for respite care a few days.

2. I am 67, I had surgery 11/18. Home the next day. I had 1 dose of pain med at home and none since. I rested 2 days, I think I thought I was supposed to feel bad. Within 3 days I was at the grocery store and have not slowed down since, shopping 3-4 hours at a time. I have double the energy I had, and a happy disposition again. If you have someone to help a bit you should handle this easily. Caution, we are all so different. Nothing makes me sick. I stayed on the lighter diet an extra 2 weeks with my husband who was sleeved 12 /2 and hospitalized 4 days. He had a catheter problem. I was at the hospital every day, walking about 1/2 mile to get to his room from parking. Best wishes! Life is sooooo much better!

Thanks Linda! I'm in south Florida...where do you live? So glad to hear your recovery was great...praying that will be me!! Thank you for your words!

I think you should wait until you're just a little more prepared, at least mentally. Linda may have not had any issues but I have a friend who had complications and took a little longer to heal. I think you need at least 2 weeks. This is major abdominal surgery.

I lost my grandmother to Alzheimers last year so I understand your struggle right now. But I also understand the sleeve struggle and you should go into this as mentally and physically (meaning help) as possible.

I think it is hard to find the right time. I would go forward with it now, but the recovery is hard. I had surgery on Thursday and did not feel like myself until yesterday. I am still very weak, but able to get around fine. You will need help, but no time will be perfect.

Good luck!