Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Fitness Challenge

6 more miles on the bike. 24 for the month

I just learned of this thread, so I need to catch up! Here are my goals:

30 minutes a day on the stairmaster six days a week and resistance workout an hour a day six days a week.

30 minutes a day on the stairmaster six days a week and resistance workout an hour a day six days a week.

That's alot of working out. Nice goals.

I had a nice 7.5 mile run today putting me up to 30.8 MTD. And I added a pawltry 20 lunges to my total..bringing that to 140.

I'm barely on pace to reach my running goal. Way ahead of pace to reach my swimming goal...I may shoot for 10,000 meters....but I'm way behind on my lunges goal. I'm telling you, those lunges suck. They are cruel and unusual punishment.

I'm almost on pace to reach my running

I had a nice 7.5 mile run today putting me up to 30.8 MTD. And I added a pawltry 20 lunges to my total..bringing that to 140.

I'm barely on pace to reach my running goal. Way ahead of pace to reach my swimming goal...I may shoot for 10,000 meters....but I'm way behind on my lunges goal. I'm telling you, those lunges suck. They are cruel and unusual punishment.

gosh just reading your exercise makes me go wow........i cant do all that (but i try to do my best with what i can)

i am so proud of you

Shoot! That's nothing compared to you, my friend! I ultimately want to complete a triathlon. Been a long-time goal, but I've never been able to get into running. I just suck at it! I've done centuries on my bike, done the MS150 several times, and my daily bike route is close to forty miles. But running? I just suck. Maybe you can give me some pointers? My BIL is a marathon runner...Disney, NY, and others I can't recall. But he's an elitist that can't relate to my not being able to get into running. Ugh!

Yes, lunges suck big-time!!! I really should do those more....would really help me on biking hills.

Shoot! That's nothing compared to you, my friend! I ultimately want to complete a triathlon. Been a long-time goal, but I've never been able to get into running. I just suck at it! I've done centuries on my bike, done the MS150 several times, and my daily bike route is close to forty miles. But running? I just suck. Maybe you can give me some pointers? My BIL is a marathon runner...Disney, NY, and others I can't recall. But he's an elitist that can't relate to my not being able to get into running. Ugh!

Yes, lunges suck big-time!!! I really should do those more....would really help me on biking hills.

That's exactly why I started swimming 2 weeks ago. I want to do a tri this spring. I'd be happy if I could work up to a Olympic distance tri....the run and bike ride would be no problem, but the swim...well I'm a long way away. I just keep reminding myself that when I started running, after 2 weeks I was still pathetic. But by 6 months I was doing my first half marathon.

Which MS150 rides have you done? I've done the Houston to Austin 3 times and the Valero: Ride the River 1-1/2 times. I say 1-1/2 because last time I did it, day 2 got flooded out.

Ironically, all of those rides were before my WLS. Since I started running, I've focused more on that than cycling.

As far as tips? I'd download the C25K app and follow it. Best thing I ever did.

Also, check out www.chi-running.com His books and dvds teach excellent running form for preventing injuries. I have 2 bad knees and that was the only way I could run without pain.

I also am a big believer in running in minimalist shoes....also to prevent injury. Whenever I run in thick cushioned shoes, my feet feel good but my knees start to hurt. I go back to my vibrams, and I have to be careful of my feet but my knees are rewarded with a much softer stride. Those combined with the chi running form and C25K are the keys that made it possible for me.

Last thing I would say is run slower than you want to run. Much slower. Everyone starts out too fast. Start out too slow, then build speed once you've built your base.

Exceeded my 3 mile goal today. I ran 3 1/2 miles which brings my total up to 11 1/2 this month.

Exceeded my 3 mile goal today. I ran 3 1/2 miles which brings my total up to 11 1/2 this month.

Woo-Hoo! I hope to be doing the same thing sometime soon! Good job!

I'm sucking at this challenge so far but I got to shovel snow today so I guess that burned a few calories. ;p

And built muscles!!!

That's right! I'd rather do sucky lunges than shovel snow!!! LOL Don't discount that effort! :P

No miles today, but got my plank done! I did get in some good minutes today. Cleaned kitchen, cooked a full Breakfast, swept and mopped, got two dogs bathed ( shih tzu) lots of hair! Laundry done, carpet cleaned in bedroom, dinner put in the crockpot, grocery shopping, back home had lunch, checked email, then took a two hour nap!

No miles today, but got my plank done! I did get in some good minutes today. Cleaned kitchen, cooked a full breakfast, swept and mopped, got two dogs bathed ( shih tzu) lots of hair! Laundry done, carpet cleaned in bedroom, dinner put in the crockpot, grocery shopping, back home had lunch, checked email, then took a two hour nap!

Ok....you had me cheering right up until the nap part.

Day 6 Insanity - can see ever so subtle changes in the shape of my legs, my waist. Probably wishful thinking. pulled something, a glute or hammy or psoaz, all I know is I broke my ass, couldn't do plank sprints today, and am slathered in tiger balm right now, sitting on a heat pack.

@Butter - My thyroid is fine, just had it checked. I had expected for it to be dead and was actually a bit disappointed to hear that it is normal.

Monday morning check in...I am at 31.75 miles so far for the month. I didn't get much this weekend with all the family activities we had going on so time to step it up. Good thing is, I picked up a fitness station at a garage sale Saturday for $30, that was fun moving that monster. Garage is looking like my personal gym now...lol

Keep up the great work everyone and go grab this week and kick it in the teeth!