Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doing my 6 month Dr. supervised dieting

Hello. My name is Rachel, and I am currently doing my 6 month doc supervised diet (as mandated by my insurance co.). I'm feeling a little down, though... because I cannot stick to a diet, and my eating continues to be out of control. As a part of the process, it is recommended that I lose aprox. 15 lbs. I haven't even lost one pound, and I'm 4 mos. into the process. I don't know why I overeat... I've convinced myself that I'm ALWAYS hungry, (even though I don't REALLY TRULY believe that). I think I'm addicted to food.. and I'm afraid that the band won't work. I'm 5'3, 240lbs, and DEATHLY afraid to do RNY, but maybe that's the ONLY solution for me... my doc's keep telling me that there are ways to 'trick the band', and that the band is just a tool, that I have to be committed. I AM commited, but I just can't stop eating.

I keep hearing that I need to find the cause of my over eating... I'm at a loss... Great kids, amazing husband, awesome job, no financial issues.... yet, something must be 'eating' me....

Anyone have any advice?? How on EARTH can I stick to a diet NOW, when I've never been abled to before???:eek:

Hi Rachel, Welcome to LBT.I think it is bloody ridiculous that insurance companies demand 6 month supervised dieting nonsense!:) Luckily in Australia this is not the case.

I think most people on this site are fighting with food addiction on some level, both pre and post banding. The issue will never go away. Luckily the band is an amazing technical device that works twofold by physically limiting what you can eat, and puts a literal clamp on your appetite.

Why don't you do a blog of your 6 month pre lap band supervised diet, and post pictures and thoughts about why you want the band? It may spur you on.

I wish you lots of mazel ( Luck, success) with this Rachel.

Susannah

Rachel, My name is Julie. I am on a pre-op diet also. Luckily mine is for only a few weeks however, my Dr wants me to lose 25 lbs. 2 weeks ago he would not do surgery on 3 patients because they had not lost their pre-op weight. I am so afraid that I might not make it. (But determined that I will). I am scheduled for April 2nd. I have lost and gained the same damn 5 lbs 3 or 4 times now. It is frustrating. I've never been able to lose easily as it is. 25lbs in 3 weeks is a lot considering the average weight loss after the band is 1 to 3 lbs a week.

I feel exactly the same regarding the whole diet thing!

I, too, have a great job, family life and marriage. There is NO reason for my wanting to fill my face ALL THE TIME!

Luckily my doc hasn't given me a pre op diet although I'm feeling like I ought to try and lose a bit of weight before I go for my op next week.

I'm truly hoping that the band will help me to feel satisfied with less food.

I just crave that full feeling all the time.

I'm told by my counsellor that the feeling of fullness is not the same as the feeling that we get now. Hence my thoughts and feelings on my thread in the UK local lap band support!

Just keep going and satisfy the insurance company. You're lucky in the UK we either have to wait for 2/3 years or pay for it ourselves (I'm paying! cost is about $6000 give or take)

Try not to worry about it, not losing much weight merely reinforces your need for a band.

Rachel - I'm just looking into banding (actually, I just left a message for the surgeon's office to call me) - but listen, I have a clinical psychologist I see - and she's helped me understand my overeating to some extent. are you getting any counseling? It might help you. I know I have a food addiction, and I think it's gotten alot worse since my husband died, I could have just as easily started drinking I think, and I think the reason I didn't is because I don't want to be a drunk with a five year old. so I thought food would be OK to find comfort in. I used to be quite a partier, and drank alot of the days of the week - I look back and can't believe I got through my 20's and most of my 30's that way. BUT, I kicked that, and I know I can kick food, too, but every night after I get my daughter in bed, I sit, all alone, and just have to eat something to take the edge off that loneliness. There's my underlying cause, and it's a pretty wide open obvious one, but maybe a good therapist could help you figure it out. Because it seem to me that the lapband is an important TOOL, but not a cure-all and if you have unresolved food issues you might have some problems. Just my thoughts.

but I feel for you. I HATE this food addiction. I will look right at what I'm about to eat and tell myself how stupid it is, while I'm putting it into my mouth. now that I've really realized it I've slowed down a bit, but it's still there.

I hope this is the tool that will help me kick this addiction. I feel that the pre-surgery counseling and meetings will really help.

I too had to do the 6 month supervised diet thing. I ended up gaining 5 or 6 pounds. My insurance company still finally (after a year) approved me and my husband for the surgery. Don't let that get you down.

I eat a lot also, even when I'm not hungry. I think mine is because of boredom. Now I think of all the things I'll be able to do when I lose this weight, or start losing this weight (I'm 5'8" and 298 lbs). Heaviest I've ever been. You know the thing I'm looking forward to? Sounds stupid, but tying my shoes without huffing and puffing and getting all red in the face. I can't wait.

I hope everything goes well for you. Just try to keep positive and look to the future, don't worry about the past, you can't do anything to change it.

Keep us all posted on your progress.

Jackie

This is my first posting. I'm sorry you are struggling. I've had to lose some weight before surgery and I was frightened. About 8 years ago I gave up on dieting and went from 160 lbs. to 236 lbs. But I decided I want to be healthy enough to care for grandchildren, one of my greatest desires! I've always said I can't lose weight because I have no discipline (as dreaded word to me). But I've lost my pre-op weight and have a tentative date for my lap band surgery of August 8th. Here's how I lost my weight--(1) asked for God's grace, bought a 1-month supply of Nutrisystem food, and bought and followed the 28-day exercise regiment in Jorge Cruise's book 8 Minutes a Day ( it helps so much--I don't exercise, but this is absolutely manageable), and I'm reframing how I think (Cruise's book helps here also). I know your pain; I'll pray for your success. I do have fears that I won't be successful, so I have to keep telling myself I can do it.