Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

N E 1 been Banded at Mt. Carmel col, oh

Hi Joyce/Sillypuddy -- Wow 9 days to go. That time has gone by fast and I'm wishing you all the best. I think the board is quiet due to the summer with everyone so busy, hopefully outside and enjoying the weather while we can.

I'm glad you are keeping the focus on the mental commitment things - you've got good advice there from your friend who said mental mental mental. I had got some counseling before I made my decision to get a lapband because I desperately wanted to lose the weight and was trying to deal with issues that would get me eating to "self medicate" as my counselor said. food was cheap and easily available and I had to refocus to think of food only as fuel for my body instead of comfort. I still goof up at times, (this weekend I found ice cream) but for the long haul I'm doing okay. I definitely would go back to counseling if I started struggling to keep off what I have lost or I get stuck and can't get this last 50-60 lbs off. I am one who also enjoys the compliments I have been getting now with this much lost but I have to remember to get Healthy -- that I need to lose this last 50-60 lbs.

Sorry, I have not posted in awhile, school started and have been busy. I am doing good, I have lost 18 pounds since my surgery which was on 7/6/09. I thought it would come off a little quicker. Had my first fill on 9/18 but did not notice a difference, maybe it will take another fill -still hungry about every two to three hours. Have not had problems with any food that I have eaten, but I am very careful to chew , chew, chew. Good luck Sillypuddy on you up coming surgery.

I posted on another thread that I've been having some acid reflux at night, enough that I'm taking some Tums so I have been told by another bandster that I'll probably need a small unfill. Planning to call the doctor on Tuesday and see if I can get in. Nothing drastic really but I don't want to let this irritation on my esophagus/stomach go on even though I'm not sure why it started. I have had the same fill level now since March (6 months) and I'm not eating bad so it might just be the exercise and what weight loss I have has made it shift a little and its too tight for how its positioned. Will post how it goes but I'm not too worried.

Well, tomorrow is the big day for me. A little nervous... Was supposed to have surgery at nine am,but they called,and now it isn't til noon. Bleh! I will be starved to death by then,and worse with the nerves. LOL Nothing I can't handle though...

K, hope you get rid of the acid reflux soon,and that it is just something minor. Please keep us posted! I will let everyone know how it goes with the surgery. Wish me luck,and keep me in your prayers,as I do with all you bandsters!

Joyce

Good Luck Joyce! You are in my prayers today!

Had surgery yesterday-the realize c band placed. I just got home from the hospital. Everything went very smooth. I have soreness,and some nausea,but nothing unbearable.. Thanks for your prayers-they must have worked. Now trying to figure out what I can put in my body. More later!

Joyce

Good to hear from you. I am glad you feel up to being on the computer. I didn't feel that good! I can't wait to hear some of the differences between the two bands. I think I have read you actually get to eat real food quicker with the Realize band, but I may be wrong. Of course listen to the doc.

I can't wait to hear more. Prayers are with you!

Shawna

I've got an appt Monday a.m. for an unfil and to see Dr. Miller. The acidy stuff hasn't abated and I have recognized I'm eating "easier" foods because to eat solid Proteins and veggies is harder which is a sign I need an adjustment. I'll post how it goes. For now, I'm doing soft foods and Protein Shakes through the weekend. Not gaining but not losing.

Sillypuddy, glad to hear all went well with your surgery.

I loved sugar free popsicles when I was at the liquids stage post op.

Hi out there to my Mt. Carmel bandster buddies - yep, that .5 cc unfill did the trick. Within a day, no more acid reflux and by 48 hours I can eat a salad or reasonable meal with Protein without a problem. YEA!!

Dr. Miller is conservative enough that he sent me for an x-ray of my abdomen Monday a.m. after he did the unfill to check my band position and I got a call yesterday that he reviewed the films and my band is doing just fine, no slip. YEA! YEA!!!

I did ask him if specifically if alot of abdominal exercises at the gym could have impacted my band and he said No, you'd almost have to take a solid hit in the stomach or have a severe coughing episode or something like that. So keep on working those abs at the gym!

I have to tell you that feeling like I can eat real foods again is an emotional boost that translates into a mental boost - I think I was getting depressed over the idea that something had slipped or I might just have to suffer with the acid reflux problem long term and I am so glad I went in to see the doctor. So, lesson learned, if you are doubting whether things are okay, make an appt to see the doctor and it will help to reassure you.

Mellissa Webb also shared at the Mt. Carmel Bariatric Support meeting that the stress I am under for my job right now is also having an inflammatory effect on your stomach so she said that once I am past my really tough deadline and extra overtime, that alone should help things too. Another reason to keep up the exercise to deal with stress instead of eating.

Congrats out to Cindy for the nice talk she gave at the support group meeting on exercise and working out, it was a motivating talk and she is doing great herself - I think she said she is at -118 lbs now and I'm so happy for her and all of us.

Hi All~

Nine days out,and feeling pretty good. I go back to work Monday,think I have how to get all the liquids,and Proteins worked out. I have post op nutrition class next wednesday-yeah! I am definately ready for something other than liquid! I think the thing with the liquids, it's all sweet tasting except the Soup, and cottage cheese. Anyone know what the pureed/soft phase consistes of? Right now, I am so concentrated on what amount of Protein I need to get in, I don't think of it as food, but kinda like fuel. I get the first fill on October 20-yeah! So far ten pounds gone! And does anyone know when the support groups meet? Have you all had one at Polaris lately?

K,so glad everything was ok with your band. You are always so informative,and upbeat! Keep it up!

Joyce

Mt. Carmel's Bariatric Support group for October is the 1st Monday in October at 6pm at MT Carmel West in the Auditorium which is in the basement level where the cafeteria is.

We had one of our informal get together's last Saturday at the Polaris mall. We can plan another for the 2nd Saturday in October at the Polaris Mall food court again. Hope to see you there.

Doing great since my tiny unfill. No acid reflux at all for 5+ days now. Amazing.

New topic for those in the bariatric programs who have struggled with Hair loss like I have even before WLS. It was something I have been so self conscious about and could never find a solution for. Well, I have a new product my hair dresser and I tried today that made me so happy I want to share with others. It is a product called Toppik and its hair fibers that are sprinkled into your dry hair after you have done your styling but before you apply your hairspray. The trial size bottle ordered off the internet was $6.50 plus shipping so its worth a try for a small investment. Now that I know I like it, I plan to order a bigger bottle. There are video links on the web site that show the product being applied and it was so fast from the time my hair stylist started that when she had the right side of the top of my hair done, she stopped and said this is amazing, what a difference that makes. We took a picture of it half way done and then when it was all done. I went into the bathroom to look very carefully up close at my hair and it didn't look fake or artificial at all. So, I don't get any financial compensation or anything from this and its up to you to see if you like it.

www.toppik.com

Hi All~

I am back to work now-this is my second week back. Went from laying on the couch post surgery back to work a 49 hour week-ouchy! LOL Actually it has been going great. I feel really good;that was the easiest surgery I have ever had! So easy I don't really feel like there is anything in there. I am getting hungry every few hours,and I am able to eat more than a cup and a half of food... I know they say they usually wait six weeks to give you a fill;anyone know if they ever give you a fill any earlier? I lost fifteen pounds the first two weeks,but the past week has been at a standstill even though I am excercising more... Did anyone experience what I am going through? I just don't feel any restriction at all, which has be totally bummed. I am going to call Melissa tomorrow;guess the worst I can hear is no. More later!

Joyce

Hi Sillypuddy. Yep you are right where we all have been in the past. Don't worry about these early weeks on. Just try to stay mindful of your portions and no, they held pretty strong to the waiting 6 weeks to give us a first fill and even then, they go conservative with the first fill and keep incrementally going up from there. Glad to hear your initial recovery has gone so well.

Haven't posted in FOREVER!! Finally made it to onederland slow but sure! Down 98lbs and feeling great. I have lots of reflux issues which led to an unfill and upper Gi. Nexium is my friend. Post more later just wanted to check in.