Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

excessive fluid / coughing when laying down

Wondering if others have the same problem?

Seems like after about 15 mins in bed I start to get

what seems a clear liquid, like a mucus in my throat. this causes

me to cough most of the night. I was having some reflux at night especially If i ate close to bed time. Now it seems that I get this Fluid

build up once lyeig down. Causes me to cough and sometime forces me to voimit out the fluid. It seems almost like I feel like I'm drowning or something.

I had the band put on almost a year ago on 3/27/06.

I'm down 80 pounds so really haventreally had any issues. I only had one fill adjustment in July but still losing about the pound a week so I dont think that the band is too tight. Thinking about trying a unfill since I'm kinda satisfied with my current weight right now.

More concerned about the possibility of asperating in some fluid while sleeping.< /p>

Starting to wonder if it might be a slight issue with pneumonia

I had aspiration pneumonia from a too-tight band, and my symptoms were identical to yours. If you ever wake up with chills and body aches, get thyself to an ER right away.

Aspiration pneumonia is nothing to fool with. It can be serious, and even fatal. I can't remember her name, but a young woman on one of the LB lists not only got pneumonia from being too tight, but one of her lungs abscessed, too.

I definatley think its reflux.

Sounds like something irritated your esophagus, which caused swelling, which could be the underlying culprit of these reflux issues.

Have you tried switching to liquids for a couple of days and see if this helped?

Of coarse, I need to reinstill the words, "Call your surgeon and get his opinion!" he may want you to take some acid reducering meds like otc prilosec or something of this nature! Could be very easy and simple to cure, with the right treatment/meds!

Sounds like reflux to me too. Try proping up your head at night. Also some say sleeping on your side makes it better. There are over the counter meds for acid reduction. Nothing to eat for 2-3 hours before bed, also try drinking 8-10 oz of Water to flush out the pouch. Some of us swear by aloe, it works wonders on an irritated esophagus. ~Mandy

If it's not acidy/bitter, just saliva...you are too tight. Maybe just a *slight* unfill would help. Just a drop. I'm dealing with this right now too.

If it's acidy or bitter, that's reflux. Also a sign of being too tight. But also could be a slip.

Either way, pay a visit to your dr.

Gbags,

Based on my experience - I think you need an unfill because you are too tight or your eating habits are causing you to irritate your band and swell.

I am struggling with the very same problem. I was filled in November and started experiencing these problems, so I had an unfill and the problems disappeared. So did my weight loss.

My last fill was in late January, and it was a very small fill. I do okay sometimes, but now find that unless I skip dinner and drink no fluids, I have aspiration problems at night. I am usually too tight to eat much during the day so dinner is the only meal I can really get solid food in.

I'm struggling with this. I keep hoping my fill will loosen up so I don't have to have an unfill. I don't want to get an unfill because I don't want to gain, but I don't know if I can realistically put up with this much longer. My husband is complaining about my coughing.

Think about what you are eating and if your eating habits have changed. If I am honest with myself, I have to admit that I may not be sticking to the rules as closely as I should. I have had a few rough days where I ate too fast, or ate the wrong thing and I have to vomit. That generally causes irritation and the result is a long night of aspiration and coughing.

I have only myself to blame when I don't use good judgement.

If my symptoms don't improve I will have my doctor do a partial unfill. I suggest you talk to your doctor about this, too.