Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't take it anymore!

What size band do you have? 9.75cm? 10cm? VG band? Which one?

If the band implanted was not sized too small for you, then I think there may be something wrong with the placement that is not evident in an upper GI. Maybe the only solution is to do exploratory surgery to see what's up with it.

Your symptoms are just not normal, so I don't think the upper GI/Barium swallow is telling the real story. Barium swallows can be deceiving - e.g., I've read about situations where a Barium swallow shows excellent restriction, but the patient can eat a foot-long sub.

I have a 9.75/4cc band, the small one. I asked early on about a bigger band and my surgeon swears that if I had a bigger band I'd never have the restriction necessary. I went to a GI surgeon for a 2nd opinion (he doesn't even know my doc) and he agreed. He said after an endoscopy that the band is placed perfectly and it is the right size.

I just need to end the spasms and that should take care of everything.

lapband4meNOW---what your Dr. has told you is true, the band is not designed to cause you to PB or slime in order to work. The band is not usually at fault in those circumstances---we are.

WASaBubble Butt is having band issues of a different nature. She has followed her band rules, and is still having issues.

Most slime episodes, leading to PB's are from us not following the rules, and eating to big of a bite, not chewing well, or simply eating too much. In my own case, I could have had a PB with no fill, if I had not paid attention to how I ate. Your Dr. can and should closely monitor your fill, and make sure you do not get too tight, but you have to do your part to not have those experiences.

"Bubbles" (!) has been in constant contact with her Dr., and the staff--as well as other medical professionals. It isn't seeming to be lack of care on her part, nor lack of attempting to help on the Dr.'s part. It just doesn't look like a fill or unfill is going to take care of the problem, it appears to be a bigger something going on.

I just didn't want you to get complacent with your eating habits, thinking the Dr. can keep you at a place that easily---because our bodies change on a daily basis, and what may have you loose as a goose one day, may find you tight the next....it is very fickle!!! I do think it is great that your Dr. is not pushing you to stay super tight, some do---my fill Dr. (not the same one who did my surgery) would prefer to keep me really tight, he recommends 3-6 bites and no more---if you can eat more, he will add fill for you. I do not want to be that tight---now or ever! Seems like that is asking for problems!! Plus one of the reasons I chose this is there was not an issue with malnourishment, but with each meal consisting of only 3-6 bites, you sure will be malnourished!! It sounds like your Dr is much more realistic!

Kat

I agree with everything you have written, but then... I usually do! :D

Hey there- I am SO sorry to hear how bad you are having it.

I think your stomach is swollen from the PBing and you are trapped in a cycle-

stomach swollen, causes PBing and sensitivity...

sensitivity and PB ing causes more swelling

and so on.

First I'd get rid of any fill you have- get it all out of there and go back to letting your stomach heal. Then I would get tiny fills- never more than .2 oz at a time... who knows, maybe you are one of those people who never needs a fill, the band is enough.

I wonder if he put in too small of a band.

I did break the cycle, the cycle I am all too familiar with! LOL

Tried 25mg of IM Dexamethasone x2, did no good.

Tried going on clears for three weeks. First bite of soft foods started it all over again.

I was able to see under fluoro what happens and as soon as the slightest issue touches my stomach (food/fill) it goes into automatic spasms and starts the entire cycle all over again. Spasms, swelling, closes off completely.

Already looked into a larger band, that won't help.

What I need to find is a drug that stops spasms. I'm working on various drugs for that now.

At the time I have 0cc in my band. Not even saline to fill the tubing. It's started all over again.

I'm going to keep trying various drugs and see what happens.

that is horrible- I am so sorry... I'll keep my fingers crossed that you will find a solution. :D

What is spasming? Your esophagus or your stomach? I have read of esophageal spasms happening to another bandster, but it didn't happen to her until she was filled to a point that was too much for her. She got a complete unfill, then gradually got filled to a point lower than where she got spasms, and has been fine.

It's disturbing that you are having this with NO fill. How can they be sure that a larger band wouldn't help alleviate this?

Spasms are in the esophagus. The pouch contracts and locks down. Mine does it too, but tnot the the same degree.

My band is sensitive and responds to sensation. If I consume something that the band can feel, it spasms. I actually have an easier time with solids than liquids.

It is much worse when I am tense, so fills are usually a waste of time and money. I lock in spasm when the barium hits and it is very hard to see adequate restriction.

I have never been so irritated as to vomit blood, but I am familiar with the irritated throat lump.

Hugs, WASaBubbleButt

Spasms are in the esophagus. The pouch contracts and locks down. Mine does it too, but tnot the the same degree.

My band is sensitive and responds to sensation. If I consume something that the band can feel, it spasms. I actually have an easier time with solids than liquids.< /span>

It is much worse when I am tense, so fills are usually a waste of time and money. I lock in spasm when the barium hits and it is very hard to see adequate restriction.

I have never been so irritated as to vomit blood, but I am familiar with the irritated throat lump.

Hugs, WASaBubbleButt

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!! That is it.

OMG there is someone else out there with the same problems. You understand. Thank you soooo soooo soooo much!

Plz check your PMs.

(((HUGS)))

WAS a Bubble But

Thank goodness your a nurse and can understand what is going on verses still being in the dark!

I sure hope that you and Morsaille can connect on your spasm issues.

What a horrible problem to have. I know how I felt w/my first band - like life was unfair that I should be cursed with reflux and unable to get adequate restriction because of the reflux. This problem seems similarly aggravating (but worse in terms of what you have had to suffer)! I hope you find a resolution.

Take care,

Yvonne

This is for was a bubble butt. Girl, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have been banded for a little over a year. I have lost only 20lbs, I had my band unfilled at the end of Nov '06 because of CONSTANT TROUBLE and my doctor's uninterest to help figure out what my problem was. I STILL get choked sometimes even through the band is not tight. It seem the tighter I got, the more I choked and the more I threw up. I always had the tight feeling in my throat. I became AFRAID to eat anything. I was getting to where I dreaded to eat. My doctor had me keep a food diary and he said I was eating good things but just too much of it. Well, so I got more agressive with going to get fills. The tighter I got the more trouble I had. My doctor wanted to do an endoscope even through he didn't feel there was anything WRONG. But, I PAID TOTALLY FOR THE SURGERY and I can just about bet my insurance would not pay for an endoscope. I am pretty much SICK of the band. It was a miserable exsistance for me the 10 months I had it tight and I just cannot get ready to try it again. I wish I had never heard of the band. It was not for me.

mustangelf---my DH has not been banded, but he had a massive GI bleed last October, caused by improperly handled blood thinners. What happen was he got sick at his stomach, and when he threw up, his esophagus tore---technically for those that know it, it was a bi-lateral Mallory Weiss tear, where the esophagus meets the stomach. They didn't give him much of a chance of survival, due to the fact he had been on blood thinners heavily for several months, and was bleeding out rapidly. Thank God he did live through it due to some inventive doctoring. Well in the last few months he has had the problems you are having. He choked seriously on things all the time. I have had to heimlich him several times, and last month he choked on a little bite of chicken, and we spent 12 hours in the ER. Well the chicken went down past his trachea,into the esophagus, so he could breath, just not swallow, or throw up---he was blocked totally! They tried several meds (glucogon, nitro tabs) to dilate the esophagus, nothing worked so they took him in and cut it, while inside the esophagus, and removed it, with the scope. The Dr. said his esophagus was horribly raw, and irritated. Told him he had acid reflux. He has never woke up with reflux ---I have for years! He coughs, but we thought it was a result of the efforts taken to save his life! He put him on Prilosec OTC (available everywhere) in the morning, and then on Protonix in the evening. He said that he could take the Prilosec 2 times a day, but the insurance covers once a day on the other!!! He has not choked at all since starting it! He does not cough, his throat no longer feels tight!

Prilosec is not dirt cheap, it is in the $20.00 range at Walmart----but it might be worth a try to see if you have the irritation of the esophagus he did. He explained that the motility is affected by the reflux, so it spasms, and at times such as this last one, can lock down on something, causing a serious choking situation. It would be MUCH cheaper than a scope. And regardless if it helps or not, it will not hurt you.

Good Luck to you!

Kat

This is for was a bubble butt. Girl, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have been banded for a little over a year. I have lost only 20lbs, I had my band unfilled at the end of Nov '06 because of CONSTANT TROUBLE and my doctor's uninterest to help figure out what my problem was. I STILL get choked sometimes even through the band is not tight. It seem the tighter I got, the more I choked and the more I threw up. I always had the tight feeling in my throat. I became AFRAID to eat anything. I was getting to where I dreaded to eat. My doctor had me keep a food diary and he said I was eating good things but just too much of it. Well, so I got more agressive with going to get fills. The tighter I got the more trouble I had. My doctor wanted to do an endoscope even through he didn't feel there was anything WRONG. But, I PAID TOTALLY FOR THE SURGERY and I can just about bet my insurance would not pay for an endoscope. I am pretty much SICK of the band. It was a miserable exsistance for me the 10 months I had it tight and I just cannot get ready to try it again. I wish I had never heard of the band. It was not for me.

Can I ask wher you had the surgery and the Doctor?

For 396power- I had surgery in Fort Worth with Dr. Adam Smith

So did I, Elf.....and your previous post concerns me a bit. I have issues, too and am scheduled to see Dr S on the 18th. I suspect either a slip or a dilated esophagus. Barring one of those, I don't know what to make of it. I've been banded over two years (11/29/04) and have been pleased, overall, until the last 6 or 8 months. I've gone in for two small unfills (didn't see the doc, however) but instead of resolving, it's gotten worse.

Did Dr Smith do a swallow study under fluoro for you? Did he suggest a scope by a Gastro? I had a CT scan of my chest and I have Fluid backing up behind my band. That was the radiologist's report - not sure what it means. But I have a hard time believing I have dilated my esophagus, as I cannot eat more than 8 or 10 oz at a time - even chunky Soup is limited to that.

My band has always been VERY, VERY touchy. Stress makes it tighten up like crazy. food that doesn't go down easily makes it swell up and hurt. I've always said, do not fight with your band....you will not win. And for me, that has been completely true.

I like Dr Smith, but if he doesn't have an answer for me, or doesn't appear to be interested in finding one, I am going to be VERY upset.

I have a very irritated esophagus and if my band has to be removed, it's questionable whether I will be a candidate for another one (for fear of causing Barrett's Esophagus). And I doubt my insurance would pay for a revision to another procedure because my BMI is 25.

Did Dr. Smith give you any feedback at all?