Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet Coke Lovers.......will I survive without it?

I was the same way before surgery. I used to grab a 44 oz Diet Coke on my way to work, another 44 oz when I got there, 44 more oz at lunch, two 20-oz bottles from the machine at work during the afternoon, and a final 44 oz 'for the road' on my way home. When I met with the nutritionist and actually realized just how much Diet Coke I was drinking a day it boggled the mind. I used to joke that I drank a 'wastebasketful' of the stuff a day. No wonder I had trouble sleeping!

I gave it up cold turkey the day before surgery. I remember having such a horrible headache in the hospital and telling the nurse about it. I thought it was surgery related, but she knew the cause right away -- caffeine withdrawals. The headaches lasted for the first three days after surgery,but I have not had a soda since October 8th. Every so often, I get a craving, but so far...I haven't given it and have only had Water, skim milk, Protein shakes, and the occasional glass of juice. My skin absolutely glows now.

I have found a great Water 'enhancer' for the times that I feel the need for a little flavor. Water Sensations are liquid flavor packets sweetened with Splenda. I like them better than the powder packets like Crystal Light. They offer a more subtle flavor and the water stays clear.

You will be amazed at how differently you look at things that you used to think you could not live without once you get banded. I've only been banded for five months, but so many of those things -- even if they don't get stuck or hurt going down -- just aren't worth it anymore. You know that overused saying about how nothing tastes as good as being thin feels? Well, nowadays, to me, it is more 'nothing tastes as good as being HEALTHY feels'.

I was the same way before surgery. I used to grab a 44 oz Diet Coke on my way to work, another 44 oz when I got there, 44 more oz at lunch, two 20-oz bottles from the machine at work during the afternoon, and a final 44 oz 'for the road' on my way home. When I met with the nutritionist and actually realized just how much Diet Coke I was drinking a day it boggled the mind. I used to joke that I drank a 'wastebasketful' of the stuff a day. No wonder I had trouble sleeping!

Wow, Mary Sue!! I tho't I was bad -- I have a fairly steady addiction to the 44 oz. Diet vanilla Cokes from Sonic. It's bad enough that ALL of my family members have reloadable Sonic cards and cell phones and they know better than to come home without checking to see if I need one. :(

But I can sip on one of those things for hours and hours. It actually hampers my attempts at weight loss tho' -- because if I have a Route 44, I don't eat and my metabolism never gets 'turned on'.

I was and probably still am a Diet Coke addict. Not as bad as some and not as good as others. I stopped for over a year, not a drop. Never look back once you are off the stuff! I am back to a can or so a day. No worse for the wear I suppose, but I think I crave more sweets when I am on the old coker! Good luck......what is DH?

POPT

Tracey

I drink what I call "Water Cocktails"

I have a one liter bottle that I mix them in. I use filtered tap Water and I flavor with several things. Propel (too sweet on it's own); "Healthy Balance" or Lite fruit juice; any other flavored water; liquid Protein. I just add enough flavoring to make the water interesting - and I keep track of the liquid calories so it doesn't get out of control.

I also drink unsweetened ice tea or coffee. My doc says caffeine in moderation is ok - so I never had to give up the blessed bean. Ahhhh.... life is good. I never miss the soda, so long as I can keep my daily coffee.< /p>

But just so you know - I never heard of anybody dying from soda (or even caffeine) withdrawal. :biggrin1:

Hugs and Luck!

I loved my Diet Coke, too. I had switched to Caffeine Free years ago, so I did not have the headaches. I do miss it, but I have been very good, and sticking with the Crystal Light.

Diet Coke has been associated with osteoporosis, among other things, and I do want to watch out for that, also.

Went for a fill yesterday and my doctor actually said that I was IMAGINING my caffeine withdrawl headaches!!!! I couldn't believe he was serious. I thought he was smarter than that.

Christine

I was a Dt Pepsi-aholic. When I talked with the dietician she suggested weaning myself off the pop as soon as possible. I miss it a little but I drink a bottled Water of Crystal light every morning. My Dr & dietician said I can't drink pop ever again due to the fact that the carbonation will stretch out the stoma. I've been thinking about just trying a little but worried about ruining the $20,000 worth of surgery!! I think I'll wait yet - I'm not missing it that much!

I am now 8 days Post-op and 8 days no diet coke!!! I've had 2 or 3 Strong cravings. At least I missed out on the caffeine headaches since the first few days after surgery I was drugged up!

My brother had gastric a few years ago and he was a diet coker, he said that he took a sip a few months after surgery and it tasted terrible!

I just have to accept that my diet coke days are over along with obesity and my bones and teeth will thank me, too!:)