Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Horror stories?!?

Just wanted to point out that choosing the right surgeon - one with lots of experience and associated with a center for excellence - can drastically reduce your risk of complications. Even my insurance company's website recommends researching and choosing an experienced surgeon because - in their exact words - there is definitely a 'learning curve' in weight loss surgery. Choosing the right surgeon is probably the most important first step.

Hi. The worst and saddest story Ive read is one in the Complications forum called 'Family Still Suffering ... ' if you can't find it' date=' search for the word 'hunny' as that's what she calls her boyfriend. It's an awful story and basically comes down to his surgeon not doing the job properly. It's worth knowing these things and choosing your surgeon on his/her results but don't let them put you off. There are some great facts on this thread earlier (I think) from DLCoggin that help :-)[/quote'] I read her story soo sad!! I picked a great surgeon.. He's done over 2000 WLS and has more then 10yrs experience... I should be having my surgery Jan/Feb of 2014.. I'm doing all my homework.. It's good to hear other people's story good and bad.. Thank u

Just wanted to point out that choosing the right surgeon - one with lots of experience and associated with a center for excellence - can drastically reduce your risk of complications. Even my insurance company's website recommends researching and choosing an experienced surgeon because - in their exact words - there is definitely a 'learning curve' in weight loss surgery. Choosing the right surgeon is probably the most important first step.
I agree with u 100%... I live in Rhode Island and my Surgeon has over 10yrs of experience and has done over 2000 WLS.. I'm pre op and hope to have rny the beginning of 2014

I have a "horror story" someone shared with m when I told her I was having my surgery.

Okay, more like a single sentence, " I hear it makes you crap your pants."

I didn't let her scare me. I had it done on 10/28/2013.

Just thought I'd add my true story to the mix.

:D

Actually, this is good call; it actually may happen if you are not careful what you eat, have bad case of dumping and won't make it to the restroom. I am always super careful what I eat and never experiment if I'm not home.

A horror story is what my mother in law went thru/is going through.

She had her RNY 3 years ago. Was close to 300 pounds, 4'11, bmi 53. (Before she got big, when she was 18 she weighed like 90 pounds.) she got her surgery within 3 months of applying, and had a horrible slow recovery. She ended up staying in icu for over a week due to complications from the surgery. She couldn't eat a thing for months, couldn't keep anything down, constantly puked, didn't work because she was too sick to function. Finally months later she was able to start eating but every time she did, no matter what it was she violently puked. Going places with her was a nightmare because we always had to leave because she was so sick.

Now, 3 years post op, she weighs 100 pounds, if that, and is in worse health than before the surgery. She looks like a diseased sickly person. Not at all what you want to be after losing weight. Due to lack of Vitamins and nutrients she lost all her teeth, most pulled from being rotten, her face is sunken in so bad she looks like a skeleton, she is weaker than anyone i've ever met. Just today she couldn't open a jar of sauce that i barely touched it and it popped open. She never eats. and still pukes when she does. Her skin hangs so badly it's mindblowing. Her bones are so brittle according to her she re-breaks her rib once a month or so. She lost almost all her hair. She is full Hawaiian and had beautiful thick hair, now it's think and barely fits in a ponytail.

I have witnessed all this first hand. She was so much better overweight,. unhealthy, but a normal person. Her troubles made me think i never ever ever wanted this surgery, But after talking with her for hours i believe she doesn't try enough to take care of herself. She doesn't take Vitamins, she doesn't go see a doctor for her troubles. I let what she is going through be a lesson that no matter what, with this surgery I have to be strong and keep a healthy lifestyle no matter what obstacles are thrown in my way.

What she is going through is a horror story to me and a nightmare. I love my teeth, and my hair, and even though i am over weight i value my health and my strength. May not be the horror story your looking for but is an example of a bad outcome and poorly taking care of yourself.

Guest Cindee

I'm 58 5'7" and weighed 367 2 1/2 years ago when I had the surgery. The first 6 months I ended up in the hospital from dehydration. I was drinking as much as I could and obviously that was not enough.

Since then I have had extreme problems with my right leg. I've always had vericous veins but with my weight loss 207 pounds (I weigh 165) I suffer excutiating pain in the one leg. The Dr said because there is no longer fat supporting the veins in my leg that is what is causing worse pain now. I had a RFA proceedure on it (cauterization of the vein (radio frequency abulation)) and it didn't work at all, I still had pain. I had another proceedure on the same leg where the Dr removed the big vein from my ankle to my groin. He made 75 cuts down my leg to get the vein out. I still have pain!

When I eat, almost immediately I have to use the restroom. It happens about 90% of the time. It's a real problem when I'm traveling, I have to wait around for about 20 minutes to be safe. Sometimes the roads you're on do not have facilities available for miles.

My hair is so thin you can see my scalp thru my hair. I eat from 60-100 grams of Protein a day and still drink a Protein Shake daily but I still lost hair and it won't come back. Than goodness I wear a short mans style haircut!

It's really frustrating for me now cause I have more energy and I want to do more things but because the weight damaged my back and legs even though I want to walk for a long time. I can't. I can't have anymore surgery, I've already had 5 major surgeries and I choose to not have anymore so really I'm stuck.

To top things off I just had a bowel obstruction. I had to have surgery! Dr sicnr know if it was something I ate or abdominal scar tissue from past surgeries. I was in the hospital longer than whe I had my roux en y.

I may look better but I sure don't feel better. I hate the way I Luik under my clothes. My stomach used to be an apron and now it is a lose blob of skin that hangs half way to my knees. I have a lose chicken neck, jiggly arms and the skin on my legs, butt and back just fell. I look like I'm melting. A plastic surgeon told me that EVERYONE that loses over 100 pounds requires some form of plastic surgery. My stomach I get terrible rashes underneath and I'm constantly rubbing it with cream medication to prevent fungus from growing.

I know that at 367 I would not have lived as long but at least I was healthier. I felt better and enjoyed my food. Did I make the right choice? Not sure!!!

Good luck to you!!

The decision to have weight loss surgery should be a personal decision. To have or not have, what type, what not. Every procedure, every doctor, every clinic needs to be researched by the person making that decision. I had the band, my first choice, was it the right choice, at the time it was. But three years later, had I not switched doctors, I would be writing my horror story. My band had slipped but I didn't even realize it as I didn't have a problem. So, with every surgery whether WLS, or any other type, there will always be someone out in the world who can tell a horror story. But in the end it is still up to that particular individual who is trying to make that decision, to make that decision. They need to also read the good stories, the good results, and research, research, research and always, always be pro-active in their own health care. Those are my thoughts, and at 71, I'm doing great with my RnY as I did for the three years with the band.