Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what pre op diet helped you most?

I was recently switched to this surgery and have a month maybe month and a half to prepare. My doctor said any weight loss before surgery is good. I was thinking low carb because I am hoping to be able to avoid carbs after surgery. Did this help anyone else?

I did two Protein Drinks a day and a small salad and a 4 oz piece of meat. Before surgery it is difficult to stay on a low carb, low calorie diet, I remember seeing a skittles candy on the ground and thinking my that looks good! After surgery, for me, I am not hungry - so you need to find something that works for you and your body. Listen to your doctor - the weight will come off with surgery.

I had an elastic ring that I paid for that keeps me from streching my pouch - I measure just about everything - because my eyes are always bigger than my pouch - once I eat more than 3 oz, I do not feel good and sometimes dump.

My understand of the elastic ring is that they can cut it off without surgery but they can not put it back without surgery.

Can I ask what you mean by elastic ring???

Not plastic - elastric ring that sits on top of the stomach - it was an extra $375 not covered by insurance to have it placed during surgery. Helps with not being able to stretch your pouch - 3 oz is it for me and maybe the reason I have such issues with sugar - anything more than 2 grams of sugar and I dump. I will see what information I have on the ring and will post later today.

Information regarding the elastic ring - All gastric bypass patients are encouraged to consider the placement of a silastic ring. The procedure is the same as is performed for Gastric Roux-en-Y with one modification: a silastic ring is placed around the pouch just above the connection between the gastric pouch and the bypassed intestine. This creates additional restriction for patients, and many surgeons believe that the ring helps patients avoid weight regain in the long term.

Interesting. I will have to look into this. Thanks for the info.

From what I found so far, it's for a vertical gastric sleeve. Still looking into it.

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I copied this from another site. All gastric bypass patients are encouraged to consider the placement of a silastic ring. The procedure is the same as is performed for Gastric Roux-en-Y with one modification: a silastic ring is placed around the pouch just above the connection between the gastric pouch and the bypassed intestine. This creates additional restriction for patients, and many surgeons believe that the ring helps patients avoid weight regain in the long term.

' date=' I remember seeing a skittles candy on the ground and thinking my that looks good.[/quote']

I totally understand! A friend at work was eating skittles the other day and the smell drove me nuts! Lol.

My pre-op diet is high Protein, low carb. I also Protein Shake one of my meals. Hard at first, but it gets easier. It helps when I am not in the mood to sit down and plan my meal on My Fitness Pal.

I am starting a pre-op ketotic diet on the 7th for surgery on the 22nd. It's high Protein (105g protein) low carb (20g) per day. Pick 4 Proteins at Breakfast and 1 fat, 5 at lunch and dinner with 1 fat. Plus, you get a small snack. I add a large portion of non-starchy veggies at each meal. You get to choose 1 carb per day - piece of bread, small piece of fruit, etc. If I feel dizzy or light-headed, I can have a 1/2 cup of applesauce to elevate my blood sugar. Nutritionist told me that most people lose between 10-20 pounds on this particular diet. It's like a re-vamped Atkins. I've seen half and half on this website. Half seem to be doing this particular diet, another half seem to be doing the liquid diet. I have seen both good and bad regarding both. I think it is more dependent on what your doctor's protocol is and also, what will benefit you.