Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My First 'stuck' episode...now what?

Hey all...

Being back to work, I wasn't paying attention to the slices of turkey I was eating. As a matter of fact, I'm certain I just bit, chewed and swallowed. Then came the PAIN! I didn't panic, as you've all educated me on what would happen. Anyway, now I feel 'sore'. Never PB'd or slimmed...just waited for the pain to go away, and everything unstuck.

Now what? Should I only do liquids the rest of the day? I feel 'sore' in my chest now.

Thanks

Sheri :think

Drink something warm if you can -- that will probably ease the residual pain some, if not all the way. I do hot mushy food more than liquids until I feel better if I've gotten stuck -- Tomato Soup with cottage cheese in it, or something like that. Liquids would be even better, but mushies are probably ok, IMO, since you didn't actually throw up.

Feel better soon.

I would do some warm herbal tea for now, and take it easy the rest of the day. Not liquids maybe, but mushier stuff.

You all are a virtual lapband library of knowledge. Every day I'm amazed to learn a little more. This forum is a wonderful tool! Note to self: Eat with as little distraction as possible!

Since I'm just back to work now...I simply was NOT paying attention. Wow - that really hurt! I'm CERTAIN it could have been much worse. I'll get on the mushies for sure...liquids tonight though! UGH

Thank you all for your input!

ooh been there and done that. I hope you feel better soon, in the meantime I agree warm liquid or warm mushies. Treat yourself to something yummy and yet healthy, my fave in this situation is really warm Water with a tablespoon of honey and a squeeze of lemon, it really soothes and is especially great after a PB episode cause it really helps the throat a lot. Or hot Cereal, yumm.

Well, I tried some cream of chicken Soup for lunch - and it just wasn't 'good' for me - I chose to eat nothing. **Think I had my fill of cream Soups during post op care. So I had a few cups of hot tea with honey, and soreness was gone in a few hours.

For dinner I stuck to mushies; I had 1/2 piece of stuffed tilapia filet. AND...I'm full - nothing stuck. Whew!

Thanks again all!

Now that THAT has happened, I don't fear it. Still fear the PB though! :omg:

Cindy-

Stands for "Productive Burping" or even "PBandster Barf". Okay, I made the second one up. LOL.

When food (that you didn't chew well enough) can't make it through the stoma (or hole where your band is) then it comes back up.

Usually people feel pain, a "golfball" or pressure in their chest and start "sliming" with mucusy throat goo coming up... Then they have a dainty little bandster puke-fest and feel better.

Or something. I'm just repeating what I've read, not banded yet, so YMMV. :)

Jack,

Glad you liked my description! :eek:

Brewa,

Nah, it's taking F O R E V E R . . .

:eek: I'm getting excited to have surgery over and done with. I wanna be losing already. I know, I'm impatient. :D

Well Cascadian may not be there yet but I think it's a really accurate description. The first time I got sick, I was rushing (lesson number 1: don't rush) and I tried to relax and let it pass. It just was not going to happen. So I excused myself, because of course it had to happen in a public place. Tried putting my finger down my throat to no avail. Then just a simple cough and out it came. Instant relief and no pain. It's not like throwing up in the preband world. I highly recommend that you don't do this at all...eat slowly, chew your food well, pay attention to what you're eating. But if it happens, realize it's not the end of the world. Learn the lessons and move along. I've done it to myself three times which apparently makes me a slow learner...lol :peace:

I would say that how "dainty" it is depends on how blocked the stoma is. Just a little equals dainty, downright stuck equals evil wretching and for me 2 days of liquids, don't ever wanna go there again.

:think Anyone get the stuck feeling one week post-op just from trying to drink fluids??? My surgeon explained he inserted the smaller size band hoping that once swelling went down the tightness would ease, rather than inserting the larger size band which would be quite big for me. HA! Who ever thought I'd fit into a size small!!! Has anyone else had this experience. Right now I'm miserable and need some hope. Thanks!