Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, well maybe not but sometimes I feel like it. Yesterday, as in March 7, was definitely not my best day ever. I got in to see the NP because they had a cancellation. I wasn't scheduled to see him until next week. After doing ok and following my bandster plan, going to therapy, the dietician, etc., I was confident that I needed a fill. I am not getting full on normal band portions without drinking.

So, he went to try and access my port. Its been difficult to access since day 1 since its been tilted and my fills have always been a little traumatic. The one prior to this caused me (in part) to go an a band hiatus:rolleyes: So, he did a great job and it wasn't terribly painful but it did seem to be aggravating him that he couldn't get it. He mentioned that there was a remote chance that my port had flipped and he sent me for a stat X-ray. I had to run over to the hospital where I worked to get the X-ray. By this time, I'm stressed, sad and freaking out because I may need a port replacement. I ran upstairs to speak to a supervisor after my X-rays. I'm almost in tears already and she gives me a tongue lashing and says that I'd better be at work tonight. Not one ounce of concern for me. I DO NOT call in sick EVER to work. I mean NEVER. So for me to say that I might be late was VERY unusual. But, whatever...

I ran the X-rays back to the NP to look at and the verdict is that the port is still tilted, only a little more than last time. The good news is its not totally flipped. So, no replacement. But, my belly was already bruised and starting to swell so we decided to leave well enough alone and try again next week or the next. SO, still no fill...:think :confused:

hI, I hope u are feeling a blittle better bu now. Sorry to hear about the problem with the fill. And very pleased for you not to be having a new port. Good luck when younext try for the fill. Hang in there Girl.

Take care

Mrs D

Geez that stinks! I am glad it hasn't flipped over, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that it stays right side up (or as right as it can). Shame on your supervisor for being so mean. I probably would have retorted something like, "Gee, I *thought* I was going to be merely late, but now I feel a little flu coming on, I won't be able to come in at all." But then again, I can be a little difficult.

I wish you the best, keep up the good fight.

I'm sorry you had such a terrible day yesterday :confused: Is it unusual to have a tilted port? And is it usual for it to be MORE tilted the next time they check it? Can they go in and straighten it out? I'd be SO frustrated!! So I totally feel for you!

I'm sorry you had such a terrible day yesterday :girl_hug: Is it unusual to have a tilted port? And is it usual for it to be MORE tilted the next time they check it? Can they go in and straighten it out? I'd be SO frustrated!! So I totally feel for you!

My first fill was a little difficult but the NP got it. The next visit, there was a new NP and he was still learning. He tried and couldn't get it so the surgeon came in and he went right to it. The other surgeon in the practice tried forever once and could not get it and by the time he was done, I had a bruise the size of Texas on my belly and I was quite teed off. So, it was decided that the port was probably sewn in a little off kilter. The NP said yesterday that if I did a lot of situps, it could cause my port to flip completely over. Like I needed an excuse not to do situps :heh: I asked about needing another port and he said as long as it isn't flipped, with the X-ray images, he should always be able to find it now. So, that was encouraging. I would be out of pocket for the port replacement so I'm grateful that its not needed.

Courage and comfort in your journey.

When you are ready, a little discussion with your supervisor may be in order....perhaps she doesn't understand, perhaps she is responding to her own issues....perhaps she is trying to be a jerk....

Thanks, Jack. You are so awesome. This isn't my regular shift supervisor. She's covering because our Lead is on vacation. This was typical behavior from her but thankfully, I'm not confronted with it often since she's a daytime supervisor. I called the Lead since we are also good friends and she wasn't too happy about how I was treated while she was gone. Her sentiments were similar to FaithMDs because she knows I'm reliable almost to a fault.

I agree with Jack. That was absolutely the most thoughtless thing she could have said. Just a little word of kindness can go a long way and there are so many people that just open mouth and speak before they think. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope this straightens out for you on it's own. Just keep your chin up.

Yup, she is thoughtless, and it is a shame she has a supervisor position. Also a shame that such flawed individuals have such a position!